Talk

Advanced search

AIBU not to want my 13 year old to go to Thorpe Park on his own?

(19 Posts)
besos123 Mon 22-Apr-13 23:49:19

DS has been invited by his school friend (I don't know the family well) who is also 13 to Thorpe Park. Initially accepted kind invitation but then I find out the mum is intending just to drop the boys at the gate and pick them up at the end of the day. I'm worried about them being on their own all day. Am I being unreasonable?

MTSgroupie Tue 23-Apr-13 00:04:29

Yes you are. It's a self contained park. They aren't going to get lost, get abducted , fall foul of some street gang, get on the wrong bus.

What scenario are you anticipating?

AudrinaAdare Tue 23-Apr-13 00:10:34

Logically I should have no problem with 13 yo DD either but she moves about the world these days as if six feet underwater. I'd worry she'd amble onto the path of a 300 mph ride whilst distracted by her hair being not quite right or something equally ludicrous. I'd trust five year old DS more...

Sam100 Tue 23-Apr-13 00:14:10

Yanbu to be worried - I take it this would be his first time at a park alone? I would talk to him about how he would handle various scenarios. What would he do if he lost his friend - make plans for a place to meet. What would he do if other people started picking on them - walk away and go somewhere else. Thorpe park are quite strict about q-jumping - so make sure he knows not to do that - he could get chucked out of the park. Look at the map and get him to plan what rides he would go on.

MTSgroupie Tue 23-Apr-13 00:14:53

As long as your DD avoids accidently ambling over a 10 ft tall fence then she should be safe smile

HSMMaCM Tue 23-Apr-13 00:18:58

My DD went with her friend at age 12 and they were fine. Went in single rider queues to save time. When they went, I was expecting the friend's father to be there, but he decided to drop them and go into the office. They were fine.

exexpat Tue 23-Apr-13 00:36:51

Depends on how sensible the boys are, but I would be fine with it. Thorpe Park rules are that age 12 and up can go in unaccompanied. As long as they have phones, money and basic emergency plans (eg place to meet if they get separated) I would have thought they'd be fine. Unless you have reason to suspect your DS and his friend would be wild and badly behaved without supervision?

janey68 Tue 23-Apr-13 07:46:26

I am assuming at 13 they get themselves to school and back? Are regularly left alone in the house while you're out? Go into town/ to the cinema/ to the park etc alone or with mates? Because really, this is just an extension of all that: in fact in many ways safer than a wander into town because the whole park is set up with safety in mind, high fences and barriers etc. It really is impossible to just wander in front of a ride at a theme park you know. Where, tragically, accidents have occurred at theme parks they are due to either deliberate subversive behaviour (eg climbing over barriers etc) or some malfunction of equipment- which frankly could happen whether the parents are alone or not. Just make sure they have a plan to meet up if they do get separated- and then let them go off and enjoy. They'll have a great time .

Footface Tue 23-Apr-13 08:15:58

Thorpe park a really good place to support your ds independence.
It's very safe, and there is lots of staff there to help. He's have a great time

AudrinaAdare Tue 23-Apr-13 08:34:40

You're right about the fences etc but part of me thinks DD would find a way hmm Actually I let her go to a seafront amusement park at Easter and the worst grief she came to was getting the train in the wrong direction on tge way home. Thorpe would be fine with phones money and plans.

IloveJudgeJudy Tue 23-Apr-13 08:38:30

YABU. He'll be fine at 13. In fact, it will do him good to have to fend for himself for a whole day. I would definitely let him go (have done this with DS's friends for a birthday treat, anyway.

ryanboy Tue 23-Apr-13 09:23:10

I think it is fine and quite normal for parents to do this

Startail Tue 23-Apr-13 09:26:15

Several schools round here let Y7s loose in the nearest theme park. They haven't been abducted by aliens, yet!

sweetfluffybunnies Tue 23-Apr-13 09:32:37

My DC started going to Thorpe Park alone from the age of 13. They have never had any problems, other than DD's mobile phone getting wet on the log flume. Handy tip - put his phone inside a plastic sandwich bag for the day!

waikikamookau Tue 23-Apr-13 09:38:48

a lot of their time will be spent queuing.

bedmonster Tue 23-Apr-13 09:45:23

My Dsis is 14 and I have been dropping her off at Thorpe Park for over a year now to meet up with friends on inset days and during holidays etc. It's pretty commonplace these days I think, at least they are absolutely swarming with teens when I have dropped her off before. Can you think of what specifically is bothering you? It's pretty safe inside.

NotTreadingGrapes Tue 23-Apr-13 09:47:20

He's not going on his own is he?

I take a busload of teenagers aged 13-18 to Drayton Manor which is similar to TP every weekend in summer.

Unless your child is totally irresponsible and can't be trusted not to do something stupid then YABU. If however that is your worry, then you should be looking at ways to help him mature.

titchy Tue 23-Apr-13 10:11:51

Blimey of course yabu! My dc's school takes all the year 7s to TP for a jolly at the end of the year - and they do not go round in groups with a teacher!

Finola1step Tue 23-Apr-13 10:18:34

As long as he is a sensible 13 year old, he'll have a great time. Why not download their map and use it to discuss with him safety issues. Talk through with him things like the lockers, first aid points, agreeing on a meet up point if they get split up.

Yes you will be anxious all day. But it's a really good opportunity to show him that you trust him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now