Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think if you don't have FB or Twitter you're going to regret it?

(95 Posts)
Tee2072 Mon 22-Apr-13 17:34:52

Because you're kids are sure the hell going to have it and you can't protect them if you don't understand it.

So stop being proud of your lack of knowledge and learn!

A thread about many many many many threads.

VacantExpression Mon 22-Apr-13 17:36:45

YANBU...

and I've just come up with the reason i need to spend all bloody day some time on both of the forementioned sites. thank you!

D0oinMeCleanin Mon 22-Apr-13 17:37:24

I don't have Twitter, but I understand it. I just don't see the point in it. If either of my children want Twitter, then it will only be allowed if I have their password and like dd1's FB I will log in daily to monitor what they are doing, until they are of an age where they can be trusted.

WireCatWhore Mon 22-Apr-13 17:38:20

My daughter has fb & twitter.

I don't actually police her on it, but I can see her occasional tweets.

I look at her fb page from time to time as well.

It's all about 1 Direction & house of Anubis.

She is very good though. She won't even accept friend requests from random children at her school as she doesn't know them & doesn't want to have 100's of people she doesn't really know on her fb.

bunchamunchycrunchycarrots Mon 22-Apr-13 17:38:33

YABU

I understand them both pretty well, I just don't need either in my life. Don't have to worry about DD for a few years anyway but I have no need for either FB or twitter thanks. smile

catgirl1976 Mon 22-Apr-13 17:38:49

We live in a digital age now YANBU

mind you, someone in my family is proud they have never sent or recieved an email. Luddites.

FB an Twitter are not going anywhere and will be an integral partof life

MoodyDidIt Mon 22-Apr-13 17:38:57

yanbu i dread when my dc are old enough to be on it

dread it

Tee2072 Mon 22-Apr-13 17:40:00

Either they will still be around or whatever comes next will build from them.

Either way you're a fool if you don't use them and understand them. And keep using them as they keep changing.

TigOldBitties Mon 22-Apr-13 17:40:13

YABU I use twitter and facebook for work.

I refuse to use them personally.

YWNBU to say that having no working knowledge of either two is not a good idea in regards to your DC.

exoticfruits Mon 22-Apr-13 17:40:23

I think you can understand it without using it. I find Twitter boring- I have never seen anything on there that is remotely interesting.

tigerlilygrr Mon 22-Apr-13 17:41:11

Yep AIBU. I am sure Facebook and twitter will be around in ten years time but the 'in thing' will be something totally different by then. So I'll worry about that then and keep my personal data to myself in the meantime.

D0oinMeCleanin Mon 22-Apr-13 17:41:19

Dd1's is all about "Share if you think this cute/cool" followed by pictures of kittens/girls with pink or purple hair.

She's normally well behaved on there, but she has been in trouble for friend requesting people without asking. People we knew and would have said yes to, but she was still banned for a week for breaking the rules.

HopeForTheBest Mon 22-Apr-13 17:41:53

YADNBU

HopeForTheBest Mon 22-Apr-13 17:43:28

Thank you tigerlily for exactly proving tee"s point!

GashlycrumbZillah Mon 22-Apr-13 17:44:22

DS and his mates who are 12 are pretty indifferent to FB - in a year or twos time it will be different - but by then it might also be something else - the next FB if you see what i mean.

Twitter and FB are the here and now but will be beta max eventually.

tigerlilygrr Mon 22-Apr-13 17:44:24

Not aibu, YABU I mean!

catgirl1976 Mon 22-Apr-13 17:44:27

Social media is more than just the 'in thing'

Its not a craze or a fad, it is the new direction of our culture and communication

MmeLindor Mon 22-Apr-13 17:44:58

YANBU

I don't think that people have to USE it, but they should know a bit about it, and know how to protect themselves and their kids online.

It is a bit old fashioned, really. Like people who are proud that they don't have a mobile phone..

tigerlilygrr Mon 22-Apr-13 17:45:00

grin

tigerlilygrr Mon 22-Apr-13 17:45:22

Oh social media I agree. Just not Facebook or twitter.

MmeLindor Mon 22-Apr-13 17:45:30

Blimey. In the time that it took me to answer a phone call a gazillion replies popped up.

Rosesforrosie Mon 22-Apr-13 17:45:33

Yanbu, and for proof of that you only have to look at my grandparents generation (men and women in their 80s/90s), many of them are SO bloody frustrated that they cannot access the world like everyone else.

(Online bills, shopping, photo sharing, Skype, email, online shopping etc...)

Opt out of being a part of technological progress at your peril IMO.

That said, no need to cover FB and twitter with personal info if you don't want too!

persimmon Mon 22-Apr-13 17:46:00

I think they're both pretty naff TBH, Twitter in particular, but when DS is of an age to want them, I will monitor his activities.

tigerlilygrr Mon 22-Apr-13 17:46:18

I work in digital btw, I'm not a Luddite, I just think that two businesses that have failed to make much money out of mobile are unlikely to be as popular in the future as they are now.

lljkk Mon 22-Apr-13 17:46:58

Bit harsh OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now