Talk

Advanced search

to think that men being killed by their wives is not funny

(28 Posts)
YoniMaroney Fri 19-Apr-13 11:44:55

This video starts with the tale a man apparently raped to death by his six wives:

videos.huffingtonpost.com/husband-dies-after-rape-by-6-wives-517426893

and continues with another story of a husband being strangled and dissected, for not showering.

It seems that abuse of men, while less common than that of women, is regarded as amusing first and foremost.

ouryve Fri 19-Apr-13 11:46:36

YANBU

HungryClocksGoBackFourSeconds Fri 19-Apr-13 11:50:09

WTF?? YANBU.

It's not "Extreme revenge" It's domestic violence culminating in murder.

The voice over sounds like she's grinning the whole way through it. Absolutely disturbing and not funny at all. RIP to those poor men.

Dahlen Fri 19-Apr-13 11:52:38

YANBU Of course you're not. That's horrific.

Given that it's the Huffington Post however, I wonder if it's being deliberately provocative to prove a point about how few eyebrows are raised when this sort of thing happens the other way round - as it does in vast numbers on a daily basis.

YoniMaroney Fri 19-Apr-13 11:54:30

It's pretty awful isn't it. From the voiceover:

"The women armed with sticks and knives demanded that he had sex with all of them"

"The man declined to participate but was soon overpowered, and the sex march began."

"He quit breathing once it was the fifth bride's turn, causing many to call the incident a rape."

Er, yes, it was a rape because they were "armed with sticks and knives" and because he "declined to participate".

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Fri 19-Apr-13 11:57:44

Who is saying that it is funny?

YoniMaroney Fri 19-Apr-13 12:02:13

The video is done for comic effect, ImTooHecsyForYourParty, starting with 'Any man who dreams of having multiple wives may want to rethink that fantasy', a smirking tone throughout, and comedy exploding text such as "Struck with iron and strangled".

TigOldBitties Fri 19-Apr-13 12:05:19

I don't think its done for comedic effect at all.

Yanbu that men being killed by their wives is not funny.

Yabu to think this video is attempting to be funny.

WallyBantersYoniBox Fri 19-Apr-13 12:07:49

How would that physically work though?

How could a man, in fear for his life, being threatened with sticks and knives, maintain an erection to have sex four times??

I'm confused. Not belittling a possibly horrific occurrence but I can't conceive how it happened.

YoniMaroney Fri 19-Apr-13 12:09:26

I don't see why they would connect the two stories, if it wasn't intended to be an amusing roundup of dead husbands.

YoniMaroney Fri 19-Apr-13 12:10:21

Ugh really, WallyBanters? Is that like how if a woman is being raped then she must be enjoying it if her vagina is wet?

Fakebook Fri 19-Apr-13 12:14:05

I don't see where someone has tried to make this look or sound funny. It's actually horrific. shock

HungryClocksGoBackFourSeconds Fri 19-Apr-13 12:14:41

Many male victims of rape feel ashamed and confused because they have gotten erections during the rape although they were definitely not consenting.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Fri 19-Apr-13 12:15:34

Ah. I can't get sound on my pc, so couldn't get anything from the link. damned kids have messed with something and I can't bloody figure it out!

a comedy voiceover would be totally inappropriate, yes.

busygirl Fri 19-Apr-13 12:15:49

Wally has a point tho,even if a woman isn't wet sex(rape) is possible,but if a men is not aroused how can he be forced to have an erection?

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Fri 19-Apr-13 12:16:41

WallyBanters. That is a common misconception. However, an erection is a physiological response to stimulation, and it is possible for a man to maintain an erection whilst being raped.

Rape of men is just as serious as rape of women. It is not any different. No means no, regardless of the sex of the victim or the perpetrator.

WallyBantersYoniBox Fri 19-Apr-13 12:17:15

Not exactly what I was saying so please don't put words into my mouth. I hardly said he must have enjoyed it, did I?

Wind your neck in.

HungryClocksGoBackFourSeconds Fri 19-Apr-13 12:17:25

It's the tone of the voice over more than anything, she does sound like she's smirking while describing these horrific attacks. Also, there's no real mention of the men as people, their names are not mentioned nor are there any details about their lives other than being victims. They are so anonymous there's not human connection to them, it's like the stories are just an urban myth.

WallyBantersYoniBox Fri 19-Apr-13 12:19:43

Thank you Couthy that's what i was looking for, is there an explanation for the physical capacity to do this. I was wondering more if there was a fear or paralysis that might cause this to happen. Or they could have forced some drugs on him. Just seems like a random vignette of a story with very little information.

WMittens Fri 19-Apr-13 12:50:53

YoniMaroney

'Er, yes, it was a rape because they were "armed with sticks and knives" and because he "declined to participate".'

Pedantically, if we used the word as defined in English law, it wasn't rape.

I completely agree that it is the same principle and seriousness, nonetheless.

PromQueenWithin Fri 19-Apr-13 12:51:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Fri 19-Apr-13 12:59:13

shock the poor man! i havent clicked on the link so no idea whos saying its funny but if someone is saying this they clearly have a very sick sense of humour.

squeakytoy Fri 19-Apr-13 13:08:28

I dont think it is meant to be funny in any way. The voice narrating is an american regional accent and does have a twang to it that makes it sound like she is finding the story amusing, but I would honestly say it is just her accent that makes it seem that way.

FreudiansSlipper Fri 19-Apr-13 13:15:33

well the first story a man has 6 wives you really think this is about him suffering domestic abuse yes these woman would have had so many choices in their life hmm

to put it together with the second story does not make sense

yes I think it is done in a way to show that life is cheap in other countries and the absurdity to us of how some people live and how extreme violence is just part of every day life

currentbuns Fri 19-Apr-13 13:18:19

I agree, it's the sort of accent that could (and does) make the gravest of subjects sound flippant. I really don't think it's intended to be funny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now