Talk

Advanced search

To think it serves dds headteacher right.

(6 Posts)
MNBlackpoolandFylde Thu 25-Apr-13 10:53:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MNBlackpoolandFylde Thu 25-Apr-13 10:54:23

DeWe Thu 25-Apr-13 11:47:39

If he joins in then he can go for 4 part harmony. grin

If it was offered on the back of a performance, then surely they're asking for the same choir. So making it audition is not fulfilling what he was asked for.

However I do think there's a place for both. A beautifully trained choir is both lovely to listen to and a great opener for musical children who haven't any other opportunities.
Otoh it is nice for children who wouldn't get into an audition choir to have that oportunity at primary level in particular.
The dc's primary has both. The normal choir which has about 1/4 of the school, boys' choir (over assembly which helps the popularity) both of which are non-audition. And a small audition choir-just need to sing in tune to get in, not a hard style audition.

It also depends on how bad, and how loud the poorer ones are. One of my dc's year (at infant level) was totally tuneless (but loud) all the way through infants. I know that some of the children can sing in tune (a couple of children I know are really quite good on their own) but they're drowned out by the crowd.
It was funny at preschool, cute in year R, but by year 2, it was making people cringe. And these are parents whose children are up there, who are saying that they wish they hadn't wanted them to sing so much. However by year 3 they were beginning to find a tune.

And I can imagine if you had a nice singer in year 5/6 you might feel a little upset if it was drowned out by enthusiastic younger ones.

Startail Thu 25-Apr-13 12:05:56

Oops! Auditioning needs real nerve or a total lack of concern what your peer group think. DD1 has both and can sing, she'd audition. DD2 and her lot wouldn't.

I'm not surprised he has very few volunteers.

treas Thu 25-Apr-13 12:14:43

My dd has a lovely singing voice but no confidence to perform therefore, would not audition. If entire class were doing the performance she would happily do it.

Your dc's HT is a wally

MNBlackpoolandFylde Thu 25-Apr-13 12:56:08

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: