Talk

Advanced search

To be sad that widespread use of text means there are no excuses to ring for a chat?

(18 Posts)
Restorer Sun 21-Apr-13 22:09:00

Things i would once have phoned about, which would have resulted in a short friendly chat, but that are now dealt with by text:

To Sil - is there anything dn would like for birthday?
To school mum- , is Ds going to party, shall we share lifts?
To old colleagues - are you free to meet for coffee next week?
To old friend from toddler group who's just had another baby- can you use any of our baby stuff?

You get the idea. Do you ever chat on the phone with anyone but your closest friends?

HellonHeels Mon 22-Apr-13 01:14:50

I kind of get where you're coming from with this but think actually YAB a little U because there's nothing to stop you making phone calls instead of texting for any of the things you list.

I hate talking on the phone, so the rise of texting is great for me. I never chat on the phone to friends but my mum usually calls me for an hour-long chat every weekend. She and her pals all talk endlessly on the phone so phone chatting is not dying out everywhere grin

MammaTJ Mon 22-Apr-13 01:23:24

No, my closest friends do get an ear bending regularly though!! grin

MagratOfStolat Mon 22-Apr-13 01:28:54

I always text. Nearly everyone I know has been informed that I despise the informality of it. If they aren't free to talk, I'll leave a message and they'll get back to me or send a text saying "busy now, will ring later". I'm always up for a natter!

And before anyone tells me, I know I'm a pearl-clutching 50-year-old in a 24-year-old body, but I don't care! grin

ripsishere Mon 22-Apr-13 04:52:53

I loathe texts, but seldom phone people for a chat. I do Skype my parents weekly (or more), but apart from that, it's texts all the way.
Not sure whether you are BU or not.

EmmaBemma Mon 22-Apr-13 05:42:14

I hate talking on the phone so texts are a godsend for me. Brief and to the point!

Numberlock Mon 22-Apr-13 05:47:28

Why not ring them instead of text, if it's something you feel is important?

Although, if I were one of the people on your list I wouldn't thank you for it, hate chatting on the phone.

livinginwonderland Mon 22-Apr-13 07:56:06

i just don't see the point in ringing for a few minutes if it's something that can be solved by text. when someone phones, it's like "talk to me now!" until you answer the phone. a text can be replied to on an as and when basis, and it feels less intrusive to me.

McNewPants2013 Mon 22-Apr-13 07:59:26

Texting makes my life a whole lot easier, I have a stammer which is worse on the phone.

HellonHeels Mon 22-Apr-13 08:14:45

Glad to hear I'm not the only phone-hater around. I also can't bear the idea of skyping shock

Texting has made life a lot easier for people with hearing loss.

Groovee Mon 22-Apr-13 08:18:47

I don't like talking on the phone especially at night. I get so tired and my brain gets jumbled. So it comes out as a mess making me look stupid. Texting gives me time to think straight and check my answer.

scarletforya Mon 22-Apr-13 10:34:46

I also hate talking on the phone. I'm quite introverted and prefer to just swop information and get it over with, so I like texting. Meandering, waffling conversation drains me! I feel like asking the person 'so what do you want?' blush, when really they want nothing only to chunter on confusingly!

ScumbagCollegeDropout Mon 22-Apr-13 12:02:36

YABU.

I bloody love texting.

I am much better with written rather than verbal communication.

I dislike talking on mobile phones when out in public.

ChocsAwayInMyGob Mon 22-Apr-13 12:14:17

I hate it when the phone rings as it might be someone who wants to waffle on for half an hour. I am selfish with my time since I had kids and once they're in bed I am uber knackered and don't want to give my only two hours of downtime to other people.

WhitesandsofLuskentyre Mon 22-Apr-13 13:57:26

I'm also in the not sure if YABU camp. I have decided my life is much happier without chatting on the phone. I always seem to get the rhythm of conversation wrong on the phone, leaving gaps that are too long, or talking over the other person. I don't mind using it with my sisters, my mum, my MiL, because if I mess up the niceties they won't take offence, but anyone else I'm really not great with.

I love sending texts to replace the "What time and where?" variety of conversation, where chat is just filling time until you cut to the chase, or if I don't know the person particularly well and really don't want to get into a very British polite conversation.

SilverOldie Mon 22-Apr-13 14:07:57

YANBU - but then I have never sent a text in my life and I regularly have chats with friends.

Francagoestohollywood Mon 22-Apr-13 14:14:22

YANBU

LunaticFringe Mon 22-Apr-13 14:15:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now