Talk

Advanced search

to think the NHS needs to sort this out?

(44 Posts)
ruledbyheart Wed 17-Apr-13 11:40:53

Took DC1 today to have his MMR jab after receipt a letter from the NHS stating he needs it, after waiting over an hour because they are running late I get told he can't have the jab as he should have had it last year and they are unsure whether he has had it or not as they lost his notes.

I have no record of whether he had them or not as like I told them plenty of times his red book went missing in our house move (same area) last year.

They can't double dose him and can't tell me where his previous notes are to see if he needs it, but obviously if he did have them why would the NHS send me a letter stating he needs it?

AIBU to think the NHS are incompetent for losing his notes in the first place and some one needs to find out whats happening so he doesn't either endup unvaccinated or with a double dose?

DC1 also has a lot of medical history in these notes due to a recurrent illness that they now have no record of so if he needs medical treatment for this again they can't say what has already been tried etc.

aldiwhore Wed 17-Apr-13 11:42:19

Surely you will know if he had it or not?

Yes the NHS are unreasonable for losing his notes, but then you are equally unreasonable for losing yours.

SorrelForbes Wed 17-Apr-13 11:45:19

Was this at your GP surgery? If so, then they should have your DC's notes. Have you recently transferred there from another surgery? If so, the notes may be in transit. Your old GP surgery should have a record on their IT system of which vaccinations your DC have had.

In addition, your local Child Health Information department will hold this information on their system. It's this data which generates the invitation to come for future vaccinations. Your GP surgery should be able to contact them for the info (if you have moved recently, then it'll be the CHID in your previous area until the data is transferred over).

Softlysoftly Wed 17-Apr-13 11:45:33

Seriously? You lost his notes too and how do you not know if he had it or not confused

They shouldn't have lost them but "people in charge" aren't your mother to wipe your nose and hold your hand.

Hate that attitude.

ruledbyheart Wed 17-Apr-13 11:52:28

Maybe I am just very unorganized, I have 3DCs who are always having jabs but I couldn't tell you exactly what for.

Our previous surgery shut down so we where transfered to the nexr nearest one.

I didn't lose his notes on purpose like I am sure they didn't do it on purpose but surely the NHS should have a copy somewhere as it seems very dangerous for them to just lose someone's notes, what if someone was having specific meds for an important medical issue abd they suddenly had no record of it?

aldiwhore Wed 17-Apr-13 12:01:43

So, did your DC1 have a jab last year?

If I'm being grumpy I will explain why. My Mum has 3 children, she can't ever remember who had what, when... this has been a PITA for me my whole bloody life, especially when asked if I've had this jab or that illness in childhood, my mum simply cannot remember. I love my mum dearly, but these are important things to keep track of, not just NOW whilst your children are children, but also when they grow up.

I'm disorganised too, massively so, and I'm sure my children will despair at me one day for something, but I have kept a record (in a notebook I only use for storing information that I may one day need) of both my children's jabs over the years, and major illnesses.

Sorry if I'm giving you a hard time, and YES the NHS should have hard copies and electronic copies of files, but things do get lost in the ether, so I'd always recommend keeping a basic track of significant things in your own and your children's healthcare.

I would chase this up certainly...

SorrelForbes Wed 17-Apr-13 12:01:59

No, there is only one (paper) copy of your Primary Care notes. These start from birth and follow you from GP surgery to GP surgery. How recently did you transfer surgeries?

All GP surgerys have IT systems and your DC's vax info should be on either your previous or your present GP's systems.

Lamazeroo Wed 17-Apr-13 12:07:27

I do think you should be aware what vaccinations your children have had!

CandidaDoyle Wed 17-Apr-13 12:08:14

I temporarily lost my dd's red book in a house move to a new area. I couldn't remember what jabs she'd had on what date. I mentioned this to the health visitor, and she was able to access the records in another area the same date to confirm all was up to date later the same day.

Could it be worth calling the health visitor to see if they could help at all?

SorrelForbes Wed 17-Apr-13 12:10:17

AnnieSloan Yep, the HV would probably have contacted their local CHID who would have then contacted the previous area CHID to access the info. Sounds complicated but doesn't take long.

It would be much easier of course if everyone was on the same IT system but that's another thread!

ruledbyheart Wed 17-Apr-13 12:10:59

Aldiwhore I had record of everything up until DC1 redbook went missing last year in a house move (was a rush job as was at risk - another story).

I'm pretty sure he hasn't had the second MMR jab but couldn't be certain.

The surgery have everyone else's notes but it's as if my DC1 never existed, the only information they have for him is what they have had since the transfer.

SorrelForbes Wed 17-Apr-13 12:12:16

ruledbyheart When did you transfer? Your GP surgery needs to contact the DOH department where all records get sent when you de-register from a GP surgery,

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Wed 17-Apr-13 12:14:25

If his own mother doesn't know if he's had it why would they???

noblegiraffe Wed 17-Apr-13 12:15:10

Incidentally, a double dose would be fine.

ruledbyheart Wed 17-Apr-13 12:17:09

Lamazeroo thank you I think we have already established I am obviously a useless mum for losing the records of what jabs he has and hasn't, shame I didn't think to check I had absolutely everything in my rush to move home to keep out of danger.

The GPs transfered us last August.

Thank you for the advice I will contact myhealth visitor and see what she says.

DebsMorgan Wed 17-Apr-13 12:17:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PickleSarnie Wed 17-Apr-13 12:19:49

I don't believe that a double dose is a problem. We went to France during their outbreak of measles a year or so ago which was a few months before DS was due his MMR. So he got given it there and then but still had to have his two scheduled jabs.

ruledbyheart Wed 17-Apr-13 12:20:20

Where'smycaffeinedrip um because it's their profession?
I have already explained why I haven't got his records about his jabs, yes its not great but not a lot I can do, however as a doctors surgery who writes the notes surely they have a duty to not lose them.

what if this was a person with dementia who didn't know what meds she needed or what she has medically wrong with her?!

ruledbyheart Wed 17-Apr-13 12:21:13

Debsmorgan damn sorry I can't be a perfect parent like yourself.

ChunkyPickle Wed 17-Apr-13 12:23:57

I'm also very unorganised, and to add to the fun DS has had his jabs spread over two countries.

The way I know what jabs he's had is both in the red (and yellow from other country) book, and because I know that I've got them done to schedule in both countries - so even if I lost the books, I know that I've had what he should have had done.

Are you the kind of person who's definitely taken them for everything they should have?

If you're still unsure, then a double dose really won't do any harm..

DebsMorgan Wed 17-Apr-13 12:24:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FutTheShuckUp Wed 17-Apr-13 12:24:23

Its not great they've lost his notes but take some ownership here. Vaccines are a little more important than not knowing what date your little one first said dadda or had their first hair cut. And ftr im the scattiest most disorganised mare on the planet and managed to keep their red books safe through house moves and other less than ideal circumstances

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Wed 17-Apr-13 12:28:24

I realise that probably sounded harsher than I meant it to, but if you have good reason to have lost his notes then I think you have to realise that occasionally it might happen the other way round. Is it ideal ? No? But systems crash , computers get viruses, records can get lost in post, emails r not always received etc. no one sets out to loose records but occasionally it happens.

ruledbyheart Wed 17-Apr-13 12:29:02

I haven't said its all their fault obviously if my records hadn't been lost then I wouldn't have this problem, but as far as I was thinking that its a lot more irresponsible for medical professionals tolose a patients notes then a relative of the patient.

Obviously I am being unreasonable and should have known better then to ask a lot of mums who are perfect and have never lost anything - talk about throwing myself into the vipers nest.

Trapper Wed 17-Apr-13 12:29:19

I haven't got a clue which vacs my children have had. They definitely went to all their appointments, but I'm not sure which was which. I remember they had BCG because it not a routine one for all areas of the UK. In one appointment, when I asked what jab he was being given I was lectured about how important vacs were and the GP didn't actually tell me (I assume that one was the MMR...). GP is responsible for maintaining their medical notes, I have no intention of keeping a duplicate set.
YANBU

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now