Talk

Advanced search

To hate people snoring on the train

(21 Posts)
cogitosum Tue 16-Apr-13 08:37:34

Aargh! On the train to work and this guy sitting behind has been snoring the whole way really loudly and unpleasantly (ie rattling flem!).

AIBU to think this is really disgusting and anti social.

DH is much more patient than me and says it's not the guy's fault but I think he should not sleep on the train as he must know he snores! It's not as if it's a really early train!

MildredH Tue 16-Apr-13 08:42:31

Eeesh. Move seats! I couldn't tolerate that, not for one minute! But then I'm very intolerant! Poor DH is black and blue from the nightly gentle nudges elbows in ribs I try to terminate his rumblings.

reggiebean Tue 16-Apr-13 08:46:11

Meh. It's not the most pleasant thing, but you'd be hard-pressed to cram hundreds of people in a tiny box and ask that they all please not offend one another. It's what headphones were made for.

HazeltheMcWitch Tue 16-Apr-13 08:48:22

He's not doing it on purpose, is he?
Just get headphones, and tune out.

shewhowines Tue 16-Apr-13 08:50:46

He's probably not getting that much sleep at home if he wakes himself up snoring as I do or if his partner keeps nudging poking him awake.

He can't help it. Leave him alone and have some sympathy.

Wommer Tue 16-Apr-13 08:53:53

Not sure if that's worse than the stench of someone (trying to work out who atm) else's hangover that I'm experiencing right now. Is soooooooooo grim.

This is why they invented a) toothpaste and b) chewing gum.

envy (not a jealous face)

Wommer Tue 16-Apr-13 08:54:55

Also SNIFFERS!!!!
Buy dicking tissue!!!!

BobblyGussets Tue 16-Apr-13 08:59:32

Move seats! I don't think I could sit near someone snoring loudly.

On a side note: I couldn't sleep so publicly. I would feel at risk of random attack and would therefore too vulnerable to go to sleep.

Lottashakingoinon Tue 16-Apr-13 09:01:10

Yes I am afraid I think YABU although I'll grant you it's irritating. Snoring and/or apnoea is not something you have any control over once you are actually asleep (there's possibly something that can be done longer term, but I've a feeling the jury's still out on that one) and staying awake on a stuffy train with a soothing rhythm is not always easy either!

The other irritating bodily functions mentioned here are far worse imho!

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Tue 16-Apr-13 09:13:05

I don't suppose he thinks, "I know, I'll get on the train doze off and snore horribly" confused At least you don't have to sit opposite or next to him!

cogitosum Tue 16-Apr-13 10:24:49

I know I am being a bit u as it's not his fault and I wouldn't say anything but it is like nails down a blackboard for me!

I haven't got headphones or it wouldn't be an issue.

I'm 28 weeks pregnant and not sleeping at all at the moment do very irritable!

Lottashakingoinon Tue 16-Apr-13 10:32:16

I know I am being a bit u as it's not his fault and I wouldn't say anything but it is like nails down a blackboard for me!

Oh I know what you mean!! Whistling tunelessly is my equivalent. Pierces my reverie something shocking!

adeucalione Tue 16-Apr-13 10:33:03

Poor man will get home and worry about whether he snored when he fell asleep on the train.

MurderOfProse Tue 16-Apr-13 10:37:47

DH actively chooses to sleep on the train in the morning, in fact he deliberately picks a train where he knows he will get a seat for that reason.

DH also snores. Believe me, I know. He did go to the GP about it but she did some basic blood tests and then shrugged, then we moved six months ago and DH being a man has not got around to seeing our new GP over it yet.

When he falls asleep in the car he snores so I imagine he does on the train too. I do feel for his fellow passengers but at least they don't have to sleep next to it at night!

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Tue 16-Apr-13 10:44:04

I admit I have a thing about people snorting ie not blowing their nose, sickening and bad enough when children do it but adults, yuck!

Sorry you're not sleeping well.

If you feel unsettled stomach-wise, cut out rich or spicy meals late in the evening. Drink a glass of milk or eat a banana before bed as this may help to settle your tum. A bottle of fizzy water within reach you can sip from during the night may help relieve acidity.

If you're having to get up to go to the loo a lot, try and drink less in the hour before bedtime and 'go' before you go to bed.

Just a suggestion, sleep lying on your left hand side to improve circulation, digestion, kidney and liver function.

Bend your knees slightly and place spare pillows to give support for your lower back, tummy, hips and joints. Maybe invest in a memory foam sheet or layer on top of the mattress to relieve painful joints.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Tue 16-Apr-13 10:45:20

Sorry for massive side-track!

BottledWaterandFags Tue 16-Apr-13 10:46:07

wommers yes yes yes yes yes to sniffers. Irritating fucking twats. Blow your fucking nose

treas Tue 16-Apr-13 10:48:30

YABU - some people suffer from sleeping disorders like sleep apnea and will fall asleep anywhere without realising. In the case of sleep apnea the person can stop breathing whilst asleep so if they are lucky will snore loudly in order to breath - if unable to snore they could die.

cogitosum Tue 16-Apr-13 13:05:27

Thank you donkeys. Bizarrely it's not any of those things and By happy coincidence I already sleep on my left side. It's just I wake up about every 3 hours and I'll be completely wide awake for about an hour for no reason! It's exhausting!

adeucalione Tue 16-Apr-13 13:09:17

The sniffers are just people who forgot to pick up a pack of tissues on their way out of the house that morning. They know they are being irritating, but sniffing is preferable to letting snot drip into their lap until they can get somewhere to grab a tissue.

I'm never bothered by these sorts of things, because generally they are things that people can't help doing, but get furious about antisocial and thoughtless behaviour - music too loud, swearing, phones in silent carriage and so on.

BlackholesAndRevelations Tue 16-Apr-13 13:18:02

Won't he miss his stop? not that I've done this once or twice....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now