Talk

Advanced search

To think people on Freecycle should at least try and be polite

(33 Posts)
NikkiLaLa Sun 21-Apr-13 18:42:40

Just that really! I am giving them something for nothing and some (most) of them are downright rude.

I agreed for one woman to have two things I was offering and then cancelled because she couldn't be bothered to say please or thank you! Just had a lovely couple come around who were really nice so they definitely deserved them more than the rude cow!

StuffezLaYoni Sun 21-Apr-13 18:44:25

This pisses me off too. Why do they think "I'll have this can collect tomorrow 6am" will get them the item?

prophylaxis Sun 21-Apr-13 18:45:44

Actually I think everyone should try to be polite, not just people on freecycle.

Perhaps freecycle just attracts a disproportionate number of rude arseholes due to it being a source of "free stuff".

Skellig Sun 21-Apr-13 18:46:45

YANBU. This is a pet hate of mine and dh. We regularly offer things on freecycle and get some spectacularly rude and grabby requests in response. We now have a policy that we just ignore the rude ones. No shows are also a huge bugbear - next time it happens we are going to name and shame!

Naysa Sun 21-Apr-13 18:47:58

They think they're doing you a favour by taking things they want off your hands for free hmm

Gawwd you shoould be grateful hmm grin

Cosmosim Sun 21-Apr-13 18:48:33

Why do people who give away unwanted stuff / crap expect a gratitude contest? I'm just happy someone is willing to schlep to mine to take whatever i can't be bothered to sell off my hands so I don't have to pay someone to bin it.

NikkiLaLa Sun 21-Apr-13 18:49:24

Glad it isn't just me I thought I was being over sensitive! Freecycle haven't posted my "taken" message yet so just had a man asking about the pushchair I offered and his entire message was "postcode please for collection"!

StuffezLaYoni Sun 21-Apr-13 18:51:33

I would never give away "crap" on freecycle and don't expect feet-kissing gratitude. Just a little politeness.

Snog Sun 21-Apr-13 18:51:55

Cosmosim if it's crap you are getting rid of then yes the giver should thank the recipient.
If it's perfectly good and desirable items with a market value then I think the recipient should thank the giver.
Largely on freecycle it's the latter.

StuffezLaYoni Sun 21-Apr-13 18:52:32

What an extremely rude message... I assume you didn't give him the pushchair?!

MintyyAeroEgg Sun 21-Apr-13 18:52:40

Yanbu! People can be astonishingly ignorant.

kotinka Sun 21-Apr-13 18:54:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Skellig Sun 21-Apr-13 18:56:41

We also get annoyed by people requesting high value items - usually in a rude way, too. We've had requests/demands for cars, play stations and X-boxes on our local group.

ItsYoniYappy Sun 21-Apr-13 18:57:51

I'm a moderator for freecycle, it is the worst volunteering job ever, everyone is rude. I am only doing until they find someone else for my area, I have done it for over a year now and never ever had one. Thank you
.. if that! Shittiest volunteering job ever imo

ophelia275 Sun 21-Apr-13 18:58:44

I've stopped giving to people on Freecycle and Gumtree and now only give to charity shops.

I had so many no-shows, so much extreme cheekiness and rudeness. A depressing reflection of the entitlement culture that is so prevalent today.

NikkiLaLa Sun 21-Apr-13 18:59:31

Cosmosim I don't want them to be eternally grateful I just think a please or thank you wouldn't go amiss. I generally take "crap" to the tip it's just stuff that I can't be bothered to sell but feel is too good for the bin I put on FC.

Stuffez no he most definitely did not get the pushchair, he didn't even get a "sorry it's taken" message!

ReluctantlyBeingYoniMassaged Sun 21-Apr-13 19:03:48

Yanbu.

Nikki, I have had messages like that before. I reply with something along the lines of 'I will give my address to the person I offer it to'.

pigletmania Sun 21-Apr-13 19:06:06

Yanbu it seems tat free cycle attracts mostly the rude freeloaders. I wanted to give away dc old baby stuff, so just put a status on Facebook stating what was to giveaway and what location I was, instead I gave them away to a couple of friends who were expecting and they were very thankful. The rest left will be given to charity shop another friend works in. Cosmosin it Takes nothing for a simple please and thank you and to be polite

Viviennemary Sun 21-Apr-13 19:08:48

I don't like freecycle. I am a bit suspcious of it. I'd rather give my unwanted stuff to a charity.

pigletmania Sun 21-Apr-13 19:09:04

You are giving them good stuff so that tey don't have to fork out, yes definitely politeness is the least they could do

pigletmania Sun 21-Apr-13 19:10:25

So I Facebook my stuff and gave them to people I know instead of some rude(not all) strangers

Plomino Sun 21-Apr-13 19:11:38

My local one had a request that made me laugh out of sheer disbelief not. that long ago . Wanted , working fridge , freezer , washing machine AND dishwasher . No crap . To be delivered .

Cannot imagine that they got any replies !

pigletmania Sun 21-Apr-13 19:13:31

Plomino that is exactly what I mean, could not even be arsed to collect himself

HolyMackerel Sun 21-Apr-13 19:13:52

YANBU!

I also use Freecycle and in the past month or so have had: "text me ur full address", "I want this give me your number". Why would I give my personal details to someone so rude?

I only give to those with more polite responses, and don't even reply to the rude ones.

kotinka Sun 21-Apr-13 19:14:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now