Talk

Advanced search

in thinking dd will grow out of this???

(7 Posts)
abayababe Sat 20-Apr-13 11:59:22

I have three DC, eldest dd1 is going on 7, ds 5 and youngest ds 2 , dd has alwasy been headstrong, stubborn, hot headed ever since she could talk, while i think her strong personality will stand to her in the future, I'am just curious to know if i am handling a few aspects of her behaviour correctly..

She tends to over react and be over emotional over the slightest thing and while 9 times out of 10 I ignore these outbursts which quite honestly are over as quick as they begin, I am worried how long more she will be like this, and family members are beginning to label her as a bit nuts all be it in an affectionate way, they all seem to enjoy her and she can be quite witty and is very sociable.

At school she seems to be doing well no problems, it just gets a bit wearing especially when she has any kind of an audience the drama seems to just escalate and all eyes turn to me, she gets on well with her two younger brothers who adore her, they on the other hand are the most placid little boys you could come accross, any advice would be welcome, I really am hoping that she is just a little bit immature but maybe someone might have experienced this and let me know how to deal with it correctly, she has a good heart and I really want to enjoy my only girl

KirjavaTheCat Sat 20-Apr-13 12:05:36

It depends if she becomes rude when she has these moments, if just a bit stressed and irritated, I think that's something she'll grow out of. I'd encourage her to chill though, but that's just me.

If she's rude, that's something to tackle.

Euphemia Sat 20-Apr-13 12:08:05

I teach P3 and I see what you describe in a few of the girls. Drama and tears over nothing at all, falling out with BFF once a day then best buds again ten minutes later.

Don't encourage the drama - stay calm and quiet as you deal with it. Make sure you're boosting her self-esteem whenever you can. Acting out can often have its roots in low self-esteem.

In my experience they do grow out of it, but it's harder if they have an audience!

squeakytoy Sat 20-Apr-13 12:21:12

my stepsons daughter was 7 last month, and is just like yours OP from the description.. but she is also very spoiled, indulged and a madam though.. the family are hoping she will grow out of it, but it isnt very likely..

It sounds like you are dealing with it the right way so hopefully you will be more sucessful than my stepson.

mrsjay Sat 20-Apr-13 12:26:42

Don't encourage the drama - stay calm and quiet as you deal with it. Make sure you're boosting her self-esteem whenever you can. Acting out can often have its roots in low self-esteem

^ ^ this

abayababe Sat 20-Apr-13 15:20:33

its interesting about low self esteem because her teacher says she does lack confidence in certain areas, although you would never think it if you met her, I'am quite strict with her and I dont let her get away with things at all, I have no problem cancelling activites or play dates if her bad behaviour warrants it but the frustrating thing is that it just all seems to wash over her, when she has these melt downs i make little of it later when we are having a quiet time I would say to her that her behaviour was really silly and what will so and so think of her behaving like that when I know she is lovely really, and she will agree and be sorry and get upset, I have tried to tell her to count to ten if she is feeling frustrated or upset and come to me or go to her teacher instead of going off on one, which she agrees but never does, i will just have to be calm and patient i guess, not looking forward to the teens thats for sure lol

imour Sat 20-Apr-13 15:29:11

i have 2 teen daughters , one is quiet ,sulky and stubborn never sorry when annoyed , the other is loud and dramatic but over it in minutes always sorry after ,both been brought up the same , so no matter how you deal with them they are who they are , not every one acts the same nor should they .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now