Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to think its bloody arrogant to not RSVP?

(34 Posts)
M0naLisa Tue 16-Apr-13 11:03:40

I sent out invitations to family members and some friends for DS3 Christening.
I've got 1 RSVP out of all of them.
(Not including mum, dad, FIL etc) but my cousins haven't let me know and neither have main friends.

Aibu to think its bloody arrogant. And wibu to not cater for them.;-)

flowery Tue 16-Apr-13 11:07:57

When is the christening?

CleverClod Tue 16-Apr-13 11:11:15

YABVU, they are not arrogant in not replying, but they are very rude and ignorant.

Don't order them anything and if they turn up tell them you thought they weren't going as they hadn't responded, hat'll teach 'em!

M0naLisa Tue 16-Apr-13 11:12:39

It's not till August but I need to know for catering by end of April for the caterers. Plus there's people not going because of numbers who I'd like there. But family 'comes first'

M0naLisa Tue 16-Apr-13 11:13:11

What's the difference between arrogant and ignorant? I thought they were te same hmm

WorraLiberty Tue 16-Apr-13 11:13:30

Can't say unless you tell us when the christening is and how long ago you sent the invitations.

WorraLiberty Tue 16-Apr-13 11:14:14

X posts

When did you send the invites?

M0naLisa Tue 16-Apr-13 11:14:59

Been a month since sent invites and it's beginning of August.
I've missed friends off the list because ive to invite family first. Need to know for catering reasons and church numbers. Can't have more than 70.

LunaticFringe Tue 16-Apr-13 11:14:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

M0naLisa Tue 16-Apr-13 11:15:25

Ahh thanks for clearing that up

WorraLiberty Tue 16-Apr-13 11:17:22

It's frustrating but if they received an invite in March and it's not until August, perhaps they think there's plenty of time to reply?

Do they know you need to sort out the catering numbers 4 months in advance?

DeepRedBetty Tue 16-Apr-13 11:17:26

I think both apply in this case...

I'm afraid you're going to have to do a telephone chase session, clearly explaining what you've told us about catering.

flowery Tue 16-Apr-13 11:18:16

If the invitation was clear when you need to know by, and that is end April, and the christening isn't until August, then YABU. They are a bit late responding though.

If you have a B list who will come if family can't/don't then does it matter for numbers? Yes they should respond, but if you'll have other guests if they don't come then surely numbers for catering and church etc will be the same?

Also can your caterers really not cope with any changes from 4 months out?

ClaudiaSchiffer Tue 16-Apr-13 11:18:57

Did you give them a reply by date Op?

M0naLisa Tue 16-Apr-13 11:22:47

Yes reply by 30th April (I know it's not 30th but when I receive an invite I RSVP straight away) the family members I'm waiting on are the higher end of the spectrum in my family - meaning they think they're better than everyone else!!

I think il just not going to chase them. If they don't RSVP. They don't get catered for, and someone will go in their place!!! Fuck em!!!

YellowDinosaur Tue 16-Apr-13 11:22:51

Unless you put in the invitation you need to know by end of April then I think yabu - your guests will be thinking they have loads of time to respond.

I also think your caterers are ridiculous in needing 4 months notice for numbers but that's not the point of this AIBU really.

chickenfactory Tue 16-Apr-13 11:23:06

Unless there was a clear RSVP date I'm not sure i would have replied by now. August seems a long way off, I'd think I still had plenty of time.

M0naLisa Tue 16-Apr-13 11:23:37

I know - strange but I agreed

YellowDinosaur Tue 16-Apr-13 11:25:42

Cross posted - in that case YANBU if they don't reply by 30th April but yabu to be so stressed now with a couple of Weeks to go until then!

You would be unreasonable though to just not cater for them and ask others in their place without chasing though even though they should reply by the date you've set.

flowery Tue 16-Apr-13 11:26:07

Do you have some other reason to think they think they are better than everyone else? confused

You sound disproportionately angry at people not responding when they have two more weeks to do so.

It's the sort of thing I'd do, forget to RSVP immediately but still do it before the deadline. Never would occur to me that a family member would think I thought I was better than anyone else.

If you need to know now what's so difficult about chasing them?

flowery Tue 16-Apr-13 11:26:59

Oh, and the caterers not accepting any changes to numbers after 4 months out is beyond ridiculous. For our wedding we had to confirm final numbers 24 hours before.

Branleuse Tue 16-Apr-13 11:27:53

Arrogant?? why arrogant?

Annoying and rude for sure

dreamingbohemian Tue 16-Apr-13 11:29:38

I think YABU to be so angry actually

You can't say people haven't RSVPed when it's only mid-April. They have a couple weeks yet! I'm sure a lot of people don't know what they're doing in August yet, it is prime holiday time.

And, if you have people who will go if your family decline, then what difference does it make who specifically RSVPs or not? Just tell the caterers 70 people. If you don't have enough family, get some friends in.

Also I find it crazy the caterer needs to know exact numbers 4 months out.

crashdoll Tue 16-Apr-13 11:31:39

YABU, it's 2 weeks from the deadline!

jacks365 Tue 16-Apr-13 11:38:39

YABU but so is your caterer. Quite simply i wouldn't at this point be able to say for August. I'd want to come and if you insisted i'd say yes but i'd possibly then drop out later so if you make them confirm at this time they may still change their minds later, doing it so early means you'll have far more late drop outs or just not turn up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now