Talk

Advanced search

to have asked if 5 year old could swim alone?

(7 Posts)
princessj29 Wed 17-Apr-13 22:39:37

We went swimming at the weekend - 5 year old, 10 month old and I. After 1.5 hours baby was tired. Impossible to tire 5 year old wanted to swim for longer - before baby we'd been known to be there for 5 hours once! 5 year old is a very good swimmer, she is in the same swim class/stage as 8/9 year olds. There is a seating area 2 metres from pool edge, I asked lifeguard if I could sit there feeding/with sleeping baby while DD swam for longer - obviously I'd be watching her at all times and wouldn't expect them to give her special treatment. He said no and tonight I took DD to swimming lessons and heard him talking in shock about me to receptionist about me being 'that woman willing to let her 5 year old swim alone.' There were at least 15 kids in the pool alone and unsupervised who couldn't swim at all but because they're a couple of years older that makes it ok? Seems daft to me. WIBU to have asked?

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Wed 17-Apr-13 22:42:44

Were you getting dressed or staying in your swimwear?

My 5yr old was a swimmer too, joined a club when she was just 6 but no I wouldn't have left her alone in the water at that age.

princessj29 Wed 17-Apr-13 22:57:28

Staying in swimwear. She'd be no more out of reach if I was at the side of the pool than she would if I was in the pool keeping baby away from her splashing

jgjgjg Wed 17-Apr-13 23:11:51

Why did you ask the lifeguard? I'd have just done it personally.

foreverondiet Wed 17-Apr-13 23:16:18

I think 1.5 hours is long enough in the pool and the rules generally are that for under 8 need to be in water with the child. I think part of the reasoning is that older kids can stand in the water - also they need to have an age cut off - I have parents leaving kids in water and playing on ipads on side of pool - would be easy to miss something esp if entertaining 10 month old. You weren't unreasonable to ask, they weren't unreasonable to say no - but they were unreasonable to comment on you - obvious that it would have been ok but just not allowed due to staff ratio rules.

FWIW I wanted to do swimming party for DS1 - he is 7 - its not viable as need 1 adult to 2 kids. But if we do for his 8th birthday then no adults needs to be in water (unless we have kids under 8) - madness!

foreverondiet Wed 17-Apr-13 23:16:43

And yes - I would have done it too, until I got told off!

princessj29 Wed 17-Apr-13 23:21:24

Only asked because DD is a goody two shoes (in the nicest possible way) and was worried she'd be told off. There were older children in deep end alone who couldn't swim, she can swim but isn't allowed in shallow end alone - will never understand their logic but understand they've got to cover their arses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now