Talk

Advanced search

Bounty Things Kids Do Competition

(7 Posts)
dahville Mon 29-Apr-13 02:09:55

Has anyone else been stung by Bounty and the recent video competition they tried to run?

The basic premise was send them a video of your LO doing something cute and you would be entered into a weekly draw to win a gift certificate.

Their rules were quite unclear; videos were being uploaded straight from e-mails and some personal information got exposed on youtube (e.g. real names, e-mail addresses, home addresses, phone numbers, etc.). See this blog post for the full information (note - not my blog, this is another mother who wrote this up): www.distractionsfromdepression.com/?p=849

I am thinking of complaining to the Information Commissioner?s Office for a breech of privacy.

I am wondering how many other people got stung by Bounty on thi.

somedayma Mon 29-Apr-13 02:25:18

how did you get stung? confused surely you don't think companies do stuff like this just for fun?!

dahville Mon 29-Apr-13 02:44:10

No, I'm not so naive to think any corporation I share information with, including mumsnet, does it out of the kindness of their hearts.

I was stung by Bounty exposing personal information as described above on youtube.

I see this as a privacy breech and think they should address this instead of blaming their members.

I am curious whether othe mumsnetter got stung by their info being exposed and whether others see this as a security breech.

quoteunquote Mon 29-Apr-13 10:22:19

you are being unreasonable having anything to do with Bounty

ChaosTrulyReigns Mon 29-Apr-13 10:30:44

Um.

Wouldn't it be quite circumspect to just send info that you were happy being published to that sort of shenanigsns?

dahville Mon 29-Apr-13 13:06:05

Um, no. Corporations have a duty of care to protect users' information. Even a corp like mumsnet, lest you hold any illusions.

dahville Mon 29-Apr-13 13:11:01

I had never had any negative dealings with them in the past; though I have just read some of the terrible stories on the threads here.

The Bounty lady on my maternity ward was quite innocuous, when I said no she wished me well and was on her way.

I have never distinguished between entering a contest here or on Bounty or another parental site, they are all quite samey up until now. Not so much anymore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now