Talk

Advanced search

I've just seen an advert for Coke Zero where they trick people into thinking they're drinking Fat Coke.

(58 Posts)
CantThinkOfAYoniPun Tue 16-Apr-13 11:32:14

WTF?

I woudl go MENTAL. I hate artificial sweeteners but do quite like the occasional coke, especially at the cinema.

What on earth made them think this ad was a good idea?

Basically, it's in a cinema, the bloke from the sweet kiosk appears on the cinema screen and tells the audience that they woudl love Coke Zero, in fact they wouldn't tell the difference from Coke. And then reveals that he gave them all Coke Zero secretly.

I mean WHAT? That's not how you build trust in a brand.

I think I might boycott. Erm. or something.

awkwardsis Tue 16-Apr-13 11:33:12

I really don't think they actually did it you know. It's an advert. It wouldn't be worth the potential legal suit should someone have issues with it.

CantThinkOfAYoniPun Tue 16-Apr-13 11:34:24

No I know that!

I just think it#'s a stupid idea for an advert.

As in 'ha! You thickos! We tricked you with this horsemeat similar-but-not-at-all-comparable product'.

It annoyed me.

flowery Tue 16-Apr-13 11:35:13

Isn't the whole selling point of Coke Zero that it tastes just like fat coke, which Diet Coke does not? And the ad is trying to 'prove' that.

Not sure I see the issue tbh.

SPsYoniTheOneAndOnly Tue 16-Apr-13 11:36:26

Diet coke is the work of the devil. It has no taste.

Its just an advert.

wibblyjelly Tue 16-Apr-13 11:37:28

I think its a silly advert, as you can tell the difference anyway! I'd be going back to the kiosk to complain that my coke didn't taste right grin

WorraLiberty Tue 16-Apr-13 11:37:33

Tbh if they can't tell the difference between the two drinks, they must have had their taste buds removed and shoved up their arses or something.

flowery Tue 16-Apr-13 11:38:00

Diet Coke is yum I'll have you know.

grin

Branleuse Tue 16-Apr-13 11:38:13

they probably all wondered why their coke tasted so shit and left that weird aftertaste

SchroSawMargeryDaw Tue 16-Apr-13 11:38:31

You're over reacting.

And 'fat' coke tastes disgusting, it's too sticky feeling.

Remotecontrolduck Tue 16-Apr-13 11:41:03

It is a shit advert, but does coke zero taste anything like fat coke? I'm not a fan of diet but wish the regular stuff had a decent tasting alternative!

KatyMac Tue 16-Apr-13 11:42:18

Massively intolerant/allergic to sweetners......

MadCap Tue 16-Apr-13 11:43:40

I like coke zero! I hate all other diet sodas, it is quite close. Cherry coke zero is quite good too, but I've only seen it in America.

flowery Tue 16-Apr-13 11:44:20

Zero definitely tastes much more like fat Coke than Diet Coke does Remote.

PersonalClown Tue 16-Apr-13 11:44:26

Diet Coke is nectar of the Gods!!! I love it.

I tried Coke Zero to check the taste. Bleurgh. No difference in taste, my left arse cheek!

YoniBottsBumgina Tue 16-Apr-13 11:44:42

I don't think most people's problem with sweeteners is that they are damaging, though. Most people who prefer sugary drinks just prefer the taste. And this is trying to show you there is a drink which tastes as good but without the "evil" sugar.

thecapitalsunited Tue 16-Apr-13 11:45:04

Coke zero is nearer normal Coke but you can still taste the difference. It just doesn't have quite the same depth of flavour that the normal stuff does. It's almost like slightly watered down Coke.

kim147 Tue 16-Apr-13 11:45:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I think YANBU, CantThink - that advert pisses me off too.

lazarusb Tue 16-Apr-13 11:47:53

I can't believe anyone buys those overpriced buckets of coke or whatever else in the cinema anyway - the most unbelievable thing about that advert is that EVERYONE in the audience has one! grin

MyNameIsSpecial Tue 16-Apr-13 11:52:05

Someone will have to explain me what fat Coke is. I mean there is no more fats in Diet/Zero Coke than in Coke... Actually there is no fat at all. Just sugar.

confusteling Tue 16-Apr-13 11:52:14

Looks like it's real ([http://www.coca-cola.co.uk/press-centre/2013/april/coke-zero-taste-experiment.html here)]

I'd be a tad peeved if I paid for one drink and was given another version of it..

There's a definite taste difference between fat coke and diet coke, and even worse difference between diet and zero. The zero coke reminds me of the 3 quarters fizzy water/1 quarter syrup stuff that you get at Maccy D's etc, it's nasty!

AuroraAlfresco Tue 16-Apr-13 11:53:56

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2012/10/06/aspartame-damages-the-brain-at-any-dose/

Just sayin', like ... grin

confusteling Tue 16-Apr-13 11:53:56

[http://www.coca-cola.co.uk/press-centre/2013/april/coke-zero-taste-experiment.html Here], sorry!

confusteling Tue 16-Apr-13 11:54:44

for goodness sake, here third time lucky!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now