Talk

Advanced search

To allow my 12 year old son to wax/thread eyebrows

(35 Posts)
pancakedays Sun 21-Apr-13 13:30:10

My 12 year old DS has a monobrow. If has become worse over the last year as he is going through puberty.
He is being teased at school, and although he tells me that he does not feel he is being bullied, he has become alot quieter and shuts himself away in his room. This could just be his age though!
I spoke to DH husband about waxing/threading and he thinks it is a stupid idea, and that lots of men have monobrows and it is just one of those things. My DH has a slight monobrow but his hair is lighter than DS and not as obvious.
It only bothers me as it bothers my DS. I would also be worried about re growth as he would have to keep waxing/threading.
Any ideas?

K8eee Sun 21-Apr-13 13:32:56

Nothing wrong with a bit of male grooming! Admittedly he might not want to tell his friends or have you or DH bring it up infront of anyone other than yourselves (which I'm sure you wouldn't) but I don't see any harm in it. If it makes him feel better and the bullying stops and he gets his confidence back give him the choice

GoblinGranny Sun 21-Apr-13 13:34:41

Have you talked about how he feels with him?
Lay out the possibilities and ask DS what he'd like to do, if anything.
Make it clear that it's a matter of indifference to you, but you want him to feel happy and confident, and if cosmetic interventions help, then it's fine.

GoblinGranny Sun 21-Apr-13 13:35:44

DS uses cleanser, moisturises and handcream. His mates don't know, and he has no idea if they do or not.

squeakytoy Sun 21-Apr-13 13:35:55

Of course you should let him have it done if he wants it, and especially if he is getting teased or feels conscious about it. It is hair removal, not a tattoo!

LeChatRouge Sun 21-Apr-13 13:36:07

Anything that can make a self conscious teen feel better is fine by me. I just asked my teenage son and he said definitely fine to pluck or wax. Like K8 said, you don't have to tell anyone else. Will need regular maintenance though.

Branleuse Sun 21-Apr-13 13:36:24

I would take him to get it done

Branleuse Sun 21-Apr-13 13:36:40

waxing is less painful and quicker than threading

DontSHOUTTTTTT Sun 21-Apr-13 13:38:20

I encouraged my DS's to do some man grooming. My DH would have Edward Healy eyebrows if they were left to their own devices.

One of my DS's has had to shave daily for years, he had a tache at 11/12 ish. I used to do a bit of plucking or waxing of his monobrow but now he just shaves the centre bit. It looks much neater.

My DS's have a relaxed attitude to how they look but I think it is a good thing they take some care over their grooming.

If it bothers your DS I would sort it out straight away. I found wax strips worked well and only took a moment.

talkingnonsense Sun 21-Apr-13 13:38:22

I would just pluck a few from the middle so it is a gradual change- less chance of anyone noticing he has had it "done".

TheChaoGoesMu Sun 21-Apr-13 13:38:22

Let him do it.

K8eee Sun 21-Apr-13 13:42:33

Talkingnonsense has a fair point about doing it gradually. Maybe soak the area with a hot flannel and pluck a few each night for him. Unless he does want the full works straight away.

I've noticed a lot of men don't groom themselves even though its popular now. In the 2 years I've been with DH I've converted him into using deodorant (he's not very sweaty normally), moisturiser, face scrub and nose pore strips! grin

pancakedays Sun 21-Apr-13 13:43:49

Yes, I have spoken to him as I wanted to ensure that it did not matter to me or his DH.
I have told him to if he does have waxing or threading he would have to continue to have that done. I think he thought it may be a one off treatment.
It is so difficult to gage his actual feelings at the moment. He changes his mind like the wind! He would make a decision only to change it 10 minutes later.
Also, what treatment would be best for a 12 year old? I pluck my eyebrows but I think that this would be too uncomfortable. Waxing or threading, or is there an alternative?

imour Sun 21-Apr-13 13:44:39

for a boy i would just lighten the middle bit of hair so it wasnt obvious , boys with plucked , waxed or threaded brows always look a bit camp .

Branleuse Sun 21-Apr-13 13:44:40

or get those eyebrow waxing strips from superdrug or boots and do the middle bit yourself

Branleuse Sun 21-Apr-13 13:45:23

but then id probably go to a professional to shape them in a more masculine but neater shape first and then just keep it up at home with tweezers

K8eee Sun 21-Apr-13 13:46:06

Would bleaching work? I don't know if its too delicate the skin on his face or maybe hair removal cream that dissolves it, but the I guess you would have to be REALLY careful :-/

Isthiscorrect Sun 21-Apr-13 13:47:54

Deffo let him do it. Ds and Dh have it done when they get a haircut, dh also gets his ears done. Agree go gradual, I think it's a lot more common now than ever before.
Wish I could get ds to cleanse and moisturise daily, he oes it when he remembers and it makes a difference to his spotty skin.

pancakedays Sun 21-Apr-13 13:48:57

Thanks for your replies. I think maybe if I started plucking the hairs in the centre, it may help and get him used to it.

SageMist Sun 21-Apr-13 13:52:18

My dd was teased so badly, by one child one one single occasion about her mono brow, that at age 8 she trimmed her eye brows very badly with nail scissors.

She's been having her brows waxed above her nose ever since.
And now she's much more confidant.

Please don't let your ds's troubles go on. Either use tweezers or wax or tackle the teasing/bullying.

Wellthen Sun 21-Apr-13 13:52:55

My DP and brother both pluck the middle bit. They don't look camp or groomed as it just looks as if their brows come to a natural stopping point (as some people's do seem to...lucky bastards). I agree to plucking a few out every few days as getting all of them waxed off at once may lead to more teasing. Bleaching would be more obvious as he would have a mass of blond hair inbetween dark ones. You wouldnt see them far away but you would definitely notice close up.

goodtimesarecoming Sun 21-Apr-13 14:05:06

My 12 year old Ds has a monobrow (as do i if nature was left to take its course!) I just cut a wax strip into the right size and wax the gap every few weeks, he quite enjoys it.

stopgap Sun 21-Apr-13 15:00:23

SageMist, I also trimmed my eyebrows with nail scissors! I didn't have a monobrow, but I did have thick eyebrows, which, it appears, are now all the rage among youngsters.

Anyway, I would take your son to get either threading or waxing, but just have them do the middle.

HerrenaHandbasket Sun 21-Apr-13 15:07:10

My DH recommends that you be careful as he remembers a (male) mate who went to a salon for eyebrow threading and came back with 'women's eyebrows' confused

I think that gradual plucking hairs from the middle might be the best move! Get some basic moisturiser for afterwards so it doesn't go all red -I recommend Boots own brand, costs £1.50 last of the big spenders

StuntGirl Sun 21-Apr-13 15:10:39

If he wants to let him go for it. Nothing wrong with personal grooming, whether you're male or female.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now