Talk

Advanced search

to have complained about an advert?

(22 Posts)
Noseynoonoo Mon 22-Apr-13 16:53:34

My children watch a limited amount of television and seem to be enjoying CITV the most at the moment but every advert break at the moment seems to have a very long No No Hair Removal advert in it. I feel that the advert is telling my daughter that when she grows facial hair, this will be a 'No No' and she will have to remove it, as will her brother when he grows hair on his torso.

I have just complained on the Advertising Standards Website

So AIBU. If you think IANBU would you consider complaining too?

everlong Mon 22-Apr-13 16:58:32

Erm why would you want your dd to have facial hair?

YoniLovesChachi Mon 22-Apr-13 17:01:07

I see your point, but I don't think it's worth complaining about. It's no worse than a hair dye, slimming aid or makeup advert really.

Choose a channel with no adverts.

TimothyClaypoleLover Mon 22-Apr-13 17:05:41

Erm, does OP not mean that the advert is implying her DD will grow facial hair? I have seen the advert in question and it does seem to treat female facial hair as the norm which might be confusing to a young girl.

I do think its strange to have the advert on childrens TV time (presume its ITV rather than the CITV channel which IME only seems to advdertise toys and Disney) but as has been said choose a channel with no adverts if you are that bothered.

Buzzardbird Mon 22-Apr-13 17:06:44

I am more upset by the abused animal ads that really upset DD that they seem to think are fair game to put on children's TV sad

saulaboutme Mon 22-Apr-13 17:07:05

Tis that among many inappropriate ads they show on kids TV. I hate ads fullstop!!

Yes very negative and wrong time slot, wrong channel etc but they are greedy for money. Yanbu but it constantly happens sneaky, inappropriate ads.
One point to the sexualisation of our kids mafia.

ElleMcFearsome Mon 22-Apr-13 17:09:45

The only ad I ever reported was for a well known face cream brand, who's advertising (tv and magazine) stated it could 'repair DNA'. Uh-huh... I got a response a few weeks later saying that many people has complained and the ad has been withdrawn. I was very pleased.

I bloody hate ads. One of the reasons why I don't watch tv 'live'.

everlong Mon 22-Apr-13 17:10:17

Op says ' I feel that the advert is telling my daughter that when she grows facial hair, this will be a No No and she will have to remove it '

How many want facial hair confused

Noseynoonoo Mon 22-Apr-13 17:13:53

Everlong - I don't want her to have facial hair but she will have it and I don't want her to feel bad because of it.

Timothy - Not all parents will make a point of choosing non-commercial television but this doesn't mean their children need to be told how to be attractive.

Buzzard - I know the animal adverts you mean too. Not nice for children to see.

Practically, the children are turning off the TV during the ad breaks now (not that they watch loads of TV).

Noseynoonoo Mon 22-Apr-13 17:16:01

Everlong - I don't expect my daughter to want facial hair - but I also don't want her to obsess about it. However, if everyone else in her cohort has seen the advert they'll be telling her it's a No No.

everlong Mon 22-Apr-13 17:17:28

But her feeling bad is beyond your control surely? Other children/people commenting etc isn't good for her self esteem.

Why are you so sure she will have it?

usualsuspect Mon 22-Apr-13 17:20:39

Well it's not a good look is it?

everlong Mon 22-Apr-13 17:23:50

But it is a no no. What young girl/teenager/woman would feel good about their facial hair?

I don't know any woman that just goes with the flow.

I don't get your point tbh.

Noseynoonoo Mon 22-Apr-13 17:25:00

I am sure she will have because most women do have some, and I definitely do.

Other people wouldn't comment on it if they were not influenced to think it was a bad thing. It is natural after all. No one says to me "Oh, you have hair on your head" because it is natural and to be expected. Hair on say the upper lip is natural and to be expected.

Perhaps you have never had a facial hair or perhaps you think it is right for women to achieve an unrealistic ideal.

Noseynoonoo Mon 22-Apr-13 17:26:21

The ASA said they have had a large number of complaints so whilst IMBU, I am not alone.

twinklesparkles Mon 22-Apr-13 17:27:13

I'm not sure I wouldve complained about it, but the no no advert is bloody annoying...

They must be paying a hell of a lot to get advertising, it seems to be on a lot of channels repeated constantly.

YoniLovesChachi Mon 22-Apr-13 17:28:52

I don't think trimming your 'tache is an unrealistic ideal.

Lots of men remove their facial hair because they prefer the look and feel that way. Would you object to a Gillette advert in the same way you've objected to this one for women's facial hair removal?

everlong Mon 22-Apr-13 17:31:29

Unrealistic ideal. I don't think so.
Of the women I know with facial hair they all remove it. None of them are happy to leave it just because they should be able too.

I don't have it but if I did would remove it because I wouldn't want it.

Mrsdavidcaruso Mon 22-Apr-13 17:41:26

If you can why dont you record the programmes and fast forward through the ads - I do this all the time go OR put the programme on pause ( HAVE SKY) go and make a cuppa then fast forward through ads - don't think I have actually seen a proper ad for yonks

valiumredhead Mon 22-Apr-13 18:10:21

You should complain because the adverts are a load os bollox and it doesn't work - the reviews are shocking.

thebody Mon 22-Apr-13 18:21:20

Well facial hair for a woman is a no no isn't it? I don't like beards or tashes in men personally so can't see the harm.

My dds are young teens and shaved their legs when they felt they wanted to, probably at around 10.

If they developed facial hair or if I did it would be off quick smart.

What's the big deal?

SinisterBuggyMonth Mon 22-Apr-13 18:28:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now