Talk

Advanced search

to think this funeral is as important as Mrs Thatcher's ?

(7 Posts)
drudgewithagrudge Wed 17-Apr-13 09:50:16

Tomorrow I am attending the funeral of a lady of 94 who none of you will have heard of. She spent her life in obscurity but managed to touch the hearts of those who knew her.

She was married for over 50 years and as a young wife she saw her husband leave the village to fight in World War Two. He was away for several years and she brought up their two young sons until he returned.

The household was poor but they worked hard together to give the boys a good life. Like many women of her generation she could make a meal out of very little and baked,washed,knitted,sewed and cleaned cheerfully.

Tomorrow the little village church will be packed with people who loved and respected her. Children,grandchildren and great grandchildren. No doubt the British Legion who she sold poppies for every year until old age took it's toll will be represented and although a lot of her generation are gone there are still people who remember her good humour and kindness.

On paper she achieved very little but I shall be proud to attend her funeral.

NinaHeart Wed 17-Apr-13 10:01:54

RIP that lady.
Today I will pray for her as a true representative of the person I would like to be.

Feminine Wed 17-Apr-13 10:04:07

Well obviously confused

UnChartered Wed 17-Apr-13 10:06:14

RIP thanks

i hope the sun shines on you all and your memories of the day you said your final goodbye are fitting and peaceful

schoolgovernor Wed 17-Apr-13 10:18:29

It is to you, but not to the rest of the world because they didn't know her.
She sounds a grand old lady and she's going to have a great send off from all her friends, which is what matters really.

Kafri Wed 17-Apr-13 10:37:36

on friday I will be attending a funeral. again someone who achieved a lot in their life without being public property. she raised 3 kids single handedly after her hudband passed away while the youngest was 5. she worked every single day to pay gor those children. she supported them in their achievements and latterly watched as her 2 girls became mums themselves.
im going to this funeral as im that youngest child!

she suffered a fatal stroke just days before MT and just 2 days after watching my little one be baptised.

RIP mum - back in the arms of daddy! xx

ohforfoxsake Wed 17-Apr-13 10:40:17

Drudge and Kaf,

Your words for those you have lost are more touching than any of those I have heard for Mrs T.

I am sorry for your loss sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now