Talk

Advanced search

Teacher favouring "high achievers"

(8 Posts)
MNBlackpoolandFylde Thu 18-Apr-13 19:40:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DribbleWiper Thu 18-Apr-13 19:45:15

The thing to find out for starters is whether the rewards system is whole-school or specific to the individual teacher. If it's the former, you need to take the issue up with the headteacher.

Effort and relative achievement should be rewarded much more than it seems to be at present. Work should be judged by how much progress has been made relative to ability. It's not that every child should win something for the sake of winning something, but that your daughter is clearly trying her hardest and it not being acknowledged.

deleted203 Thu 18-Apr-13 19:49:11

This teacher is failing badly, IMO. Academic achievement is not the only thing she should be praising. Effort is equally important (as is behaviour and manners I think).

I think you have been more than patient and I would be making an appointment to see her and saying that you have major concerns about the fact that the only pupils she values or rewards are the bright ones. I'd have pointed out the fact that I was most unhappy not to see ANY of my child's work on display. I would certainly be suggesting that she instigates a 'Best Effort' prize in addition to achievement and (bearing in mind what you have said about your DDs needs) would be adding that I wondered if she realised how badly she was discriminating against children on the SEN register. It really is appalling if she is allowed to get away with this, TBH.

crypes Thu 18-Apr-13 19:49:25

Yep I've had completely the same experience as you when my DD was at primary school, the constant emphasis on the clever top five pupils and even the gifted and talented club like a VIP thing that the majority of children couldn't join! Also an open day when not one thing of my child's was on display. To tell you the truth I couldn't wait for DD to go to high school where the actual number of pupils there make it hardworking for the teachers to keep picking out the clever ones, in fact I feel my DD had a fair crack of the whip now at high school.

pooka Thu 18-Apr-13 19:52:29

This is a ridiculous system.

At dcs school, stars of the week are chosen on the basis of excellence or effort, in any area.

So children who have really tried hard to meet their targets, or who have been kind,or have drawn a great (for them) picture may get Star of the week.

House points are awarded for hard work, helping in classroom, being polite, doing jobs etc. they are all totted up per team and the team with the most points at the end of term have something fun to do.

It is on the whole a fair system. Though sometimes I feel it's a bit weighted against academic stuff (in relation to personal targets). So ds1 may do some great work, but is less likely to get a star than a child who pushed ds1 over two days in a row and then "really tried to control himself and didn't make any bad choices" for a couple of days. Ho hum..

I'd say that all dcs get star of the week at some point in the year.

pooka Thu 18-Apr-13 19:56:56

I think that ofsted would be critical of a system that only rewards academic excellence according to cohort ranking or nc levels rather than recognising individual progress and targets (behaviour or academic of whatever). It's completely unfair and pointless because children are capable of working out whether the reward is attainable.

MNBlackpoolandFylde Thu 18-Apr-13 20:01:31

MNBlackpoolandFylde Thu 18-Apr-13 20:05:40

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now