Talk

Advanced search

Mandatory Work Activity WTF?

(32 Posts)
DeadWomanWalking Sat 20-Apr-13 11:30:10

I'm currently on JSA and my advisor has put me forward for Mandatory Work Activity (gee great thanks hmm). I've just had a letter telling me I start on Thursday it's with Age Concern, which I'm pleased about as I was hoping it would be with a charity and not some multi-national millionaire company.

With it there is a time sheet that details my hours for the next 4 weeks. On my first day I do 10am-4.30pm, which is fine. But then it has me down as having working 8am-6pm 7 days a week for the next 4 weeks! shockconfused Surely that can't be right? 70 hours a week, 7 days a week and no days off for over a month? confused I can't ring anyone until Monday to find out if it's correct or not. I was wondering if anyone on here has had to do it, and if so what were your hours?

It says a minimum of 30 hours a week. Surely it's illegal to work 70 hours a week without a day off? confused I'm also supposed to find the time during this 70 hour week no day off in 4 weeks period to also sign on (if I don't I loose benefits) how I'm supposed to do that when the jobcentre is only open 9-5? Are they going to stay open late especially for me, I don't think so. I also have to attend any appointments my advisor sets at the jobcentre and do 30 hours of job searching a week. How is that going to be possible?

Of course I suppose I should be thanking them for my food and water should be oh so humble. "Gee whiz fanks ever so much Mr Cameron Sir you're ever so kind to a feckless lazy scrounger like me." hmm

As you can tell I'm very worked up over this. angry

noisytoys Sat 20-Apr-13 11:36:19

That is ridiculous I hope it is a mistake. This whole thing is a joke it makes me so angry angrysad

juneybean Sat 20-Apr-13 11:40:18

The whole thing is ridiculous, you should only work the number of hours that make up jobseekers allowance at minimum wage (9 hours?)

SuffolkNWhat Sat 20-Apr-13 11:40:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DeadWomanWalking Sat 20-Apr-13 11:40:35

Argh lose not loose

DeadWomanWalking Sat 20-Apr-13 11:42:13

I'm really hoping that's what it means Suffolk, all though there is no room on the time sheet to amend the times, and I have to detail all the times I am there. I'm going to be bloody steaming about this all weekend until I can speak to someone on Monday.

DeadWomanWalking Sat 20-Apr-13 11:42:43

Although, not bloody all though. hmm

CecilyP Sat 20-Apr-13 11:43:17

Yes, I would assume it just means you will be working for 30 hours a week within those times but they haven't yet worked out the exact times that they want you after the first day.

WishIdbeenatigermum Sat 20-Apr-13 11:44:05

It has to be a mistake confused
Don't worry and good luck b

lauriedriver Sat 20-Apr-13 11:44:54

I doubt it's illegal to work 70hrs a week!! I did an extra 9hrs overtime last week on top of my usual 50.

juneybean Sat 20-Apr-13 11:45:58

Working time regulations states you must have an uninterupted rest period of 24 hours per week or 48 hours per two weeks.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 20-Apr-13 11:51:16

In general the Working Time Regulations provide rights to:

#a limit of an average 48 hours a week on the hours a worker can be required to work, though individuals may choose to work longer by "opting out"
#5.6 weeks' paid leave a year
#11 consecutive hours' rest in any 24-hour period
#a 20-minute rest break if the working day is longer than six hours
#one day off each week
#a limit on the normal working hours of night workers to an average eight hours in any 24-hour period, and an entitlement for night workers to receive regular health assessments.

m.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1373

TidyDancer Sat 20-Apr-13 11:52:18

Maybe it means that those are your potential hours of work but that the exact hours are to be decided by the shop manager, dependent on their need?

I agree it's a clumsy way of writing it, but I suspect that's what's meant.

AlbertaCampion Sat 20-Apr-13 11:53:10

Don't worry: it will be a mistake. I think you have lucked out with Age Concern / Age UK though: I used to work for them and they were lovely smile.

Loulybelle Sat 20-Apr-13 11:56:33

Charity Shops arent even open 8am til 6pm, 7 days a week, check out the opening times of the store your at.

I did my MWP in Feb, i did 20 hours a week for 4 weeks, due to my child care commitments.

Loulybelle Sat 20-Apr-13 11:58:41

Most likely your hours will be between 10 til 4, 5 days a week, dependent on the manager. I got given my hours by Seetec, not sure why you werent.

TenBitSailor Sat 20-Apr-13 12:00:34

Got to be an error or badly worded, surely?

Jinsei Sat 20-Apr-13 12:12:05

Don't worry OP, it's bound to be a mistake. You won't be expected to work those hours.

I agree that you've lucked out in getting Age Concern. I hate this scheme and object to it strongly, but if you have to do it, it's much better to know that you're working for a good cause rather than a big corporation.

I hope you get the answers you're looking for on Monday.

Loulybelle Sat 20-Apr-13 12:21:57

Jinsei, Seetec generally prefer to use Charity Shops for the MWP, i did mine in one, and i had the best time. I'd have been less happy if i got shoved in tesco, coz i hate Tesco. I loved working at the Charity shop, i even donated to them.

Jinsei Sat 20-Apr-13 12:25:35

I didn't know that Louly, but I'm glad to hear it. Unpaid work for a charity is much more palatable than slave labour for tesco!

Jinsei Sat 20-Apr-13 12:26:33

Oh, and I'm glad you had such a good time there. I hope that the OP has a similarly positive experience. smile

Loulybelle Sat 20-Apr-13 12:28:30

I think all the shit they got for using big business lead to a re think, i remember hearing they were gonna put a girl forward for work in a church coffee shop. Little Business get the benefit.

Tesco earn enough, they can pay for their own damn staff.

BlackMaryJanes Sat 20-Apr-13 12:31:27

OP how long have you been on JSA for?

DeadWomanWalking Sat 20-Apr-13 14:52:56

BlackMaryJanes I've been on JSA for almost 8 months now.

Loulybelle that's good to know that they're good to work for. smile Can I ask, what did you wear whilst you worked there? Was it just smart clothes or could you wear jeans? It's been that long since I've worked or even had an interview I don't have any work clothes that fit me any more. blush It's a company called JHP who are handling mine, I'm hoping that it is just potential hours I could work.

Loulybelle Sat 20-Apr-13 15:02:10

I went smart casual, not stuff but still smart, to start black trousers and a smart top, then check out out the other staff wear.

Your hours are likely to be 10 til 4, because thats the normal hours of Age Concern.

I been on JSA for 7 months, after 5 years as a SAHM, not even an interview yet, so i know how you feel.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: