Talk

Advanced search

WWYD - Make a complaint about this dentist....Any dentists about ?

(6 Posts)
Fanjounchained Mon 22-Apr-13 19:37:05

I have quite a lot going on health wise at the moment. Have had test/scans done to investigate sinusitis and possible trigeminal neuralgia. On top of this I've also had a bit of bother with my teeth from the beginning of the year. When the pain in my face got particularly bad back in Feb I went to the dentist to rule out anything obvious with my teeth. She took an xray of a particular tooth with a very deep filling but said there was no decay or infection and from what she could see it looked likely to by my sinuses.

So went back to the doc and was referred to ENT and then referred for a CT scan....Whilst waiting for this scan I went back to the dentist to ask her to check it definitely wasn't a dental problem and she took another xray. Again she said there was no decay - this was 4 weeks ago. I've had the CT scan and am waiting to see the consultant to get the results but had a nagging doubt about my dentist. So I changed dentists and went for another xray last Friday. She took an xray and also sprayed a freeze spray on my tooth (I felt nothing) and told me that the tooth is dead and she can tell from the xray it's most likely been like that for while. On the xray it looks as though the root of my tooth and sinuses almost overlap and there is a grey cloudy area above the root and she said this could be causing the problem.

I'll definitely need the tooth out (never had luck with root treatment so not going for that) but I am absolutely fucking raging that my previous dentist missed this. Can I complain ? Should I complain ? I'm trying to put aside the fact that I really didn't like her manner which was very off hand - she kind of made me feel I was a fussing over nothing - and concentrate on the fact she missed something as obvious as this...

Opinions please....yours truly Shane McGowan...

MmeThenardier Mon 22-Apr-13 20:17:20

I have a dead tooth. Doesn't cause me any problem. According to my dentist they usually don't.

What I'm wondering is, how sure she is that your problems are caused by the tooth (which I'm sure she's right is dead)? Be a shame to have a tooth out only to discover the pain was from your sinuses all along.

Why don't you get this moved to health? I know theres less traffic but sometimes dentists go on there.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 22-Apr-13 20:25:38

Different species HCP, but as you have had a CT I would wait for the results as x-ray is only 2D whereas CT is 3D so they will be able to tell whether tooth root and sinus truly over lap.

AKissIsNotAContract Mon 22-Apr-13 20:36:20

I'm a dentist, complain if you want but I really wouldn't be doing anything drastic like having a tooth extracted until you've completed the investigations about your sinuses. Sinus pain can really feel like toothache. It would be such a shame to lose a tooth - presumably a premolar, so will be noticeable when you smile, if it turns out to be a sinus problem after all.

Fanjounchained Mon 22-Apr-13 21:09:35

Thanks for the replies. My new dentist wanted to hold off doing anything else until all the other scans/results are back in so she's being very sensible that way.

Mme My new dentist said we couldn't rule out sinus problems too but there was definitely an issue with my tooth. I could be really unlucky and have both.

akiss It's a molar...third from the back on my right hand side. Can a decayed tooth cause an actual sinus infection if left long enough untreated ? I've probably read too much on bloody Google...

MmeThenardier Mon 22-Apr-13 22:11:21

You'll know you have a badly abscessed tooth because if you tap it - with a fork for example - it will hurt like a bastard. BTW I'm not a dentist, feel free to correct me anyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now