Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to not accept a refurbished machine?

(10 Posts)
Kerfuffled Wed 24-Apr-13 16:42:26

I've previously posted this in legal but there's not as much traffic over there and I wondered if anyone had come across anything similar. I got a new sewing machine for Christmas from DP. Last week it stopped working. I contacted the manufacturer and the person I spoke to was very helpful and arranged for it to be collected. It arrived back today and it isn't the same machine. It's the same model but says on the back that it has been refurbished. Can they do this? Shouldn't I have had my machine back repaired or if it couldn't be repaired then a brand new one? Had my machine been older then I probably wouldn't have been as bothered but it was only 3 months old and hasn't had a great deal of use. The model I have has been out at least since 2010 so in theory the replacement I have received could be this old. So AIBU to be a bit pissed off with this and tell them I either want my machine back or a new one?

Floralnomad Wed 24-Apr-13 16:44:32

Don't know what the legal position would be but YANBU , I would want my own machine repaired or a new replacement .

knittingirl Wed 24-Apr-13 16:45:49

Yanbu. I'd ring up and ask what's happened, and where your machine is.

Binkyridesagain Wed 24-Apr-13 16:47:22

Yanbu, I believe that a 3 month old machine is still in warranty, so it is either fixed or replaced with a new machine of at least the same standard. A refurbished machine is not a suitable replacement.

TheChaoGoesMu Wed 24-Apr-13 16:47:29

Absolutely not. I'd ring them and complain. Bloody cheek.

DeepRedBetty Wed 24-Apr-13 16:51:05

At the very least they should have contacted you to ask if a refurbished machine was acceptable before sending it to you, I'd have thought. Good customer relations and all that!

What does the Money Saving Expert website have to say?

Kerfuffled Wed 24-Apr-13 22:52:35

The MSE website is a good idea, I'll start a thread on there tomorrow.

CajaDeLaMemoria Wed 24-Apr-13 22:57:54

Have you checked the warranty terms?

As you've claimed under the warranty, rather than using SOGA to return to the store, you are bound by the warranty terms. Typically, they do allow the company to replace your machine with a refurbished model. You could kick up a fuss and they may return your original machine, but it's likely to be unfixed, and you'd then have to argue with the store to get a replacement. I believe that legally you've extinguished your rights with the shop because you went direct to the supplier.

This isn't unusual, so the manufacturer probably didn't think to mention it. It's usually well detailed in the warranty leaflet. You may well find that they cannot return your machine.

If the leaflet doesn't allow for this, post back and I've got some good templates for claiming. I'm guessing you've agreed to this by claiming, though.

aldiwhore Thu 25-Apr-13 00:52:54

It may not be your machine, maybe yours was unmendable. Perhaps the refurbished sticker means it's simply one that's been fixed after sale? It could therefore be in BETTER working order than a new one?

I would certainly follow this up.

I love refurbed things, they often last longer than their brand new cousins, but I would like to choose to have them rather than have them forced on me.

Our washing machine was new, it broke (JUST out of warranty) our local washing machine man part exchanged ours with the same model refurbished and 10 years later it's still going strong. He recommends refurbished goods (but then he would seeing as he refurbished them).

Sorry not much help!

LittleYellowBall Thu 25-Apr-13 01:18:02

aldiwhore why would refurbished be better than new?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now