Talk

Advanced search

to sometimes wish that we had weight centile charts for adults?

(7 Posts)
HerrenaHandbasket Mon 22-Apr-13 13:27:03

Not because I'm nosy interested in other people's weight, but because of a conversation I had at the Children's Centre this morning.

The other mum was saying that her DTs are a bit small and that it's an ongoing worry. I pointed out that sometimes it's worth comparing the kids to their parents - if a parent is big-built then they might not be so concerned about having a heavy baby, and vice versa (this mum is quite slim and tall btw, as are her DTs). She didn't look convinced grin but I thought I had a point!

What do the rest of you think?

Obviously it wouldn't be so easy to get a reliable for adults, as our weight does tend to fluctuate rather a lot more mine certainly does, 3 stone on and off in two years but I think in an ideal world it'd be handy.

Suppose it is a bit Orwellian though, expecting monthly weigh-ins confused

HerrenaHandbasket Mon 22-Apr-13 13:27:51

A reliable RESULT, dammit.

HobKnob Mon 22-Apr-13 13:29:21

Isn't that a BMI chart though?

lovelilies Mon 22-Apr-13 13:29:28

A BMI chart is kind of the same... healthy range according to height etc..

forgottoremember Mon 22-Apr-13 13:34:08

I think a rough way of doing this is to look at the red book charts for your child when they are 18. If they stick on their 'line' then does their height/weight look like the kind of thing you can imagine being a cross between you and your partner?

When DS1 had a terrifyingly enormous, and terrifyingly fast growing head (well, to the health professionals anyway - I was unaware there could be anything wrong), we were sent to a senior hospital paed, who, after examining DS (vast head, but fine baby) measured first my head and then got me to measure hers. Her logic was: no head size charts for adults handy - she knew she had a big head, and if mine was about the same size as hers then DS's big head made sense.

There's also a calculation in the red book of 'expected height' for your child -somewhere at the back. you put in mother and father's height and multiply or subtract something and out pops an answer.

HerrenaHandbasket Mon 22-Apr-13 13:36:36

I suppose so. I have a slight distrust of BMI charts though, as I'm currently a size 16 (after months of dieting), I look/feel great grin and know from experience that it would take a great deal of work and effort to get any smaller than this and stay there. Yet according to the BMI chart I am still obese (30.5) confused

manicinsomniac Mon 22-Apr-13 13:36:39

www.halls.md/body-mass-index/bmi.htm

This one gives you your percentile compared to other women your age and height.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now