Talk

Advanced search

Names people choose for themselves

(29 Posts)
WidowWadman Thu 18-Apr-13 19:53:17

So when someone chooses wether to not change their name get married or to change their name, it's without doubt bloody rude to not observe their choice and call them by the name they have not chosen for themselves, and I've never heard anyone disagree with that.

So why is it ok to call Osborne by the name he's been given at birth rather the one he chose for himself?

Does the etiquette only apply to surnames?

(btw - no big fan of him, just wondering in general)

Euphemia Thu 18-Apr-13 19:54:29

It's nothing to do with manners, and everything to do with people having no respect for him because he's a git.

Flobbadobs Thu 18-Apr-13 20:02:52

Funnily enough I thought this when reading the other thread, I suspect people would call anyone else by the name they are known by but being who he is he's an open target.
He changed his name when he was 13 ffs, it's childish!

Flobbadobs Thu 18-Apr-13 20:06:13

Ahem...
It's childish and ignorant to refer to him by his old name. Even his political enemies are capable of usuing his actual legal name!

tabulahrasa Thu 18-Apr-13 20:07:49

'it's without doubt bloody rude to not observe their choice and call them by the name they have not chosen for themselves, and I've never heard anyone disagree with that.'

But they're being rude on purpose in this case - aren't they? Isn't that the point of doing it?

Portofino Thu 18-Apr-13 20:10:20

I am always a bit bemused by the hatred for individual politicians. I don't believe they are all evil incarnate. There are party policies and a democratic vote for changes in law etc. it not like one old Etonian gets to decide ON HIS OWN what is going to happen. Ditto all the Thatcher stuff.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Thu 18-Apr-13 20:10:35

Erm, yes, the whole point is to show you don't respect him......

Bowlersarm Thu 18-Apr-13 20:10:53

OP they are deliberately being rude because they don't like him. Although I much prefer the name Gideon to the name George so i like them doing it.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Thu 18-Apr-13 20:11:34

Bears also shit in woods

Bowlersarm Thu 18-Apr-13 20:11:42

Agree Porto

WidowWadman Thu 18-Apr-13 20:13:03

"But they're being rude on purpose in this case - aren't they? Isn't that the point of doing it?"

You could argue though, that those who call someone who chose to keep their maiden name by their spouse's name are rude on purpose, too. So where's the difference?

EhricLovesTeamQhuay Thu 18-Apr-13 20:13:43

It's done deliberately to take the piss out of him. Hth.

EhricLovesTeamQhuay Thu 18-Apr-13 20:14:10

Gideon deserves mockery and shame, that's the difference.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Thu 18-Apr-13 20:16:15

Sorry, i'm not following Widow

I think, in the second case, they may be being rude, they may have just assumed someone has changed their name when they haven't, or they may have forgotten.

In Osborne's case, it is definitely rudeness

HumphreyCobbler Thu 18-Apr-13 20:16:54

it is ok to say anything about a tory, didn't you know?

(I am not that fond of George Osbourne either btw)

Startail Thu 18-Apr-13 20:17:03

The whole of that thread is unnecessary and in very poor taste, whatever you think of the man in question.

As for names, I have never answered to my full name and would instantly judge anyone who insisted on using it.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Thu 18-Apr-13 20:17:30

Withing reason, and the law, and general good taste

JamieandtheMagicTorch Thu 18-Apr-13 20:17:48

Within

JamieandtheMagicTorch Thu 18-Apr-13 20:19:28

I like Gideon too. Wonder why he changed it?

Bowlersarm Thu 18-Apr-13 20:21:45

Do we know why he changed his name? I know he was about 13 when he did it, and that it was him not his parents

Flobbadobs Thu 18-Apr-13 20:25:20

The guy looks like a pink frog, has the largest forehead on the planet and the only way people can take the piss is by using part of his name?

Flobbadobs Thu 18-Apr-13 20:27:00

www.independent.co.uk/news/people/diary/the-feral-beast-osborne-reveals-his-novel-name-8420308.html

HazardLamps Thu 18-Apr-13 20:27:15

It's no more acceptable than to purposefully call someone the wrong surname. It's deliberately rude and very childish.

Bowlersarm Thu 18-Apr-13 20:28:02

Flobba You are wrong. My DH has the biggest forehead on the planet

Flobbadobs Thu 18-Apr-13 20:28:50

Bowlersarm grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now