Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to this girl at the park?

(24 Posts)
MimmeeBack Mon 22-Apr-13 18:28:28

Stopped by the park (just swings & a slide) with DD (nearly 2) for 5 mins on our way home from nursery as she wanted to go on the slide.
2 older girls, I would guess around 9 or 10 were sitting on the slide - one at the bottom, one half way up, so not sliding, just sitting eating sweets.
DD ran up and I asked if it was ok if she had a turn. They said yes and got up - one sat on a nearby bench.
DD started to climb up the slide and the other girl climbed up RIGHT behind her, literally one step behind her the whole way. DD slid down and came back round for another go. The girl did the same thing again. The third time she did it, DD was visibly agitated by how close she was, so I said "could you give her a bit of room, she's only 2 smile ' very politely.
Girl looked pissed off and stormed off to whisper about me to her friend on the bench hmm
DD had a couple more slides then we left.

I don't quite understand why she was so annoyed with me - I didn't tell her to stop playing on the slide, DD was taking turns, not hogging it, I was not mean to her.

WIBU and missing some commonly known park etiquette?

Not an issue that I will lose sleep over, just curious.

DrHolmes Mon 22-Apr-13 18:34:31

YANBU smile

MrsBucketxx Mon 22-Apr-13 18:37:24

sounds like she was a bit territorial over the slide, and dd in her head was trespassing.

nothing you can do but walk away

yanbu

Chottie Mon 22-Apr-13 18:37:28

No of course, I'd have done the same thing. She needed to be told that behaviour was not acceptable. Let her whisper all she likes, I am sure she is over it now.

sherazade Mon 22-Apr-13 18:39:11

YANBU but don't be upset with the behaviour of 9/10 yr olds.
Some awful behaviour in parks sometimes- this saturday a girl of about 5-7 called my 6 year old a shit and told her to get of the slide. I walked up to her and said firmly ' this slide is for everyone to use, and dont say anything to my dd thank you'. i looked around first to see if I could spot a parent to talk to first but it was very busy.

MimmeeBack Mon 22-Apr-13 18:40:14

I thought so.
Would probably have stayed longer if it wasn't for that, DD loves slides!

MimmeeBack Mon 22-Apr-13 18:42:41

Sherazade - there are a lot of kids like that round here, hence why we don't often go to the park. DD copies everything people say at the moment and I dread to think what she'd come out with. I'm fairly young but some of the things I hear out of such young mouths astound me.

Yika Mon 22-Apr-13 18:48:33

YWNBU and good for you for asserting yourself politely in your DD's interest. Rude girl, should have modicum of consideration by that age.

HeySoulSister Mon 22-Apr-13 18:53:40

I read that as she was maybe concerned for your dd, wanting to 'help' look after her maybe?

AshokanFarewell Mon 22-Apr-13 18:53:52

YANBU, it sounds like you were perfectly polite, the little girl was probably just a bit embarrassed. Could she have been trying to "help" your daughter so she didn't fall down the stairs? When I was around that age I used to help with my toddler cousins at the park which just meant following them around to make sure they didn't fall off things! The parents were happy for me to do it as it saved them having to climb up. Lots of children that age love little babies and toddlers so she may have meant well and just wanted to be involved smile

olivertheoctopus Mon 22-Apr-13 18:55:00

YANBU. Little girls like that annoy me.

HullMum Mon 22-Apr-13 18:56:21

I reckon she was helping too, still I wouldn't worry about the whispers of 9 year olds

phantomnamechanger Mon 22-Apr-13 18:59:38

Another here who thinks she was probably helping/shepherding your little DD to make sure she did not fall - maybe she is used to having to do that with a sibling/cousin? I dont think she was trying to be intimidating or territorial at all.

It doesn't matter how nicely you put it, in HER mind you were still "telling her off".

<wait for the thread from her mum about the cow who was so rude to her impecccably behaved 9yo in the park wink>

HullMum Mon 22-Apr-13 19:02:33

I have two little ones and bigger kids regular "help". It's a worry because it's usually more dangerous with them helping than not, but they mean well. If she we're being territorial she'd have not moved when asked in the first place

honeytea Mon 22-Apr-13 19:04:10

I think it sounds like she was "helping"

HullMum Mon 22-Apr-13 19:06:39

I have two little ones and bigger kids regular "help". It's a worry because it's usually more dangerous with them helping than not, but they mean well. If she we're being territorial she'd have not moved when asked in the first placeplace

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Mon 22-Apr-13 19:07:10

Either territorial or protective, she may have younger siblings at home and be used to shepherding them along.

BeerTricksPotter Mon 22-Apr-13 19:13:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ledkr Mon 22-Apr-13 19:14:27

9/10 yr old girls are stroppy and self entitled and take offence very easily <glances angrily at dd>

montage Mon 22-Apr-13 19:16:56

I think it sounds like she was helping (in her head) too.

MimmeeBack Mon 22-Apr-13 19:20:28

I did wonder if she was trying to help, although she didn't interact with DD at all other than being right behind her.
I don't at all think she was trying to be intimidating, more just didn't think about how close she was.
Hope it didn't come across as bossy blush
Also their whispering didn't bother me, I have thicker skin than that grin just put that in for context (and dramatic flair).

ivykaty44 Mon 22-Apr-13 19:21:37

Is it possible that this girl thought she was being helpful in preventing your dd from falling backwards? Then when you didn't recognise this she was miffed at the fact she was being kind and you told her to back off nicely but ignored the fact she was trying to help

ryanboy Mon 22-Apr-13 19:28:45

She was trying to help your DD and you came over all 'please keep yourself away from my precious little princess'

MimmeeBack Mon 22-Apr-13 19:37:03

Ah well, maybe next time I will bite my tongue unless DD is in danger of being trampled on.
This parenting lark is full of learninv curves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now