Talk

Advanced search

to think most people don't realise Cameron has put the NHS up for sale already?

(5 Posts)
BadDayAtTheOrifice Thu 25-Apr-13 22:11:31

here
Sorry for the link, its the Mirror but of the few small snippets of news I could find this seemed the best. hmm
Anyway, all the services the NHS provide are now open to bids by any provider.
I could weep.

thenightsky Thu 25-Apr-13 22:18:18

A surprising amount has long gone already. I work in what is left of the NHS and things like substance abuse services, path labs, counselling, physio etc have been contracted out for years now.

When I started in the NHS we had our own staff for everything from gardening to decorating to electricians, plumbers (estate staff) to cleaners.

People don't realise how little is left really. All the private companies are allowed to put that little blue NHS logo on their vans etc, so people don't even realise they are private.

ImpatientOne Thu 25-Apr-13 22:22:33

It started long before Cameron was around it was just lower profile services for want of a better phrase.

Many of us who've been around in the NHS for some time are completely clueless about who is employed in house or by contractors/social enterprises these days. Still mostly the same people but different employers. Without changing job I've now been employed by 4 different trusts in 10 years grin

HollyBerryBush Thu 25-Apr-13 22:32:07

Services should be outsourced if they can be done more cost effectively. Tax payers money should be spent efficiently, and people held accountable.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 26-Apr-13 00:44:43

I'm all in favour of cost efficiency, but some of the cost savings are real penny pinching for the sake of it.

Crappy, thin aprons that are nigh on impossible to open (like those rubbishy plastic bags when you have to lick your fingertips. ) Well you just don't lick your newly washed hands in front of the patient.

Crappy paper towels (cheaper than the previos) but I need 4 to dry my hands instead of one...

Stockinette dressing with no stretch.And it ladders like a pair of tights.

OK minor things but imagine that 100000x over.

And there was a quote about £75 to change a lightbulb confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now