Talk

Advanced search

to call the emergency services

(20 Posts)
Sallyingforth Thu 25-Apr-13 20:36:45

We've just had a lovely roast lamb dinner with a chilled rose wine, cooked to perfection by DH. (He'll get his reward later!).
But just now I NEED a Cream Slice, and the local supermarket has closed.
If I call 999, do you think they can open up Sainsbury's for me?

Freddiemisagreatshag Thu 25-Apr-13 20:38:16

You are joking right?

I must have had a sense of humour by-pass

WorraLiberty Thu 25-Apr-13 20:40:18

I'm more amused at the idea of a reward for cooking dinner grin

Do you have a 24hr Tesco nearby?

Sallyingforth Thu 25-Apr-13 20:43:34

Worra he'd be getting it anyway but don't tell him that.

There's one a mile away but neither of us is able to drive atm. That bottle was actually two.

SolidGoldBrass Thu 25-Apr-13 20:45:43

Better idea would be to call a minicab and ask them to go and get you one.

(A friend of mine once called a minicab because she was on her own in the house apart from a huuuuuuuuuge spider. When the driver turned up she gave him £5 and said, I don't want to go anywhere but can you please deal with the spider?)

Sallyingforth Thu 25-Apr-13 20:48:09

But spiders are beautiful creatures. I love to have them walking on my hand.

Sidge Thu 25-Apr-13 20:48:11

Given that we had a woman call 999 to tell us she was haemorrhaging, and had actually just run out of tampons, I think calling them to fetch you a cream slice is completely reasonable. grin

I wouldn't reward your DH in that special way, he might have cooked a luvverly dinner but he forgot pudding. Fail.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 25-Apr-13 20:49:30

As an NHS worker I frown at your mis-use of the Emergency Services....

But if you phone the Fire Service and tell them its a 999 CIT (Cat In Tree) situation, they might bring you a cake and you'll get Hunky Firemen -
Bonus Win/Win

Obviously tell them to bring aforementioned cream cake to tempt the mythical cat .
Then "Oh I'll just put this lush cake on a plastic plate while you sort your ladders" and clos the door.

grin

Sallyingforth Thu 25-Apr-13 20:51:45

That's true, but I want to reward him anyway. He's looking at the TV but keeps glancing at me and I know he's thinking about it.

Sallyingforth Thu 25-Apr-13 20:55:11

70 That's a good idea but I think it's a bit late now. He's looking bored with the TV and I think it's reward time. Goodnight!

maddening Thu 25-Apr-13 21:54:29

At 4 in the morning in my fevered youth I have called taxis to get things for me and paid them the amount for the item plus their fee but I was drunk at the time.

MammaTJ Thu 25-Apr-13 21:56:43

Me and my friends have been known to ring a emergency number local taxi firm and get them to collect alcohol and bring it to us. They do not overcharge for this service and would cost you less than an unnecessary 999 call. although I realise this is a genuine emergency

Shiraztastic Thu 25-Apr-13 21:57:26

Did you know the fire brigade will come with a fire engine (by appointment) and do a home fire safety check? They bring real fire men too.

Big hit with toddlers. Alas, they didn't bring cake sad

FlightyAphrodite Thu 25-Apr-13 22:00:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FlightyAphrodite Thu 25-Apr-13 22:02:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ParadiseChick Thu 25-Apr-13 22:09:31

In my mis spent yoof we called taxis to bring us booze! We were only 16 but by the point the drivers realised they'd paid for the vodka!

Shiraztastic Thu 25-Apr-13 22:09:45

Oh dear sad

We got the full works, but they weren't keen to let my toddler and his mates who came over specially take a look in the fire engine or try the siren.

BlackeyedSusan Thu 25-Apr-13 22:13:54

you need to live near a firrestation and take the children to watch the new recruits train. while you drool over the instuctor

building sites with diggers are acceptable too. I got to like the look of the foreman at the site near school where I took ds to look at diggers.

maddening Thu 25-Apr-13 22:24:25

I have had taxi drivers jump start my car, buy food, buy ciggies, pick something up from a friend's house and buy booze.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 25-Apr-13 22:26:17

When my DS was 6 we had an extension built so we had a mini digger and mini scoop truck in our garden to dig the foundations.
You can imagine how he was the envy of his friends .

Do the hunky firemen still bring you a deep fat fryer if you have a chip-pan.
(Strokes 4 litre Magimix fryer as I'll not get a chance to stroke hunky firemen ) blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now