Advanced search

WIBU to apply for this job?

(11 Posts)
calidadsuprema Wed 17-Apr-13 22:47:35

I have posted on Employment Issues too but hoping for some quick responses as I have to decide quickly on this issue. I have been in my current position for 4 years. Its a mid management professional role. No pay rises or promotions in that time (pay freeze).

I have been contacted today by a recruitment consultant who has placed me in the past (not in current role). She is looking to fill a position in a very similar organisation to the one I work for - she sent me the job spec and it is very similar to my current role. The salary for the job she has been appointed to find candidates for is 15% more than my salary. Other terms and conditions are identical wrt hours/annual leave/pension etc.

I'd like to apply for the other job but I have a problem. Our sector is quite small and my line manager and the line manager in the new role are friends. The line manager in the new role knows me too - he was involved in the interview process for my current role although did not then and does not now work for my current organisation.

So if I apply, my current line manager will get to know about it. And if I am unsuccessful, well.....

If I decide not to apply for the new role, should I mention to my own line manager (appraisal coming up) that I know organisation X is recruiting for a post with v similar responsibilities to mine at 15% higher salary?

LilyAmaryllis Wed 17-Apr-13 23:08:37

What are the circumstances behind the pay-freeze, eg is it highly unlikely it can be changed (eg public sector rules set high up) or would there be room for manoeuvre. Who in the organisation can make decisions on salary levels?

As you all know each other, IF there is room for manoeuvre on pay levels, I would talk now (while job still available) to your line manager pointing out the pay difference. Not saying you want to leave the organisation of course! but that you need to know whether there is any scope for the extra pay.

FredFredGeorge Wed 17-Apr-13 23:13:00

Talk to your line manager about it, if your manager is any good they need to care about what's best for you as much as the company, and if they genuinely can't match the salary they need to come up with some other way of keeping you.

It's sad to lose good employees, but you can't hold them back, be open about the change. And apply.

ShellyBoobs Wed 17-Apr-13 23:23:52

What's the worst that can happen if you apply for the new position and don't get it?

Your current manager finds out you applied and (if he's being arsey) you don't get a payrise at the next review? You haven't had a rise for four years so what's new?

My point is that you have less to lose by applying for the position than by staying put, in my opinion.

Also, I wouldn't hold a grudge against one of my valued staff if they applied for another job. I'd want to know what was attracting them to another position and I'd be trying to find a way to keep them.

calidadsuprema Thu 18-Apr-13 12:54:37

Thanks all. My appraisal has been scheduled for tomorrow so will raise this issue then.

calidadsuprema Fri 10-May-13 19:02:44

Update: I mentioned to line manager at my appraisal that I had been "headhunted" by the agency. Line manager was quite surprised and made it clear that he wants me to stay in current job. Mention was made at my appraisal that LM wants to move me along my current payscale and work with me over the next 12 months to get me to the next grade. The next pay grade is at level of role I have been headhunted for.

LM closed the appraisal by stating he would schedule a further meeting very soon to discuss where on payscale I would be moved to. That was 3 weeks ago.

In the meantime, I decided to find out more about the new role - had a first interview with the new organisation and was told immediately afterward that I am one of 2 final candidates for the role. Final interview is next week.

LM took me aside yesterday and asked to speak to me. He asked me outright if I had been for interview with new organisation. I said I had (remember my LM knows a senior director in new organisation) and that I was in final 2 candidates. This was not a formal meeting. I would prefer not to be so open with him but he does know people in new organisation so has obviously found out something.

LM spoke to me again today (one to one, but informal) and indicated he really wants me to stay and that he would be recommending that I be moved one point up on my current grade, a 4% inc on my present salary. He again mentioned about working with me to get me onto the more senior grade "hopefully within 12 months". So not too bad. However, he kind of floored me by saying that if I was successful at 2nd interview and decided to move, that he would advertise my current role at higher grade and pay!!!!

I feel a bit down to be honest. I might be successful in second interview and I might not. Two colleagues have had 14-15% rises (and moved up 3 points on their payscales) this month so I don't think it is money.

Eilidhbelle Fri 10-May-13 21:01:22

You should definitely go to the interview, and congratulations on getting so far!

It sounds to me like your boss is trying to butter you up and/or guilt trip you into staying in your current job. He hasn't actually given you anything concrete - and be is obviously in a position to do so if he's so confident in advertising your job at a higher salary. I would just stay honest and fair, and if you're offered the job you'll be in a much more comfortable position to negotiate anyway.

HollyBerryBush Fri 10-May-13 21:05:55

Not rocket science is it? you tell your LM that you have been head hunted, its not given you will get the position, but as it s 15% more, they clearly think you are in the running for it and worth 15% more, so LM, what can you do for me?

Of course, they often pick non runners to make a particular candidate look good.

LaGuardia Fri 10-May-13 21:27:52

I really hope you get the job. Present company does not deserve you at all.

maddening Fri 10-May-13 21:31:01

well you made the right choice going for the job! He has told you that he doesn't value you pretty much and the other employees getting substantial payrises proves that - the fact that you are one of the 2 final candidates shows otherwise imo - will keep everything crossed for you smile

maddening Fri 10-May-13 21:42:20

well you made the right choice going for the job! He has told you that he doesn't value you pretty much and the other employees getting substantial payrises proves that - the fact that you are one of the 2 final candidates shows otherwise imo - will keep everything crossed for you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now