Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to refuse to pay for glasses?

(4 Posts)
Hegsy Thu 18-Apr-13 10:50:22

I got new glasses last June very rarely wear them as I have contacts which I predominantly wear. So last night I'm cleaning them and they just broke in two [shocked] so took them back this morning and one of the first things the assistant said to me was she had the same frame and it happened to her too. She then looked up my order and said as I'd had them more than six months they were no longer under guarantee so I would need to buy the frames again(£99) and they'd transfer over the lenses free of charge! I said no way, why should I pay for something that's faulty and why on earth would I want the same frames again when there was obviously a fault with them? After some back on forth with the director they agreed to give me new ones free of charge I picked a new frame got the order organised and left but now I'm worried I was being unreasonable? Should I have offered to meet them halfway or something? I know I have a short temper and can sometimes be a bit fiery.

So WIBU?

PregnantPain Thu 18-Apr-13 10:51:36

If there is known to be a fault with the glasses frames they shouldn't still be selling them. Yanbu.

CajaDeLaMemoria Thu 18-Apr-13 10:52:14

Legally after 6 months you'd need to prove that they were faulty when you bought them.

You didn't threaten them, though, or refuse to leave: they offered a replacement so you are perfectly entitled to take it. Well done smile

sashh Thu 18-Apr-13 11:08:24

YANBU

You don't wear them that often, everything you buy is expected to last a 'reasonable time', which depends on what you are buying.

Glasses should last more than 6 months.

Check with the CAD, or google 'sale of goods act'.

Your contract is with the shop not the manufacturer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now