Talk

Advanced search

To be cross about talc in cubicles at the swimming pool.

(42 Posts)
Callisto Wed 24-Apr-13 10:52:27

I'm ragingly pre-menstrual right now so in actual fact I'm not bothered if I am BU, but I do want to have a bitch about this.

Took DD swimming yesterday and at least four cubicles had so much fecking talc over the floor that they were unusable. Who does this? Why? I haven't used talc in my entire life. It is disgusting, cloying, pore-blocking stinking and revolting and it makes a foul mess some poor pool attendant has to clear up. Why would you coat your child in this vile substance? To what end? Surely you can use a bloody towel like normal people do? Or are you the same type that douses their towels in so much fabric conditioner they not only stink like a whores boudoir but actively repel water?

Grrrrrrr.

ChocsAwayInMyGob Wed 24-Apr-13 10:54:16

I'm with you on this OP. I live a talc free life and don't get why people use this to make wet people drier. It gets everywhere!

quoteunquote Wed 24-Apr-13 11:05:41

small slave children are made to mine talc in Brazil and India, one of the most horrific modern day child slave situations going on,

there was a documentary about it, they are used as sex slaves, as well, westerners are not allowed any where near the indian ones, the indian chap that did risked his life to get the footage was very brave, it's one of the most horrific things I have ever seen,

the talc companies should be very ashamed.

oh just ask the pool staff to clean more often.

SoupDragon Wed 24-Apr-13 11:07:15

Could you tell that it was talc rather than the cornstarch version?

Flobbadobs Wed 24-Apr-13 11:07:33

I thought it was considered dangerous to use talc now or am I making that up?
quote thats shocking, I've never heard of that before.

Smartieaddict Wed 24-Apr-13 11:09:18

At our local swimming pool the kids all have to wear hats in their lessons. People, including me, use talc to stop the hats getting all damp and sticky. Is the world really going to end if you get a small amount of talc on the soles of your feet? YABU!

cjel Wed 24-Apr-13 11:09:36

Wonder if its a generational thing? more old people use it? As for asking staff to clean more often my DS is leisure centre manager and they try teir best but its usually lifeguards that have to clean and although they do it regularly obviously lifeguarding has to be a priority. I wouldn't ask them to clean more often just point out to them that some minging person has left the cubicles filthy!!! YANBU it disgusting.x

specialsubject Wed 24-Apr-13 11:10:57

er....you are in a swimming pool. The hat is going to get damp along with the rest of you.

put the talc on it (if you must, see other comment) at home and then put the hat in a bag. That way the mess is in your house and no-one else has to clear it up.

district12 Wed 24-Apr-13 11:14:05

I never knew that about talc either ,shocked.

FoundAChopinLizt Wed 24-Apr-13 11:17:10

Talcosis, it's a lung condition, the tiny particles can trigger an inflammatory granulomatous or fibrotic lung condition

http://err.ersjournals.com/content/19/116/165.full

But don't panic, you need to cover yourself in it daily and inhale it a lot.

cocoplops Wed 24-Apr-13 11:17:32

Yes I use talc in my dc's swimming hats otherwise can't get the thing on without inevitable yelping. I do do it at home though. Hadn't heard about talc mining though - so what's the alternative, cornstarch? Is that just the stuff you'd use in cooking?

ryanboy Wed 24-Apr-13 11:19:14

Do you mean child slavery or child labour? Where are you getting this information from?

Startail Wed 24-Apr-13 11:20:24

Talc in summer to stop legs chaffing if wearing a dress.
I try very hard not to make a mess in changing rooms.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 24-Apr-13 11:20:32

How is talc "foul" OP? hmm Shit is foul....talc is powder which smells quite nice and stops the problem of sticky swimming caps. You're being unreasonable. It won't hurt you if you step in it and the floors get mopped so it's not hard to clean up either.

I use a cornstarch version from Lush, I am always in a hurry and it really does help me dress more quickly. I don't leave it all over the cubicle though, no excuse for that.

FoundAChopinLizt Wed 24-Apr-13 11:22:40

We had a Rupert the Bear talc tin when I was I child.
I am old compared to most of you. No showers then except at swimming.
It had a rhyme about talc on the back (eidetic memory alert)

Hurrah it's bath time now for fun
Laughs Rupert when the water's run
I'll float my boat, it goes quite fast
And best of all is when at last
I'm warm and dry and mummy knows
I like some TALC between my toes
She smiles and says its nice for you
In winter and in summer too.

Bring back toiletry rhymes!

PeppermintPasty Wed 24-Apr-13 11:23:41

Oh dear, I use talc on my ds' feet, in between his toes after drying them, just to make sure they're ultra dry (bad experiences with fungal infections....). I never get it on the floor though as I am well brought up and considerate.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 24-Apr-13 11:24:11

Chopin!! Look Here it is!!

Scroll down to see the rhyme...I had it too!

Ooopsadaisy Wed 24-Apr-13 11:24:43

Talc is the work of Satan (and elderly laaaadyyyeees).

Sparklingbrook Wed 24-Apr-13 11:27:56

I am a huge fan of Liquid Talc but that won't work for swimming hats will it. grin

I always assumed people were talcing up after swimming when I see talc on the floor. There are much worse things to step in at the swimming pool, but it is annoying when you are drying yourself and get your feet all talcy and it's not your talc. sad

Callisto Wed 24-Apr-13 11:28:32

I don't want to walk in the mess you've left, I find the thought of treading in the talc that has come off your body fairly repulsive and I certainly don't want it anywhere near DD.

DD also has to wear a swimming cap for her lessons but I use a fabric one which doesn't need the use of this vile smelling powder to get it on and off. And why would anyone chuck talc on their childs hair fgs?

FoundAChopinLizt Wed 24-Apr-13 11:29:32

Neo Maxi gringrin

Well we shouldn't have thrown them out...look how much they're worth.

Fabric swimming hats are the way to go, no talc needed then. It is good for drying though.

DangerousBeanz Wed 24-Apr-13 11:31:42

A bit of talk under massive boobs stops my bra rubbing. 34gg pain in the back- I don't need chaffing as well. But I don't get it all over the floor!

Sparklingbrook Wed 24-Apr-13 11:31:59

Fabric hats and liquid talc. Sorted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now