Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to tell DH his breath sometimes smells?

(31 Posts)
ReallyBadBreath Wed 24-Apr-13 19:17:09

As the title says. DH sometimes has bad breath. Eg last night he went out drinking. When he came home from work today I'm not sure he'd brushed his teeth.

It's happened on other occasions too.

However I haven't the guts to tell him - not because he's controlling and scary, but because he doesn't take criticism well and we'll likely argue.

However it smells sometimes. He doesn't brush his teeth thoroughly enough IMO.

So should I tell him? And if so, how?!!!!

ReallyBadBreath Wed 24-Apr-13 19:17:31

Have name changed btw! DH knows my login

HotCrossPun Wed 24-Apr-13 19:20:37

Can you say it in a jokey way? As opposed to a serious sit-down discussion about it.

Maybe next time you notice just say it to him - you won't know how he reacts until you do.

Or what about buying a medicated mouthwash?

trinity0097 Wed 24-Apr-13 19:22:21

I sometimes tell my hubby to get upstairs and brush his teeth, he doesn't like being told, but it's better a short term huff than smelly breath!

ReallyBadBreath Wed 24-Apr-13 19:22:22

If I joke, he'll likely take it the wrong way and it is no joke

We have medicated mouthwash, he just doesn't bloody use it

ReallyBadBreath Wed 24-Apr-13 19:23:18

grin trinity

As soon as I posted the thread, I thought I'm making too big a deal and should just tell him. I hate the idea of him being at work breathing fumes in people's faces.

Sprite21 Wed 24-Apr-13 19:24:30

When DH has bad breath, I tell him and he'll go and brush his teeth straightaway. I think people would rather know.
Say it nicely, but tell him. Surely this is the kind of thing couples should be able to discuss.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Wed 24-Apr-13 19:26:11

What about saying that you're concerned about him because you've noticed an odd smell and you've read that it might be a sign of - I dunno, something. google something! grin and lay in on - you love him, you know you're probably overreacting, but could he please humour you and go to the dentist and rule out something nasty, etc, etc?

Ridiculous way to handle things, but it's an option.

My husband has smelly breath sometimes.

i say good grief, your breath STINKS. Will you please sort it out?! grin and he apologises and goes mad with the toothpaste.

Perhaps your husband has tonsil stones or something? That can cause really offensive breath, I hear.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Wed 24-Apr-13 19:27:12

ridiculous way to have to handle things, that should read (pandering to oversensitivity)

It is better to tell him than to have people covering their faces when they talk to him!

CocacolaMum Wed 24-Apr-13 19:27:35

I would be upset if my OH said my breath stinks HOWEVER I would absolutely rather he told me than someone else! or worse, nobody did!

besides.. its not smelly fanny territory is it lol

ahh tonsil stones. I am sure DH has them sometimes cos his breath is rancid on occaisons but even though I have explained he does not seem to know what I mean... I should get him to google it URGHHHH smile
by the way how the fuck do you spell occaisions?

ReallyBadBreath Wed 24-Apr-13 19:29:54

smelly fanny territory PMSL!

I'll tell him I think it pongs a bit...

SlumberingDormouse Wed 24-Apr-13 19:36:44

I tell DP, 'please go and brush your teeth before you kiss me again/we go upstairs!' grin It works every time. I've told him to go to the dentist before, too. I say it seriously and directly without making a big deal out of it. Sometimes he pouts a bit and says he feels self-conscious, but he'd rather be told than not - as would I.

wheredoistartmrs Wed 24-Apr-13 19:42:14

I say to my husband, have you being eating dog poo again?

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Wed 24-Apr-13 19:44:15

show him this, Step

squoosh Wed 24-Apr-13 19:55:10

Tell him! Too bad if it hurts his feelings, stinky breath is the world's biggest turn off. Does he want to have sex again?

OH my god that is satisfyingly gross. How bad must your breath be to have that done. YUKKKKKKK

sunlightonthegrass Wed 24-Apr-13 20:11:14

My brother has this sometimes. He doesn't brush his teeth anything like the length of time you are supposed to and you can tell.

Unfortunately this is one of the times you do really have to be honest, but choose words carefully. I told my brother "I don't think you're brushing for long enough and so your mouth isn't being refreshed properly," rather than "your breath stinks like dog food, get away from me!" grin

aldiwhore Wed 24-Apr-13 20:16:36

My DH used to say "You need some mouthwash sweety" and though I was embarassed I preferred to know! I had badly growing wisdom teeth at the time (all gone now) and often food got trapped and festered and I was completely unaware of how foul my breath was, especially because I felt like I was constantly brushing my teeth.

DH doesn't have to tell me anymore when my breath smells, and I think all of us have bad breath days (the day after a curry - no amount of brushing works) but if it happens a lot it's not pleasant. My children kindly point out my morning breath, they come into my room (weekends mostly) give me a kiss, and dramatically feign being gassed whilst shouting "DeathBreath ARGH!!" this has led to me getting over any embarrassment or offence.

scarlettsmummy2 Wed 24-Apr-13 20:25:14

I tell me husband off for this regularly.

GeordieCherry Wed 24-Apr-13 20:32:24

"Would you like a chewing gum?" Sometimes adorned with "Pass me the chewy, would you like one?".

It's become code in our house & we just kinda got over ourselves after being a bit self conscious the first few times. I'd rather know than not & he feels the same

Good luck smile

Hassled Wed 24-Apr-13 20:34:55

You must tell him. I hope to god DH would tell me.

Just throw in lots of positives before and after - sandwich the "your breath stinks" with praise about how good he looks in that shirt.

MarmaladeTwatkins Wed 24-Apr-13 20:51:49

"My children kindly point out my morning breath, they come into my room (weekends mostly) give me a kiss, and dramatically feign being gassed whilst shouting "DeathBreath ARGH!!""

Do your children watch Drop Dead Fred, by any chance?! grin

YANBU. Tis one of the reasons for marriage; having a breath wing man to look out for you.

edwardsmum11 Wed 24-Apr-13 20:53:42

I tell my hubby. His is revolting at times and we can't find the reason.

andubelievedthat Wed 24-Apr-13 20:59:43

Its difficult if not impossible to realise /tell if your own breathe is "honking " ,yup ,its difficult to find the way to tell anyone ,inc.(especially) your partner but if you can/will, tell him. might be pissed off re being told initially,but will sure thank you/love you even more ,later.And it isn"t just a "heads up ", this guy doesn"t clean his teeth > it can be a lot of other things causing same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now