Talk

Advanced search

To think my boss shouldnt speak to me like this.

(14 Posts)
pineapplepudding Wed 24-Apr-13 18:00:46

Im a part timer, 16 hours a week.
Yesterday i did 3.5 hours extra and travelled 2 hours each way to do some training, i am flexiable when necessary.

My boss has realised that hes not got enough staff in tomorrow. He calls me up and asks if i can cover from 9 - 7 tomorrow. I say i can, but could do 9:30 till 1:30. Its my day off and i already have plans. My boss told me that that was not good enough and leaves the dept struggling.

AIBU to think that the blame for this should not be laid at my door and my boss was out of order for trying to do that?

rubyslippers Wed 24-Apr-13 18:02:37

of course he's out of line

as you say it's your day off and you have offered to do what you can

pineapplepudding Wed 24-Apr-13 18:06:51

its his fault, hes authorised too many holidays and then sent people on training courses on the same day, which isnt my fault. I feel very annoyed to be told its my fault as i cant work the whole day and what i can do itsnt good enough.

quesadilla Wed 24-Apr-13 18:13:02

It's his fault, he is way out of order. In no way is this your problem. You have to make this point now or he will do stuff like this again.

SwedishEdith Wed 24-Apr-13 18:13:40

Would his boss ask him to come in on a Sunday? please don't say "Yes" It's the same principle. YANBU

pineapplepudding Wed 24-Apr-13 18:15:57

whats worse though is that i said i would do SOME, 4 hours, which is 1/4 of my working week.....
and was told that wasnt good enough.

im actually furious. i was told he would call me back to let me know if he needed me to do it, but ive not heard anything yet and he called to ask at 11am.

gobbin Wed 24-Apr-13 18:20:34

In which case you are now no longer available for any part of the day, should he ring now. You've made plans to do bugger all and chill all day other arrangements.

andubelievedthat Wed 24-Apr-13 18:57:07

this is not your gig ,what"s he doing ?trying to guilt load you? as i have learned to say, in such situations "so, company will go bust if i am not in?"<me ?,bolshie as fuck in such situations, diff . if he had been more reasonable about request .

mrspaddy Wed 24-Apr-13 19:17:50

I think YANBU and totally agree with andubelievedthat.. don't be available tomorrow.. but then I am a chicken and probably wouldn't follow my own advice.

livinginwonderland Wed 24-Apr-13 19:33:32

my old boss did this. i work 20 hours a week but like you, i'm generally pretty flexible with overtime. if i couldn't do overtime, she got in a right strop and took the huff with me for AGES over it. she asked at the VERY last minute - as in, an hour before she wanted me in, or five minutes before the end of my shift, she'd ask me to stay longer.

yanbu - it's awful and they make you feel like shit for saying no sad

noodleone Wed 24-Apr-13 20:07:51

Very politely and calmly say "your lack of planning yesterday does not make it my crisis today"

tethersend Wed 24-Apr-13 20:12:48

What would he/you do if you had another job on the days you're not working for him?

If you want to do more, ask to have a discussion with him about increasing your hours permanently. If not, tell him to bugger off.

ShadowStorm Wed 24-Apr-13 20:14:51

YANBU.

If he's authorised too many holidays, it's his fault that he's short staffed and he shouldn't be blaming anyone other than himself.

LimitedEditionLady Wed 24-Apr-13 20:27:24

Dont let him wind you up.my boss was just the same they do it to manipulate you to guilt you into it.bad people skills.a good manager sees that any help is better than none.dont be afraid to say "look that really offended me the other day.you know i will come in when i can but i just couldnt on this occasion."dont be afraid to speak your mind politely,its mutual respect.it makes me mad when they dont see that you are a person and that you dont just exist to work for them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now