Talk

Advanced search

To think that many professional fooballers

(22 Posts)
bankofmum Mon 22-Apr-13 17:37:18

Are so overpaid and worshipped that they think they are above the law? Surely Suarez should be banned for life

HeySoulSister Mon 22-Apr-13 17:38:36

If you comit a crime in your line of work would you expect to be 'banned for life'?

RunsWithScissors Mon 22-Apr-13 17:38:48

YA so NBU. Can't believe there is any question about it. Apparently he has previously bitten a team mate too.

AgentZigzag Mon 22-Apr-13 17:40:09

For an adult to bite another adult at work is revolting.

The fact that he's done it before shows he knows exactly what he's doing.

YouTheCat Mon 22-Apr-13 17:41:50

I think he should receive a lifetime ban.

I also think that any player who tackles badly off the ball, and it results in serious injury for another player, should also be banned for life.

Maybe then they'd stop behaving like children if their livelihood might be taken away because, let's face it, most of them wouldn't have the brains to be able to do any other job.

TigOldBitties Mon 22-Apr-13 17:42:18

You're confusing two things, the law and the FA.

The law can't ban him from football for life they can only punish him within legal constraints.

The FA could ban him, although I can't see that being a reasonable action.

bankofmum Mon 22-Apr-13 17:45:42

Yes I would depending on the crime. If a doctor e.g. acted unprofessionally they could be struck off. If you bit someone at work that would be assault

HeySoulSister Mon 22-Apr-13 17:45:49

But the FA can only ban in this country can't they?

MrsMcEnroe Mon 22-Apr-13 17:46:46

If you comit a crime in your line of work would you expect to be 'banned for life'?

Yes. If, for example, I am a taxi driver and I drive my taxi while drunk, I should definitely be banned from driving a taxi ever again. If I am a teacher and I assault a pupil, I should be banned from teaching children for life. etc.

OP: YANBU.

TigOldBitties Mon 22-Apr-13 17:51:01

HeySoulSister, I think internationally it would be FIFA then, but as it happened with UK teams I just went with the FA.

Regardless of what specific body it is, they have more power in terms of banning than the 'law'.

Mannequinkate Mon 22-Apr-13 17:51:58

YABU the vast majority of professional footballers earn nowhere near a fortune. They are average men that often go into trades once their careers end. They play because they love it.

A handful of tossers does not make a profession.

Cantbelieveitsnotbutter Mon 22-Apr-13 17:52:35

What I'm worried about is when the bitee because the biter, isn't that the way it often works at nurseries/ soft play?! I mean, where was his mother?
Naughty step / time out and a closer eye from his mother is needed.

Oh hang on, we are talking about grown men not toddlers

CerealMom Mon 22-Apr-13 17:57:00

So why can't he be charged with assault. Surely an easy one for the cps?

TSO Mon 22-Apr-13 18:02:28

Luis Suarez can be charged with assault. At the moment there appears to be no plans to do so and Branislav Ivanovic is not pressing charges. The club have fined Suarez a paltry 2 matches worth of wages which he, not the victim, has decided will go to charity - one which benefits only fans of his own club and their families.

The FA are charging him with violent conduct which, in the immediate and not withstanding any other charges, will result in a 3 match ban if he's found guilty. It might be interesting to note here that a recent FA charge saw a player banned for four matches for verbal, racist abuse which involved no physical violence.

VonHerrBurton Mon 22-Apr-13 18:05:42

What a fabulous role model he is for a huge proportion of his fans (children/young adults) :-(

To hear idiots trying to justify his behaviour this morning on tv made me want to vomit. "hes a magical, misunderstood player, maybe a bit of anger management, they can't turn their backs on him" etc etc.

Bleurgh. Vomit worthy. He will get a ban for a few games and a fine. He BIT another man in ANGER. He should be sacked but he won't be.

TSO Mon 22-Apr-13 18:10:18

Actually, I've just read that the FA have stated that the customary 3 match ban will be insufficient so at least that's a start. It's not enough, but it's better than nothing. Going on last year's 12 match (plus 1 for dissent about it) ban which Joey Barton was awarded for trying to kick, headbutt and punch half of Man City it would be reasonable to assume that Suarez will leave the hearing with at least a 7 or 8 match ban himself.

andubelievedthat Mon 22-Apr-13 18:14:36

Well ,if 40,000 to 70,000 people turn out each week to watch you do whatever work you do , i doubt if anyone could afford to sack you.

AgentZigzag Mon 22-Apr-13 18:14:58

'Magical, misunderstood'?? hmm

I don't mind a bit of argy bargy in rugby, but biting is just such an animal thing to do (unless it's small children).

Hope the other bloke's had his rabies jab.

CerealMom Mon 22-Apr-13 22:59:23

TSO so does Bran Ivan have to ask for charges to be brought via cps or as there is footage (and I presume) a physical mark - cannot police/cps charge?

Why are police/cps reluctant to follow up on physical/verbal racial offences if they've been 'done on the pitch'. Wouldn't this sort out some of the problems rather than rely on fa/FIFA slaps on wrist?

TSO Mon 22-Apr-13 23:09:50

Theoretically anyone can report the assault - look at the John Terry racism case, that was reported not by a player or the ref but by a spectator at the ground.

Personally I hope that someone does.

IRCL Tue 23-Apr-13 00:06:12

YANBU OP. I was watching in disbelief.

It is simply not on. What shocked me is that the commentators said it is not the first time he has bitten an opponent. WTF?

He has also been banned for racially abusing patrice evra.

I do not think this man should remain in football nor is he someone for our children to idolise.

Sadly i don't think anything significant will be done.

VonHerrBurton Tue 23-Apr-13 20:39:06

The bitee has chosen not to press charges. All boys together springs to mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now