Talk

Advanced search

to think book/writers groups are the most exclusive clubs there are?

(8 Posts)
lainiekazan Wed 24-Apr-13 14:29:35

Having just been rejected outright from the umpteenth group I've attempted (terribly humbly) to join, I have come to the conclusion that there must be some sort of secret entry code or handshake in order to gain admittance.

They're either "Full." No further discussion encouraged, or "We're a group of friends ."

The rejection is always rather tight-lipped and final, no apology, or invitation to join a waiting list - just dismissal.

Am I doing something wrong? Am I missing a trick? Or are they actually female golf clubs?

NumTumDeDum Wed 24-Apr-13 14:31:53

Start your own?

HormonalHousewife Wed 24-Apr-13 14:32:22

Do you have vey bad body odour ?

Fillyjonk75 Wed 24-Apr-13 14:33:20

How do you find the groups? Are they advertising for new members?

Cakecrumbsinmybra Wed 24-Apr-13 14:36:46

What sort of groups are they? I'm in a book club with a bunch of other mums. I'm always asking people if they want to join us, and generally people say No! There's 9 of us, but we're v slack and I feel like more members would be better. We're not very literary though.

clattypatty Wed 24-Apr-13 14:37:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lainiekazan Wed 24-Apr-13 14:37:24

If I started my own it would only have one member. I don't believe i smell. Some groups are advertised; some groups people just mention that they belong to.

HormonalHousewife Wed 24-Apr-13 14:43:01

I used to belong to a book group which I used to really enjoy. We individually all had the same problem as you and so then decided to start a new one and it worked.

And then I moved house many miles away. I havent wanted to join a book group here because I have discovered there are so many books I do want to read that I didnt have the time to whilst i was in the book club - so for me not being in one is a liberation.

There is a book club here on MN and sometimes if you are lucky you can get a free copy !

ps didnt mean to be snippy with my first post smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now