Talk

Advanced search

Tattoos and older teenagers

(39 Posts)
foreverondiet Sun 28-Apr-13 15:33:25

I don't want start a bun fight just interested really - am I being unreasonable to think that 18-21 years olds should not be allowed to get tattoos in very visible places? My friends dd is 19 and in last year or so has got over 10 tattoos. The first few where fairly well hidden.... But more recently ones on neck ankles forearms, hands. It's now making her employment options very limited. She did a course in public service with a view to being a policewoman - I said but don't you realise that these visible tattoos are going to make that unrealistic - she said yeah but I was a bit drunk and my friends egged me on and if seemed like a good idea at the time. She is now looking for any job but many options are now difficult.

Yes because people over 21 never make silly decisions. hmm

Sirzy Sun 28-Apr-13 15:40:11

18 is an adult, they are old enough to make their own daft decisions.

I would have a bigger issue with the tattoo artist who tattooed somebody who was drunk.

MissSG Sun 28-Apr-13 15:40:25

I live by the saying 'Never judge a book by its cover' and I think that everyone should have that philosophy.

likeitorlumpit Sun 28-Apr-13 15:43:16

yabu. love that saying missSG its so true.

landofsoapandglory Sun 28-Apr-13 15:44:55

DS1 is 18.5. He is perfectly able of making up his own mind about tattoos, and everything else. He knows my opinion on them, but it's up to him at the end of the day.

Why can't she join the Police? There are loads of police with tattoos.

FeckOffCup Sun 28-Apr-13 15:46:58

No reputable tattoo artist would tattoo someone under the influence of drink or drugs, I would be more worried about what else is going on in that place and possible cross contamination than the tattoos themselves if I was her.

SerotoninCanEatTomorrow Sun 28-Apr-13 15:47:23

Police can have visible tattoos as long as they are not deemed racist or otherwise offensive.

Naysa Sun 28-Apr-13 15:50:04

The issue is the fact that someone tattooed her when she was drunk.

She's 18. She must know that visible tattoos will limit her job choices. That's her choice.

Floralnomad Sun 28-Apr-13 15:57:03

She probably wasn't drunk ,she's just saying it to her mums friend . If this girl has over 10 tattoos you're hardly likely to get drunk and make the same mistake that many times ! In an ideal world no one would be judged on appearance ,sadly we don't live in one and given the choice between tatooed and piercings girl and non tattooed and piercings girl for one job if both have the same qualifications and experience I think we all know who gets the job. I'm not saying its right ,I'm saying its life .

toffeelolly Sun 28-Apr-13 16:02:54

If over 18 then it is their choice but if drunk when getting it done should not be allowed. She may regret it some day.

AngiBolen Sun 28-Apr-13 16:04:37

YABU. Any slightly drunk person might think it a good idea to get a tattoo.

And I really don't like most tattoos, and would never have one myself. Unless I was drunk.

At 18 you can get a married and a mortgage (well, maybe not a mortgage these days), and have a baby, vote, drive a car etc so saying you can't get a tattoo is just silly.

KentuckyFriedChildren Sun 28-Apr-13 16:06:22

Meh. I have visible tattoos. Some of which were done aged 18. And guess what? It's none of your business. But certainly the tattooist who risked her life by tattooing her while she was drunk should be reported.

By the way, my tattoos (and indeed my husbands which are bigger and more noticeable than mine) have never had any effect on my (or his) ability to get a job. I also have facial piercings. Clearly I shouldn't be allowed outside amongst the general public in case I offend someone <rolls eyes>

StuntGirl Sun 28-Apr-13 16:24:45

1. A reputable artist will not tattoo someone who is drunk. If you know the artist report them to your local council.

2. A reputable artist will also generally not tattoo young people in visible places, or older people with minimal modifications. This one is not enforceable though unfortunately, its just a personal code of good practice any artist worth their salt will follow.

3. At 18 she is an adult and as such has to take the consequences for her decisions. This is one of them.

HollyBerryBush Sun 28-Apr-13 16:26:32

I want to know who tatoo's them the day they turn 16. They come into school with them. >grim<

ExcuseTypos Sun 28-Apr-13 16:34:49

My dd was 18 when she had a tattoo. It is tribute to her best friend who died when she was 17. It's very small and lovely.

The tattoo artist actually encouraged her not to have it in a very obvious place. It's kind of hidden, so I was thankful for that tbh.

You don't know why you people have tattoos. Stop being so judgemental and as someone else said "don't judge a book by its cover".

ExcuseTypos Sun 28-Apr-13 16:35:27

young people

ShowMeTheYoni Sun 28-Apr-13 16:43:16

My dad took me for my first tattoo on my 18th birthday. I had wanted it for two years. And even though it is now naff dated, it always reminds me of my lovely dad. I was nervous, so he (never having had a tattoo) said he would get a tattoo first to show me it was fine, and so he did. And he had me in fits of laughter with his fake screams of pain! We both now have small tattoos and 14 years later we still talk about it. It's one of my best memories. Love my dad I dogrin so YABU

Remotecontrolduck Sun 28-Apr-13 16:44:03

No, YABU. People over 18 HAVE to take responsibility for their own actions, it's no good babying them even more.

I am sure most 18-21 year olds know the implications (rightly or wrongly) having a lot of visible tattoos brings when it comes to certain careers.

ShowMeTheYoni Sun 28-Apr-13 16:49:18

Ps I got into the Met police with VERY visible tattoos. Thankfully they look beyond that. In fact they said it helped some of their officers actually relate better to youth, so was almost a perk. They police don't allow racist or offensive tattoos, it's not an outright ban.

SignoraStronza Sun 28-Apr-13 16:50:36

I'd have no issue with either of my dcs having tattoos in the future. As long as they're decent, well thought out, beautifully executed tattoos. Not shit ones (i.e. names, stars, tribal crap, whatever is fashionable of the moment etc).

I have a crap 'scarab beetle' flash tattoo on one shoulder. My lovely bil (weirdly enough) has an identical one in different place, which he's in the proceds of having lasered. Mine was done at 17 by a man who spent the entire time talking to his missus on the phone. Because I wanted to go one better than my boyfriend (at the time's) dodgy little chinese symbol.

I'm saving up for a bit of lasering, followed by a beautiful back piece. My DH (having got tattooed much later in life) did it properly.

AMumInScotland Sun 28-Apr-13 17:13:02

People over 18 HAVE to take responsibility for their own actions, it's no good babying them even more

^ this

They are 18, they are adults. We treat them like babies then wonder why they can't think through their actions.

If you have an 18-21 yo in your life, talk to them and help them see how to work through this kind of stuff. Then let them live their life.

Rufus43 Sun 28-Apr-13 19:02:11

It does depend on which police force you join as some don't allow visible tattoos. The force my brother is in have just changed their rules.

ajandjjmum Sun 28-Apr-13 19:08:28

DD and I saw a fashion show yesterday - not a professional thing, but out of the 10 or so models, there were only two who didn't have tattoos.

kinkyfuckery Sun 28-Apr-13 19:12:47

Since when was a 20/21 year old a teenager?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now