Talk

Advanced search

To Be a Bit Concerned About a Teachers Attitude This Morning...

(4 Posts)
Rockinhippy Tue 23-Apr-13 10:26:57

Back ground ...

My DD (10) has a health problem that amongst other things, makes her prone to more serious injury from minor accidents (joint Hypermobility Syndrome) this is something that has only really come to light in more recent years, though she has had some health problems since tiny, escalating after a stay in hospital at 5, & more so in the last 2 years, probably due to hormones starting to kick in a bit. The condition also means she doesn't heal so quickly & it then affects her general fitness making her more prone to these accidents, comes with all sorts of other symptoms too, exhausted easily, digestive problems, headaches, anxiety, etc etc.

She is currently on crutches after a twisted ankle a week ago damaged the tendon running under her foot & up her leg, up until physio yesterday she was wearing a moonboot to protect the injury - physio was worried that A&E haven't dealt with the injury as well as they could have, giving her only one crutch etc & she wants to et DD moving the ankle, but without weight bearing so much, do as taken her out of the moon boot & given her 2 crutches.

DD has a school trip today - I expressed concern to physio about DD needing to be on her feet & walking long distances on uneven all day - so physio said to keep the moon boot & take it with her on the school trip, but to see how she got on without it first.

One of DDs teachers is quite old school ma'am in her attitude - I actually like her as I think her way sometimes can work well & I know her to be a good teacher who cares about the DCs progressing with work etc - BUT I can see that she can come across a bit scary at times, DD finds it hard to speak up to her, she says she doesn't listen well if she tries - something I have experienced with her myself at times, so can see DDs point.

On dropping DD at school this morning & going through things she needed to know as regards DDs injury, what physio has said, painkillers etc with this teacher she pipes up...

"you do realise she was happily running around at playtime yesterday & was fine" - I responded with yes of course, she was, she was wearing a moonboot, it protects everything & carried on with my explaining"

But walking away from the school I found myself getting wound up by it, I felt perhaps she was suggesting I was over protecting DD & making a fuss about nothing - DD told me earlier that on the day of the injury she passed the office where DD was sitting waiting for first aider evaluation & told her to "get back to class, she was okay" - first aider thought otherwise rang me to take her to A&E - which in the circumstances of DDs ongoing health problem, is not exactly reassuring.

I feel like perhaps I need to ave a firm chat with her & perhaps follow up with the HT, so as to make sure she actually "gets" that DD has a real medically problem & that just because my DD is a stubborn feisty thing who pushes herself too hard at times to appear normal, partly down to bullying in the past, partly cantered around special treatment over frequent injuries & health problems - missing PE etc, but DD loves PE & hates to miss out -

this teacher has taught DD in the past, before the JHMS has become worse, so I wonder if that could be the problem.

AIBU to read this in this way, - DDs other teacher is great BTW, but I do think they have a bit of a good cop, bad cop thing going on, which seems to work well

TIA

Rockinhippy Tue 23-Apr-13 10:31:07

Bloody iPad fail - excuse typos, centred around, not cantered - hope the rest makes sense blush

littleducks Tue 23-Apr-13 10:34:07

She might have been just letting you know. My nieces school called my bil and sil into school to offer either keeping her in at playtime or asking them to sign a permission slip after getting worried about her climbing over adventure trail with her arm in a cast.

Scholes34 Tue 23-Apr-13 10:51:23

My son beat everyone else in the class in the triple jump when he had a cast on his arm. I'd assumed the "involvement in PE classes" whilst wearing the cast would amount to measuring and scoring.

I'm sorry for the issues your DD is having to deal with, but at the age of 10 she's the one you need to start to be firm with, and hope that the teacher will support you. I have a friend with a son with diabetes. It's extremely difficult to monitor his intake of sweets on a sleepover if he's determined to stuff his face with them. I wouldn't want his mum to have a "firm chat" with me, but I have now adopted the approach of reminding my son's friend that an excessive amount of sweets and a large pool of golden syrup AND Nutella on his pancakes isn't really appropriate and that his blood sugar reading will give him away even if I don't, ie that he needs to take responsiblity himself rather than waiting for an adult to tell him what he can and can't do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now