Advanced search

dp thinks that I am being ridiculous but am I?

(29 Posts)
Snowyelephantshavewrinkles Sun 28-Apr-13 14:26:16

My cheek is swollen and there is a fairly sizable lump on the side of my mouth. I want to go to the doctors just to have it checked out as I can't get in to the dentist for five weeks. DP thinks I am being a hypercondreact but I really am worried about it.

I know that I do react differently than I used to about illness after personal things that have effected my judgement.

Snowyelephantshavewrinkles Sun 28-Apr-13 14:27:36

On this occasion however I feel that I am not being ridiculous and I should go to the doctors.

Alligatorpie Sun 28-Apr-13 14:28:47

I would go get it checked out, if it was him, would he?

Dawndonna Sun 28-Apr-13 14:29:41

If you have a visible lump, in all likelihood there is an infection. Get yourself to a Doctor, asap. You are not being a hypochondriac.

Geordieminx Sun 28-Apr-13 14:30:34

5 weeks to get to a dentist??

Snowyelephantshavewrinkles Sun 28-Apr-13 14:30:40

No he would , he doesn't believe in going to the doctors.

Dawndonna Sun 28-Apr-13 14:31:05

Oh, and quickest route to the heart is via the gums, so really, get treatment fast if it's your teeth.

McNewPants2013 Sun 28-Apr-13 14:31:09

I would go to the doctors

sooperdooper Sun 28-Apr-13 14:31:29

Of course you should go to the doctors, sounds like you've got an infection, how odd for him to think its not a normal thing to do!!

PetiteRaleuse Sun 28-Apr-13 14:32:13

Then he is an idiot. It's probably just a cyst, but which might be infected. Get it checked out. I have real problems with people who don't believe in going to doctors. Because when the shit hits the fan they'll be glad of having doctors there to help them.

GettingObsessive Sun 28-Apr-13 14:33:06

He "doesn't believe", what nonsense. It's not a questionable thing - you can't argue that it doesn't exist or isn't sometimes necessary. I suspect that he'd be getting you to drive him to hospital if he thought he'd broken his leg hmm

sleeton Sun 28-Apr-13 14:35:09

Hi Snowy

"on the side of your mouth" ... where? (e.g. internal, external, corner lip, on gum, at tooth root, etc etc etc) size? colour? is lump in same region as swelling? size/area of swelling? stabbing pain? achy pain? no pain? bleeding? discharge? heat in area? when did the lump appear and how long did it take to come up? when did the swelling appear and how long did it take to come up? any tooth pain, decay, etc in area?

Snowyelephantshavewrinkles Sun 28-Apr-13 14:36:51

Geo tell me about it, the dentists around by me are so booked up so there is a 4 or 5 week wait for an appointment.
Thanks all for not making me feel silly.

Snowyelephantshavewrinkles Sun 28-Apr-13 14:41:16

Sleeton lump is in same region as swelling, pain to touch next to a a tooth that has been filled about three months ago which has fallen out in part a few weeks ago.

Snowyelephantshavewrinkles Sun 28-Apr-13 14:41:58

It is also hot too.

WhereYouLeftIt Sun 28-Apr-13 14:42:51

"he doesn't believe in going to the doctors."
His choice (and a bad one to boot). But it's not his health in question, it's yours, so he should not be trying to make you feel foolish because you rightly want this checked out. YANBU or ridiculous, but he most certainly is.

Hawkmoth Sun 28-Apr-13 14:43:45

You should have an emergency dental service? Here we have ooh and also an access centre in the week.

BanjoPlayingTiger Sun 28-Apr-13 14:44:39

If you are registered with a dentist they should see you within 24 hours if it is an emergency. If you rang us with facial swelling you would be offered an emergency appointment.

PetiteRaleuse Sun 28-Apr-13 14:47:11

Sounds liek your tooth is infected and you need emergency dental treatment. You might have to blag your way past the receptionist but see them tomorrow. Infections can spread and be very dangerous.

Another hmm at your DH

LemonPeculiarJones Sun 28-Apr-13 14:48:19

Of course you should go to the doctors. Your DP is being an idiot.

It's a part of your body that is swollen and painful, and you want it checked out.

Quite where his childish fear of the doctors should come into play is unclear hmm

Trill Sun 28-Apr-13 14:52:42

If you believe that the problem is related to your teeth - call the dentist and tell them that you are in pain and you need an emergency appointment.

If you believe that the problem is related to something that is not your teeth, go to the doctor and tell them about it.

YANBU to want to see an appropriate medical professional.

By the way - hypochondriac.

likeitorlumpit Sun 28-Apr-13 14:53:43

sounds like an abscess. you will be the one suffering if its left not him. dont listen to him just go you know your body.

Snowyelephantshavewrinkles Sun 28-Apr-13 14:57:01

The emergency dentist service operates out of the hospital,the hospital is 35 miles away. My dentist is 30 mins away, ( I do have one closer but the dentist is more of a butcher than a dentist) I will also try phoning the dentist in the morning too.

Snowyelephantshavewrinkles Sun 28-Apr-13 14:58:21

Trill thanks I can't spell for love not money!

IvanaCake Sun 28-Apr-13 15:30:14

If you go to the doctor with an infected tooth all the doctor will do is send you to the dentist.

Call your dentist and tell them you need an emergency appointment.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: