Talk

Advanced search

To be obsessed with people touching their faces.....

(8 Posts)
Uppatreecuppatea Sat 20-Apr-13 23:28:23

I saw the film Contagion last night. Dreadful film. Don't waste your time unless the idea of seeing dear Gywnnie Paltrow looking pretty pale puts the groove in your kale smoothies.

Anyway, there's a line in the film where it says that we touch our faces 2,000 times a day.

It's true! I had coffee with my sister today and I was enthralled to watch her touch her face ....well, I couldn't keep up!

Am now obsessed with seeing how much people do it. I did it 12 times writing this post (one handed wonder!).

It is an evil which has bewitched me. And I'm sorry - you are how infected! grin

Take heed, germ spreaders!

notsoyoniface Sat 20-Apr-13 23:33:21

Aww I love that film, it made me more aware of germ spreading. I now insist on anti bac gel on our clocking in and out machine at work because you have to put your whole hand on it.

Punkatheart Sun 21-Apr-13 00:38:01

I think the rise in cases of OCD are directly linked to this nonsense about germs and people making huge profits with antibacterial goods. Hospitals need them because people may have compromised immune systems - but I find the level of neurosis about germs truly worrying in some people.

I think moderation in all things, common sense and live life. Sometimes we are going to be ill - that's life. Our immune systems get stronger as a result.

AgentZigzag Sun 21-Apr-13 00:45:19

Has there been a rise in cases of OCD linked to germ nonsense?

When did that happen?

You can't help but notice companies like dettol/dettox trying to scare the fuck out of people about all the lurgy germs lurking in sinister ways about your house, but that's the panic about the different whatever-flus being exploited.

Punkatheart Sun 21-Apr-13 01:06:41

www.sci.sdsu.edu/classes/psychology/psy760/ocd.pdf

Punkatheart Sun 21-Apr-13 01:15:29

This is shockingly cynical:

www.veale.co.uk/news/ocd-sanitizer/

Lottashakingoinon Sun 21-Apr-13 10:08:11

puts the groove in your kale smoothies.

Have no opinion on whether you are being reasonable or not but THANK YOU a million times for this little gem. I will be using it ceaselessly from now on and claiming it as my own

Punkatheart Sun 21-Apr-13 10:38:48

I know that advertising by its very nature makes us discontent and therefore we buy things to plug those gaps. But the neurosis sales have become so extreme - we smell, our loos (and teeth) are not bright white enough, our homes stink so much we are social pariahs, the dog brings in germs, our babies are in danger....blah blah blah. For someone with fragile mental health, this constant barrage of worry rammed down our throats must have an effect, surely?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now