Advanced search

AIBU/PFB about DD's school residential?

(15 Posts)
freddiefrog Fri 26-Apr-13 15:24:02

DD is going on her first school residential to France in June

We had a letter home yesterday reminding us we need to get passports/EIHC cards, etc.

So, while looking into the health card it reminded me that DH has a bank account that offers free family travel insurance, so I asked him to call them and find out whether a) DD would be covered travelling without us and b) would our expenses be covered if, god forbid, anything happened and we needed to get out to her in an emergency.

He thinks I'm being over protective and making an unnecessary fuss.

Now, I admit, I'm not overly keen on my pfb going to France, but I trust her teachers, I know she'll be fine and have an amazing time. I've got a grip, she's going, she'll have a blast and will never know I feel a little anxious about my baby being away from her mummy grin

However, I would be a lot happier knowing that she was insured to kingdom come, and that everything is covered and if there was an emergency we wouldn't have to worry about anything other than getting to her as quickly as possible

And, it's bloody free, why wouldn't we use it?

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 26-Apr-13 15:26:32

I was just ranting talking about travel insurance recently. Anything could happen. Not to make you anxious but say she is admitted to hospital and can't be moved easily. You would want as much travel insurance as possible then, right? Repatriation and all that? DH is BU.

secretscwirrels Fri 26-Apr-13 15:32:22

Not PFB at all. I asked similar questions when DS2 went on a skiing trip recently. (Our family annual policy would have covered him)
The school must have it's own travel insurance and emergency plan for all eventualities. You should be able to have a copy of the policy and the risk assessment.

freddiefrog Fri 26-Apr-13 15:32:28

I do have a terrible habit of catastrophising so I'm trying to keep a lid on it. I tend to look at the what ifs, where DH is more positive about stuff

I know the card covers the basics, although I'm not exactly sure what, but I know it wouldn't cover us making a dash to get to her bedside in an emergency, or anything like that

But you're right anything could happen

freddiefrog Fri 26-Apr-13 15:34:06

Sorry, cross posted. I'll find out what the school insurance covers

But we've got this cover as a benefit on a bank account, it's free, it seems ridiculous not to use it

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 26-Apr-13 15:34:15

I speak as someone who was hospitalised with a tropical disease when travelling. Really, anything could happen.

secretscwirrels Fri 26-Apr-13 15:36:15

The school will want the EHIC card as well as having insurance cover because most insurers insist that you have one.

jacks365 Fri 26-Apr-13 15:37:23

I don't know of any travel insurance that would fly you out to be with her only to repatriate your daughter what it will do is provide additional protection for her belongings which the school wouldn't normally do.

Flappingandflying Fri 26-Apr-13 15:40:44

I did the same when Flyingboy went skiing. The school will have their own insurance so she is covered but as its only a phonecall, methinks its worth phoning the bank anyway. Mine, with diabetes which requires 4 injections a day etc just went to France. I had heebie jeebies at first but by wednesday I calmed down. All was well and he was fine but I was worried if he caught a bug and started vomiting then he might have to be hospitalised (he was last time it happened). Fortunately he hates anyone else wielding a needle at him so he manages himself pretty well.

RedPencils Fri 26-Apr-13 15:41:12

Seems sensible to take out extra insurance, especially if its free. Most insurance policies cover repatriation rather than flying people out if our could find that level of cover if will be £££

freddiefrog Fri 26-Apr-13 15:44:11


He needs to call, the account is in his name and they refused to speak to me, even hypothetically.

viewwitharoom Fri 26-Apr-13 15:46:37

I would be very surprised if the school didn't have full travel insurance for participants on a trip. You should get a copy of the policy from the school. As a veteran organiser of many school trips to other parts of Europe I can tell you that we always had full travel cover and copies of the policy were issued to families. The travel insurance was included when costing the trip. Its worth checking the details in letters you have had about the trip and contacting school if unsure.

Justforlaughs Fri 26-Apr-13 15:50:58

Of course the school will have comprehensive insurance, but as you have free insurance anyway then why wouldn't you use it?

freddiefrog Fri 26-Apr-13 15:54:02

Yes, the school has insurance, I'll find out exactly what it covers on Monday, but we have this benefit, I don't see the point in having it and not using it.

All we need to do is call them and give them the dates, then print the policy out, I just don't know if, as it's a 'family' policy, whether they cover us travelling individually iyswim

All it'll cost us is a phone call

freddiefrog Fri 26-Apr-13 16:27:20

Right, well, I've kicked up a stink and he's phoning them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: