Talk

Advanced search

if you want something done, do it yourself

(10 Posts)
babybarrister Wed 17-Apr-13 11:48:27

that's it really - just here for a friendly rant. I am on numerous committees and I know what I am meant to be doing on those committees and do it. I never willingly accept any position connected with IT as
(a) I am useless - save for MN
(b) I hate it

so WTF am I sorting out IT problems when there are other people on the committee who are meant to be doing it?????

I have made my views reasonably clear on this to my colleagues grin

In general though, this is one of those unwritten life principles isn't it?!

aldiwhore Wed 17-Apr-13 11:55:23

No it isn't.

I absolutely think that if YOU want something done, you should do it yourself, or at least arange it so that it will be done.

You don't 'do' IT, so don't do it, it needs to be done however, so your committee need to address this together. If the person who is supposed to sort the IT isn't doing it, then you need to call a meeting to replace them with someone who will.

The PTA hate me, because I'm not a martyr.

You need to take a stand and say you're the wrong person for this job, you didn't agree to it, you won't be doing it and arrange for this at present, otherwise overcovered role to be filled. Do NOT carry on doing it. smile

AMumInScotland Wed 17-Apr-13 12:04:30

So is it your IT problem and you're not getting any support, or someone else's IT problem and you've got dragged into it?

Either way, I think you should simply say "Not my area" and leave it to someone who does have responsibility for this.

babybarrister Wed 17-Apr-13 12:06:21

these are voluntary committees BTW ie on a par with PTA ....

I have get website up and running as it is advertising imminent event which of course I am the only who has arranged!!!

lottiegarbanzo Wed 17-Apr-13 12:13:28

Don't be a martyr and stop creating pointless, unappreciated work for yourself. That is exactly where this principle leads you.

You'll find that if you stop doing it, either the tasks are important enough that somene else will do them or actually, no-one else thought they were that important in the first place.

If something really needs to be done and you're not the person to do it, take it to the committee meeting, make the case for need, with a proposal for its delivery by others and, if they accept one without taking on the other, that's their choice and responsibility for the consequences.

If you go around imposing perfectionist assumptions on group tasks you will end up both frustrated and unappreciated.

daftdame Wed 17-Apr-13 12:58:41

What is more annoying (or amazing depending on your viewpoint) is when you weren't an expert but become one from doing it all the time! Then it's "Oh but you do it sooo well!" grin hmm

Then because you've done that well people suggest other things for you to wave your magic wand over. Stop this as soon as you have reached this is really taking the p*ss threshold!

lottiegarbanzo Wed 17-Apr-13 13:45:21

Btw, if I sound harsh it's because I've experienced this and found that 'too much' work creates discomfort amongst others, so lack of appreciation in proportion to the work done, whereas doing a few little things and making a lot of noise about it generates adulation. You have to take people with you.

But the clue is in your title, if YOU want something done, then yes. If a group, or other people want something done then they collectively have to find ways to do it. (I can't bear the sort of committee where the risk of offending someone who ought to be doing something but isn't, is considered more important than the risk of getting nothing useful done. That really is the world of meetings for meetings sake and membership for the sake of status only).

daftdame Wed 17-Apr-13 14:26:09

Hmm makes sense Lottie...as long as as you don't go for the really hard sell re. the risk of offending. If no one wants to do it then it really isn't needed (as you said before)

Lots of people, in my experience, will always be able to suggest the things they don't know much about or cannot do.

The people who KNOW may reject a task because they KNOW it is more trouble than it is worth (and if accepted the trouble would be theirs).

If no one knows but no one cares enough to do anything about it, well don't do it. If one person really cares but no one knows about it then the person who cares should decide whether they will attempt it (personally).

grin I think we all agree!

babybarrister Wed 17-Apr-13 15:37:43

I did not take offence - I am committee woman - it is in my blood - i guess I just have to shoulder the good times with the bad ......grin

babybarrister Wed 17-Apr-13 15:53:36

FWIW I have now of course managed to sort out the fkg problem and website is now up and running again .....smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now