Talk

Advanced search

to ask the good cooks here which potatoes to use in beef and potatoes

(18 Posts)
grovel Thu 25-Apr-13 19:55:42

braised in Guinness. They go into the oven (halved - they're supposed to be large) with the beef at 170C (325F) for 60-90 minutes.

Many thanks for the benefit of your knowledge/experience.

fluffyraggies Thu 25-Apr-13 20:02:42

Potatoes seem to be rubbish at the moment so good luck OP!

I'd go for King Edwards, they usually hold their own for roasting or braising.

The potatoes that my Tesco have been trying to sell as baking potatoes this year are like marbles.

SweetSeraphim Thu 25-Apr-13 20:05:12

I like red potatoes, personally. Rooster ones are nice. Potatoes are really expensive these days! <old gimmer>

Finola1step Thu 25-Apr-13 20:11:54

Yep, King Edwards.

YellowTulips Thu 25-Apr-13 20:22:36

Maris Piper or King Edwards

Bunbaker Thu 25-Apr-13 20:25:53

I would use a waxy potato that doesn't disintegrate when cooked.

A bit of trivia - Rachel Allen once explained that it is better to cook Irish potatoes in their skins because they absorb too much water and disintegrate.

MoonlightandRoses Thu 25-Apr-13 20:33:34

Kerr's Pink would be good either if you can get them.

TattyDevine Thu 25-Apr-13 20:35:11

If you are truly not getting any luck with King Edward or Maris Piper etc, you could try a charlotte potato. They hold out longer, they are more waxy. Not tried them in this context. The are the ONLY POTATO to use in a potato salad though...forget your baby news.

grovel Thu 25-Apr-13 20:42:04

Thank you all.

Scholes34 Thu 25-Apr-13 20:43:01

I'm with Bunbaker - a waxy white potato that won't fall if cooked for too long. I tend to use these for meat and potato pie (a Sheffield speciality with Henderson's) and for Bombay Potatoes, ie when you don't want the potato to turn to mash.

Scheherezade Thu 25-Apr-13 22:28:53

fluffy - there's been a complete potato disaster, a lot of large companies are really struggling. One major (number 1?) chip company in the UK is closing down the entire UK factory for 2 months as there's just no potatoes - and Europe has none either. It's the wet weather last year, the farmers just couldn't grow anything.

EffieTheDuck Thu 25-Apr-13 22:30:41

Maris Piper are tasty this year and cook well.

beanandspud Thu 25-Apr-13 22:36:16

Not for a casserole but I bought the Rooster Purple Majesty potatoes at the weekend - they make amazing purple mash!

Charliefarlie1192 Thu 25-Apr-13 23:08:34

Until just now I thought a potato was a potato

MoonlightandRoses Thu 25-Apr-13 23:46:54

Oh no, it's definitely not! grin

ouryve Thu 25-Apr-13 23:50:25

King edwards, Maris Pipers or Roosters. It's not a great time of year, a old potatoes (yes, they used to be called that instead of maincrop) are getting a little too old and need lots cutting out of them, but they're bloody tasty if they've been kept well.

If you can't get anything like that then look for something "good for boiling" and have it on the side, or baked, instead.The potatoes i first mentioned are all starchy, while many other varieties, available at this time of year, are waxy and don't break up ND THICKEN SAUCES AND GRAVIES. (caps lock apologies - too tired to correct!)

ouryve Thu 25-Apr-13 23:52:07

And potatoes are expensive. I remember when they were 9p a pound. they're a quid a kilo, now.

Picturesinthefirelight Thu 25-Apr-13 23:57:57

I find that Wiljas and Estimas are good for most things. I do like Roosters though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now