Talk

Advanced search

To want some lunch?

(44 Posts)
ImTooHecsyForYourParty Mon 22-Apr-13 12:48:08

Seriously.

I am wondering if there is something wrong with me, from my boss/husband's reaction. (same person. My husband is also my boss, sort of. When I do work for his company on an adhoc basis. Which is where I am now)

My breakfast this morning was 3 cups of coffee and an apple. It is after 12:30, I have a meeting in an hour and I am hungry!

He needed to nip out so I said would you get me some lunch please. He gave me a funny smile and said ok. Like there was something wrong with me wanting lunch on account of the fact I have had a bloody red delicious this morning!

He then said "you know me, I don't need to eat"

I just feel, actually feel, like perhaps I am greedy or unreasonable for wanting lunch, since I have already eaten an apple today. Like I shouldn't need to eat again yet.

Part of me thinks he is ridiculous and just because he eats once a day (but his meals would, honestly, feed a family of 6! He can eat an entire joint by himself!) doesn't mean there's anything wrong with me wanting to eat twice or 3 times a day.

But there's another part of me that thinks am I greedy? Is that how it seems if you have an apple and then want some lunch when you know you will be having dinner in the evening.

I can't believe that I actually have to in all seriousness ask this, but I genuinely feel really judged.

ChaoticTranquility Mon 22-Apr-13 12:54:44

YANBU He is weird.

Chocoflump Mon 22-Apr-13 12:56:56

Of course you can't just east an apple until dinner time! Your husband is taking advantage of u- it's actually illegal not to give staff a lunch break

ParsleyTheLioness Mon 22-Apr-13 13:30:58

Hec. You need lunch woman. Put your foot down with a firm hand.

InkleWinkle Mon 22-Apr-13 13:37:47

Did he get you something?
Is he perhaps being a bit of a prat & thinking 'big boss man doesn't get lunch for little woman employee' ?smile

yaimee Mon 22-Apr-13 13:39:38

get his absolute favorite and eat it in front of him!

WhereYouLeftIt Mon 22-Apr-13 13:40:11

Is he all Gordon Gecko 'Lunch is for wimps.' ? (Not that it is, lunch is for normal people!)

CiderwithBuda Mon 22-Apr-13 13:41:13

I think people who can go all day without food just don't get that some of us can't. We used to have this issue on holiday. DH can eat a huge breakfast and then not eat till dinner. I can't. I get shaky, my tummy hurts and I get irrational and angry. He has gotten better now especially since DS came along.

Shodan Mon 22-Apr-13 13:50:05

Blimey. I eat every three hours or so. Granted, not ginormous whole-joint-in-one-go meals, but something. An apple would be a little snacky.

Eating every two or three hours keeps your blood sugars all nice and level, thus keeping your moods calm and Zen-like, thus stopping you from killing people who smirk at your eating habits.

There's some science about it somewhere on the interweb, I believe.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Mon 22-Apr-13 13:52:58

grin I was about to say Gordon Gekko too!

motherinferior Mon 22-Apr-13 13:53:23

I am in awe of anyone who can function without breakfast of any substance, let alone without lunch. Personally.

I eat breakfast and then lunch and then supper and sometimes - gasp - a snack in between and agree with Shodan (I may actually have written whatever it was she read blush) though in my case it is more 'keeps me from being overly psychotic' rather than 'calm and Zen-like'.

Obviously now this thread will be filled with people who make me and you feel like vile porkers for valuing the occasional calorie.

motherinferior Mon 22-Apr-13 13:54:10

Actually everyone in the Inferiority Complex is awful without food.

fieldfare Mon 22-Apr-13 13:55:33

I have to eat often too, or else I get narky and snappy and just a bit unpleasant to be with. Dh recognises the signs now!

StuntGirl Mon 22-Apr-13 13:56:37

He's being a tool. Even if he doesn't eat all day, he must surely have enough awareness to know that other people do.

Shodan Mon 22-Apr-13 13:57:33

Oooh, motherinferior- really? I'm impressed. (And I'm being serious there). I admire people who know about science stuff.

You're quite right though- Zen-like may be something of an over-statement. But the bit about not killing smirkers still stands.

butterflyexperience Mon 22-Apr-13 13:58:58

Yanbu
He is

Is he very controlling?

jacks365 Mon 22-Apr-13 13:59:38

3 cups of coffee and an apple? I'd have collapsed on that. You are far from greedy and he is very unreasonable. Refuse to make his dinner in protest

trikken Mon 22-Apr-13 14:00:15

Eating three meals is normal. I feel like shit if I dont eat properly. Definitely yanbu for wanting lunch!

motherinferior Mon 22-Apr-13 14:05:30

Oh, I'm not a food expert or anything just a journalist who writes about food and health from time to time!

I get v arsey irate with people who treat other people as lesser oafish types for getting hungry like my mother.

Inertia Mon 22-Apr-13 14:05:51

I'd struggle to leave the house after just an apple, never mind make it all the way through to lunchtime. The apple would be the snack to tide me over between breakfast and lunch.

And next time he does eat, feel free to point out that he's got a lot of his plate for someone that doesn't need to eat.

Hope you've had some lunch now.

Imnotaslimjim Mon 22-Apr-13 14:08:01

YANBU at all! If I don't eat often I faint and get very cross over silly stuff. An apple certainly wouldn't have been enough! Hope he sorted you something

Beksybob Mon 22-Apr-13 14:10:54

I must admit...I tend to have a cup of tea for breakfast and a banana for lunch. It's not because I'm not hungry, it's because I'm really lazy. My laziness is stronger than my hunger, if you will.

DoYonisHangLow Mon 22-Apr-13 14:13:38

I'm a bit like your OH. If I really listen to my body's hunger signs I don't feel like eating anything till mid afternoon, then ill have a small snack eg some nuts or a banana then, a normal sized dinner around 6-6pm, and then another snack and smoothie or coffee with cream or something in the evening. Obviously that's impractical at times eg if you're invited out to lunch on which case I override those signals but generally that's me listening to my own hunger signs which makes it the me healthy way for me to eat.

Operative word here being me obviously! I'd never expect anyone else to eat that way! Everyone's body is different surely, I bet you couldn't physically eat the amount of food he does in one evening, but the amount is probably calorifically similar, just spread out confused

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Mon 22-Apr-13 15:54:33

i'm better now I've eaten. blush i am a bit of a mardy, stroppy cow when hungry.

Longdistance Mon 22-Apr-13 16:03:35

How can you survive on just an apple for breakfast?
I do think he should be eating 3 meals a day, its not a hunger thing, its about keeping your blood sugars up.
I have to say, I get mardy if I don't eat or sleep and dh often does the 'ive had a big breakfast so I won't eat til dinner' fair enough, but then expects everyone else to follow his stupid eating habits hmm
I must say, dh did this once with dd1. He'd eaten his big breakfast in the morning, I was out, he still hadn't fed her her lunch as HE wasn't hungry confused
Needless to say, he hasn't done that since I wiped the floor with the fool.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now