Advanced search

To feel a bit let down?

(11 Posts)
MNBlackpoolandFylde Tue 23-Apr-13 11:24:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MNBlackpoolandFylde Tue 23-Apr-13 11:26:03

blindasabatenburg Tue 23-Apr-13 11:42:29

I think it is important that your daughter does not feel she has to be secretive about her condition and you need to let your Mum know that you will not be keeping it a secret. It is better he hears it from you rather than anyone else.

Can you perhaps meet with your parents and reassure your Dad that he is in no way to blame? In fact you could point out to him that as they are so alike she would benefit greatly from his support? Nobody said there is anything wrong with her, but she will face challenges that others don't and he can be there for in a way nobody else can, as he has faced them too.

AllThatGlistens Tue 23-Apr-13 11:50:29

Your instincts are completely right OP, please don't let her think its something to be ashamed of, it isn't smile

I have DS1 with autism and Tourette's Syndrome and toddler DS currently waiting for assessment.

Different? Yes they are. Challenges to face? Absolutely.

Ashamed? Not a chance in hell smile

You and your family can build your DD's self confidence and give her every opportunity to do well in her life.

This means positive reinforcement from you and hopefully your parents.

I know it can be very hard for members of the extended families to come to terms with a diagnosis but unfortunately, what's right for your DD comes before 'upsetting' anyone else, regardless of their personal circumstances.

Stick to your guns OP flowers

MNBlackpoolandFylde Wed 24-Apr-13 11:54:23

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Wed 24-Apr-13 12:10:30

nonononono. I agree. It is wrong to make her feel like it is some sort of dirty secret. She has asd. If your father doesn't want to look at whether he perhaps also has it, that's up to him, but your mother has no right to ask you to hide anything.

There is nothing wrong with your daughter. She's not stupid. Your dad needs to change his attitude. If that's how he has felt about himself, then a diagnosis is a good thing.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Wed 24-Apr-13 12:11:45

It's probably more about how he feels about himself. You'll likely find out - if he can open up! - that he grew up feeling stupid, feeling like he didn't fit. Possibly he was called stupid, or bullied or teased, and he has all these negative feelings that he's struggling with.

EggsMichelle Wed 24-Apr-13 12:15:06

You need to talk to your dad about high lighting the positives effects it has personality.

MNBlackpoolandFylde Wed 24-Apr-13 12:17:40

firawla Wed 24-Apr-13 12:17:51

You can't stop her from mentioning it. Maybe your mum or you can talk to him and clear things up a bit?

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHopeful Wed 24-Apr-13 12:22:16

I agree with eggs talk to your dad about the many positives it has brought to his life. Maybe reassure him that there is far more support and understanding for your daughter now than he would have experienced at school.

I'm on the Fylde too sorry completely off topic

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now