Talk

Advanced search

To move house again because I have an addiction

(12 Posts)
Charliefarlie1192 Tue 23-Apr-13 10:52:31

I have recently admitted and sought help for a drug addiction. Wibu to move house to another town to help myself with recovery (I.e. cutting ties and removing myself from associations) I have moved my son a lot over the years but I would keep him at the same school (would be moving 2 towns away to be close to my mum and have to go through current town on way to work) I am worried about the potential effect on my son but I don't trust myself enough to even go home at the moment.....

KatyTheCleaningLady Tue 23-Apr-13 10:55:43

I think a change of environment can certainly help, but you have to do more to recover from the addiction and learn new ways to cope with life.

Are you getting any support?

mrsminiverscharlady Tue 23-Apr-13 10:58:27

It sounds like quite a good idea, especially if your mum is supportive and you will be closer to her. If it helps your recovery then this would surely outweigh any negatives to moving house again, from your son's pov. Are you getting professional help/counselling? What do they advise?

maddening Tue 23-Apr-13 12:18:31

Definitely - as long as you continue to work on other aspects of your life/self that led to your addiction.

One friend did this as her partner had relapsed and she was in danger of relapsing herself but the last I heard she was back in the same position (her partner was nothing to do with her initial drug addiction as she had met him (also a reformed addict) later.

So yes you should cut ties and not look back but still work on yourself eg counselling etc

LittleYellowBall Tue 23-Apr-13 12:25:48

I think moving could be a positive thing.

Snorbs Tue 23-Apr-13 12:30:38

It might help a bit but, ultimately, the one constant in your drug issues has not been your location or your acquaintances, it's been you. Wherever you move to you'll still be there.

EarthtoMajorTom Tue 23-Apr-13 14:34:36

Your addictions will move with you.
It's not your environment that needs changing...
Do you go to Narcotics Anonymous?

LimitedEditionLady Tue 23-Apr-13 15:09:21

Yes,if the people you are living around make it easier for you to use.but once you go for that reason dont go back.

StuntGirl Tue 23-Apr-13 17:41:20

I thought this was going to say "an addiction to decorating/renovating" or something sad

I think it depends how much you actually want to quit, how ready you are to make the neccessary changes and how much support you have. I have a close friend who moved towns to get away from her drug addled enablers 'friends' and she still didn't stop. She just wasn't ready to quit despite what she said.

Well done for making the first, hardest step flowers

StuntGirl Tue 23-Apr-13 17:41:36

I thought this was going to say "an addiction to decorating/renovating" or something sad

I think it depends how much you actually want to quit, how ready you are to make the neccessary changes and how much support you have. I have a close friend who moved towns to get away from her drug addled enablers 'friends' and she still didn't stop. She just wasn't ready to quit despite what she said.

Well done for making the first, hardest step flowers

salsarocks Tue 23-Apr-13 17:51:17

How old is your son? How long will his commute to school be?

LimitedEditionLady Tue 23-Apr-13 23:57:54

I completely missed something here charliefarlie1192.
Well done.
Well done for realising you have to deal with your addiction and for actively doing something about it.move house and start afresh and dont look back.oncd youve got to who you want to be again.you wont want to anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now