Talk

Advanced search

not to vote for any of the candidates standing for my ward in the council elections

(14 Posts)
Sunnymeg Thu 25-Apr-13 13:50:11

As none of the candidates live within the ward or either of nearest towns. One of the people standing lives over 30 miles away, what do they know about my village?? Probably not a lot.

I have always voted at every election, my Great Aunt was a suffragette and was imprisoned in Holloway. I was brought up that not to vote was wrong.

ToothGah Thu 25-Apr-13 13:52:01

Tough one.

I'd certainly be writing to each party about their selection process.

I don't agree with elected members representing a ward that they don't live at least close to, if not in.

gordyslovesheep Thu 25-Apr-13 13:52:27

blimey I think you criteria is very strict!

squoosh Thu 25-Apr-13 13:54:13

It's wrong not give a vote any consideration. You've assessed the various candidates and decided that none of them pass muster. You've made an informed decision, completely different to not bothering to vote. The only time I'd vote for a candidate I didn't particularly respect would be if I feared an even worse candidate was about to gain a seat.

Tortington Thu 25-Apr-13 13:55:35

spoil your ballot but please attend, people fought hard and died to give us the rights we have today which are thrown away by so many

Netguru Thu 25-Apr-13 13:58:00

So living within an exact boundary automatically makes someone better?
To the point that you are leaving the decision to others by absenting yourself.
One of them will win - you just ensure you don't have a say.
Bizarre.

Sunnymeg Thu 25-Apr-13 14:02:18

gordyslovesheep none of the candidates lives closer than 15 miles away. I am pretty active in village life and haven't come across any of them in any capacity. We have only had literature from one of the candidates. I had to look up the details of the others online. It's not good enough!

FatherReboolaConundrum Thu 25-Apr-13 14:03:24

spoil your ballot but please attend, people fought hard and died to give us the rights we have today which are thrown away by so many

^ This. If everyone who didn't want to vote for any of the candidates still turned up at the polling station and wrote 'none of the above' on the ballot, maybe the main parties would find it harder to ignore the fact that many people feel alienated from the way modern politics works (bizarre fringe parties don't care, obviously).

CwtchesAndCuddles Thu 25-Apr-13 14:05:28

Well stand yourself then!

The other candidates might not live in your village but at least they are prepared to give up their time to represent you.

WadsCollop Thu 25-Apr-13 14:05:30

It's county or unitary elections, so you would often expect them to live a bit further away. Are you sure you're not getting your county/ district wards confused?

Sunnymeg Thu 25-Apr-13 14:14:18

Should clarify the 15 miles and 30 miles thing is how far they live from our village, which is at one end of the ward's boundary. The candidates live even further away from the majority of people they will represent. Up to 55 miles away from those at the other end of the ward. We are in rural location and ward represents four villages which are pretty spread out.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 25-Apr-13 14:19:30

I third spoiling your ballot. Write what you want on it.

Also, encourage people who are community minded to get involved in the village (or you could stand). Can't really complain if you don't join in.

I do think your stance is a little odd. But then I'm from London so I don't expect my politicians to 'know' me.

Startail Thu 25-Apr-13 14:35:58

I also live in a rural, all independents ward. No one ever sends out any literature, you are supposed to know them. Clearly lots of people don't and turn outs are awful.

Personally I just vote for anyone who isn't the miserable woman who moans that once a year we have a late night parents disco.

JustCallMeHerodina Thu 25-Apr-13 15:06:12

Hmm. Tricky.

My dad ran for council (and got elected) when he didn't live in the ward, and he really, really did care about what happened there and made sure he did know what was going on, so I know it can be quite possible. I think if someone is enthusiastic it doesn't necessarily matter if they live further away. That said it is a very long way away!

Do you disagree with their policies?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now