Talk

Advanced search

to know I don't like artichoke

(16 Posts)
CaffeDoppio Wed 24-Apr-13 17:50:12

but be unable to explain why grin. It's a horrible colour, has no definable odour and it just looks like something from the bottom of a pond. I will not even try it.

Anyone else like this with certain foods?

Wishiwasanheiress Wed 24-Apr-13 17:52:01

Not since age 8 no on normal types of foods. Now I try it, then decide.

Sheeps eyes or something and yes not bu.

MrsLettuce Wed 24-Apr-13 17:52:04

YABVU to assert you don't like something you have never tried.

YANBU to not want to try it, free will and all that.

CaffeDoppio Wed 24-Apr-13 17:58:03

I know. I don't know why I asked really grin I know it's U! I wouldn't be pleased with that kind of idiocy from a child of mine.
I'm still not going to try it though!

plantsitter Wed 24-Apr-13 18:04:58

Absolutely the right decision scoffs your share

iklboo Wed 24-Apr-13 18:06:20

I didn't think I would like artichoke till it was on a side salad I got. I thought 'buggrit, I'll have a go' since it was only an addition to my absolutely divine croque Monsieur. It was alright. I wouldn't go a bundle on it, but it wasn't awful.

YouDontWinFriendsWithSalad Wed 24-Apr-13 18:11:13

You're missing out! It's divine. But you know you're already being unreasonable so I can't argue with you.

DIYapprentice Wed 24-Apr-13 18:14:03

Ha, had a friend who didn't like artichoke but loved it when I prepared it. I didn't know he didn't like it or I wouldn't have prepared it, but clearly he had never tried freshly prepared artichoke, and had only had the pre-done stuff.

CocacolaMum Wed 24-Apr-13 18:14:23

sorry in my head is Harry Hill and "CHIPPY CHIIIIIPS"

YABU to assume.. makes an ass etc

Mintyy Wed 24-Apr-13 18:17:18

Yanbu. There are some foods I will never attempt to eat, or even try for a very tentative second time (okra and oysters I am looking at you) because I know I will find them repulsive.

imour Wed 24-Apr-13 18:17:34

yanbu i dont like prawns ive never tried them and never will , they look like grubs .

carabos Wed 24-Apr-13 18:26:32

I think it's ok as an adult to say "You know what, I have no idea what that tastes like but I just don't want to try it". It's not ok to say "I know I won't like it", because you don't.

I went to a v fancy restaurant in Stockholm a couple of years ago as part of group and we had the tasting menu. It was all about woodland tastes and some of it was divine, even when it looked strange. However, one of the tastes was venison tartare with a raw quails egg. I had a taste, it was sensational BUT I couldn't continue and finish it simply because I knew what it was - raw meat and raw egg.

ooh fresh artichoke with lemon and butter. yum

trixymalixy Wed 24-Apr-13 18:34:31

No I'll try everything once. Then I'm happy to pass the next time if i didn't like it. A lot of the things I like, like mussels and artichokes don't look particularly appetising, but are delicious.

YABU

CaffeDoppio Wed 24-Apr-13 18:44:56

That venison tartare sounds divine carabos. Well anyway - I do know IABU but there it is! Oh, and YY to the okra too. I did inadvertently try some once. Never again. Slimy doesn't even begin to cover it.

EverybodysSootyEyed Wed 24-Apr-13 18:54:49

Artichoke leaves dipped in a shallot vinaigrette. Yum

Yab a bit u because it doesn't look that gross!! Not when prepared properly anyway

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now