Talk

Advanced search

To want people to back off a bit?!

(18 Posts)
phantomhairpuller Tue 16-Apr-13 19:28:36

Namely my MIL! I'm 38+ weeks pregnant with DC2 and have been having a few mild twinges/back ache for a couple of days now. Also lost mucus plug at w/e. MIL knows all of this through her constant questioning and has consequently been texting me a couple of times a day and ringing in the evening just to ask if there's any news!! Does she honestly think if there was any news I wouldn't tell her?! I know she's excited and that's fine but ffs just back off a bit woman! DH just finds it funny hmm
Maybe IABU but if that's the case I'm blaming my hormones!

SantanaLopez Tue 16-Apr-13 19:31:40

Tell her it was just a false alarm and all symptoms have disappeared. So annoying.

Theicingontop Tue 16-Apr-13 19:35:34

Tell her if you feel pressured or stressed (for example by constant texts and demands for updates!), it could halt any labour that might progress.

Then put your feet up.

MamaBear17 Tue 16-Apr-13 19:35:48

This drove me mad in the last two weeks. Reply to the next text with 'As soon as something happens, we will call you'. Then ignore all other texts and phone calls!

MamaBear17 Tue 16-Apr-13 19:36:29

Posted too soon - meant to say YANBU!

elportodelgato Tue 16-Apr-13 19:37:40

Next time she calls say 'oh yes I had the baby this morning but we couldn't be bothered to tell you'

seriouscakeeater Tue 16-Apr-13 19:47:06

grin elport oh dear... i'm waiting for my MIL to start revving up! This will be DH first. After being told she wasn't invited to be in the labour room, she is now going to sit in the car out side........mental!

good luck!

Ionasky Tue 16-Apr-13 19:47:18

turn off phone. i'd be annoyed - in fact, i was annoyed when i had dd (quite a lengthy business) and got told off by both sets of parents because of the length of time between updates!

Seriously, tell dh that you getting worked up isn't good for your (eventual) labour! At least she's keen to babysit though!

elfycat Tue 16-Apr-13 19:53:00

My MIL went on holiday leaving me with instructions not to have DD1 until she got back.

Well done DD1 on being 4 weeks early!

With DD2 the only person we told were my parents as they were babysitting DD1. They waited for us to call them (around 2am) so no-one bothered me during either labour.

phantomhairpuller Tue 16-Apr-13 21:49:51

Elport, that's what I feel like saying!! She's now informed us she'll be 'popping in' on her way back from work tomorrow evening. She works 30miles in the other direction. Give. Me. Strength.

seriouscakeeater Tue 16-Apr-13 21:54:33

op text her and say no. Tell her your in bed resting and will ring her when its over you know anything. Friggin pushy MILs!! angry

SantanaLopez Tue 16-Apr-13 21:55:42

Remember those plans you made aaages ago for tomorrow night? Tell your MIL about them, you poor thing.

NakedPanpipeLady Tue 16-Apr-13 21:57:08

No yanbu. Is this her first grandchild? She clearly cares but I can understand if you're feeling suffocated from her constant attention. Maybe your DH can have a quiet word, explain your need for peace to help your health. Hope all goes well for you.

PoppyWearer Tue 16-Apr-13 22:01:20

Ah, but tomorrow night is when you'll be eating curry and pineapple and trying ahem other methods to get baby to arrive, won't you?

Oops, sorry, MIL, too much information?

2rebecca Tue 16-Apr-13 22:07:22

I would ask her to stop phoning, tell her nicely that all the phoning is making you feel pressurised and you feel she is getting inpatient with you even if that isn't her intention. maybe remind her that she doesn't normally phone you all the time and tell her that you will phone her after the birth but would like a restful time before the birth and not to be always answering the phone.
My relatives didn't hassle me but I think my SIL must have had alot of phone hassle because my brother sent round an email asking all relatives and friends to please stop phoning and saying they would be told when the baby had arrived.

2rebecca Tue 16-Apr-13 22:08:42

impatient for you to be an inpatient

2rebecca Tue 16-Apr-13 22:09:50

Must admit there is no way I would discuss mucous plugs with any relatives. You don't have to answer her prying questions fully or honestly, do it like a politician.

LimitedEditionLady Tue 16-Apr-13 22:10:21

Sounds like my MIL!Haha sorry to say but she still annoys me from time to time now too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now