Talk

Advanced search

to seriously dislike Becky Brandon nee Bloomwood?

(22 Posts)
MeVsMadonnaVsElvis Sun 21-Apr-13 21:59:52

I love the series of books, but she really is the worst character ever made.

She never learns from her lessons - only seems to make bigger mistakes.

Is ridiculous vain and self-obsessed.

It's not surprising that she only seems to have one friend. Also I question why Luke would stay with someone like that.

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Sun 21-Apr-13 22:02:21

Ha ha - YANBU in the slightest. grin

I couldn't seem to stop reading all the books either, but really detested her. unbelievably annoying.

Redcliff Sun 21-Apr-13 22:02:38

I love her - she is so flawed and so hooked on shopping but so sweet and heart is in the right place. Have read all of the books.

RagamuffinAndFidget Sun 21-Apr-13 22:04:02

YABsoU!! I really like her. She's scatty and totally addicted to shopping but she really does try to get things right. And she seems really kindhearted, not at all self-obsessed!

AudrinaAdare Sun 21-Apr-13 22:05:36

YANBU. I didn't mind the first couple of books but I found the later ones quite sickening to read. Luke deserves so much better even allowing for nightmare MIL.

In the first book (and god only knows why I read them, as they are not at all My Thing tbh) I found her mildly endearing. By half way through the second, I wanted her to die (though she'd probably have to have several chapters of which coffin etc to buy first, I guess). She makes Bridget Jones appear really intelligent.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sun 21-Apr-13 22:07:42

YANBU. Carrie Bradshaw never learns anything either.

Eilidhbelle Sun 21-Apr-13 22:08:13

YANBU, she's hideous. They're an awful couple, actually.

MeVsMadonnaVsElvis Sun 21-Apr-13 22:11:14

It was when she bought an Angel bag that I started to lose all respect for her.

FeckOffCup Sun 21-Apr-13 22:14:07

YANBU at all, I've only read one of the books (the one where the little girl is around two years old) and the mother seriously irritated me, she was a shallow bimbo who compulsively lied about everything. I won't be reading any more of them.

lurkerspeaks Sun 21-Apr-13 22:32:20

I could never understand why her DH stayed with her either.

Totally shallow and unable to ever anticipate anything.

I stopped reading the books.

CambridgeBlue Sun 21-Apr-13 22:34:26

I really liked her in the first couple of books - and identified with her shopping habits! By the last book she had become completely unrealistic though, and not very likeable.

VBisme Sun 21-Apr-13 22:55:12

Only read one and hated the vacuous bint. Plus she lies and thinks its okay - it isn't.

Still18atheart Sun 21-Apr-13 23:02:11

Are the books anything like the movie. Because I really don't like Amy Adams in that

bedmonster Sun 21-Apr-13 23:06:16

Compulsive lying, vanity and shallowness aren't qualities I find particularly attractive in anyone, but I have read all these books confused

Lilithmoon Sun 21-Apr-13 23:20:57

The actor is Isla Fisher, formally in Home and Away!

waltermittymissus Sun 21-Apr-13 23:25:51

At first she was amusing but I wanted to smack her at the end!

They never seemed like a great couple to me either!

Still18atheart Sun 21-Apr-13 23:31:53

Sorry I get the two actresses mixed up blush

ShadowStorm Sun 21-Apr-13 23:47:35

YANBU.

I read a few of them and found her more and more irritating as I got through them.

expatinscotland Sun 21-Apr-13 23:49:02

I tried to read the first book. Tried. Wish there were a 'Shopaholic Walks Off a Bridge'. That one I'd read.

KeatsiePie Mon 22-Apr-13 03:32:33

expat grin I would read that! I liked the first book but then they just got so hard to believe. I saw the latest book appears to be about her daughter and thought please please move on SK., you need a new heroine.

chanie44 Mon 22-Apr-13 09:03:30

I loved the first few books but I think SK should have stopped once BB got pregnant. The one with the sister and the last one, where she plans the party is ridiculous.

I suppose people like BB are part of the reason the economy is in the state it is (spending what you don't have). It also doesn't sit right with me that she is so irresponsible with money when she has a family to consider.

I suppose she went from being a normal lowly paid graduate, which we could all sympathise with, to a rich girl trying to buy a house in maida vale and sending her daughter to private school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now