Talk

Advanced search

Nursery has really annoyed me AIBU

(13 Posts)
TakingTheStairs Wed 17-Apr-13 14:51:58

I'm pregnant, but very early days. I have made some enquiries into one of my local nurseries as I know demand is very high and I wanted to find out out how early I need to get a name on their list. To give you an idea, they are booked up for new places for the rest of this year and the first couple of months for next year already.

They've just sent a generic email out to see if I had made decision on childcare. I have no issue on that.
My issue is that they put all the email addresses in the "to" field so that I can see everyone's email and they can see mine. DH and I haven't told anyone that I'm pregnant yet and I'd hate anyone to find out that I'm pregnant through this email.

AIBU to think that it's unprofessional and irresponsible to send a group email with everyone's email & name on view, especially when it relates to childcare?

SizzleSazz Wed 17-Apr-13 14:53:03

YADNBU

MrsHoarder Wed 17-Apr-13 14:54:53

If you want to complain, your email is personal data according to the data protection act and should be protected in accordance with it.

TakingTheStairs Wed 17-Apr-13 15:14:16

That's interesting MrsHoarder, I'll keep that in mind thank you.

Tee2072 Wed 17-Apr-13 15:21:20

Yes, I would be very very annoyed.

Hegsy Wed 17-Apr-13 15:22:22

Yup I'd be annoyed with that

Wishiwasanheiress Wed 17-Apr-13 15:23:50

I'd guess was done by a junior? If u call them I bet it was a mistake. For reasons described...

austenozzy Wed 17-Apr-13 15:26:39

It's a breach of data protection, as MrsHoarder says.

This is an interesting read:
www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/libertycentral/2010/apr/26/email-data-protection-breach

TakingTheStairs Wed 17-Apr-13 15:57:20

They've emailed me and apologised and said it was a mistake.
Not much more I can do about it except hope nobody I know saw my name.

MoaningYoniWhingesAgain Wed 17-Apr-13 16:26:01

I had similar from a council once. The childrens centre sent emails like this, instead of using bcc.

A council worker with a 2nd job sent me a marketing email for their personal side business. It was a new email address so I knew where they had got it from and misused it and I went fairly apeshit.

Emsmaman Wed 17-Apr-13 16:32:53

They definitely shouldn't have done that and tbh I think it's unlikely other people would scan the "to" list for people they know, but if anyone spots it and mentions it to you perhaps you could say they had your email address because you once had to pick up a friend's child? Our nursery requires photos on file of anyone other than the parents even for a one off pick up so I would think that was a valid excuse.

Emsmaman Wed 17-Apr-13 16:33:20

And congratulations, of course!

badguider Wed 17-Apr-13 16:37:18

Yes, but it was probably a mistake. I would point it out to them and check they're aware they should always use the bcc field.

I email parents regularly for guide activities and have to always use the bcc field in case they see each other's 'private email addresses' but I won't be able to promise that in all the years I've done it I've never used the 'to' field by mistake. Yes, it's wrong, it's bad, but if it happens it's a genuine mistake.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now