Talk

Advanced search

AIBU or a bit thick re passport application?

(21 Posts)
BabylonReturns Mon 15-Apr-13 21:36:12

I've just tried to apply for DS' first passport online.

A first passport is £46 for a child, which is reasonable I think.

So I got all the way though the application until it asked for payment, and then it wanted me to pay either £32.50 for a standard application or £42.50 for an express application.

This is an admin fee isn't it, on top of the passport fee?

Is it not an horrendously high admin fee? Or is it only me that thinks so?

If I just go to my post office and pick up a form, I can do the check and send thing for about £10 IIRC.

Or am I being totally thick, and you actually get it cheaper by doing it online??

Trillz Mon 15-Apr-13 21:38:41

What website were you using?

Is it possible that you were using a dodgy website?

I used this website to ensure that I had filled in the form correctly - they then post you the form (for free) and you can then sign it, add photos etcs, and send back.

List of costs.

JambalayaCodfishPie Mon 15-Apr-13 21:38:52

I didn't think you could do it online? You can fill in all your details and they send you a pre-printed form, but it has to be signed etc and then sent back - and you pay then.

Are you definitely on the right site?

verytellytubby Mon 15-Apr-13 21:40:24

Sounds like you are on a dodgy website.

Trillz Mon 15-Apr-13 21:41:38

Was it this one? Or one like it?

Very small smallprint.

"We are not connected to or affiliated with the IPS or any other official Government body. We offer a review and submission service for United Kingdom passport applications for a small processing fee. You can apply independently and at no cost for this by visiting the official website. Please read our Terms of Service before using this website."

FatimaLovesBread Mon 15-Apr-13 21:42:05

You can't apply online. You can put in all they information which they then send on a form to you for you to sign, add photo and declaration and then send back but that's free

lborolass Mon 15-Apr-13 21:43:12

You can't do the application online, you can fill in some of the form and then they send it out to you to sign (I think that's how it works).

I did a child's application earlier this year - it's def. just £46 and I wouldn't pay the check and send extra unless you really aren't confident with forms. It's not too difficult.

I'd be very wary of admin fees - and don't get caught out by the EHIC either this is free whatever some dodgy websites might say.

BabylonReturns Mon 15-Apr-13 21:43:29

Good god, I AM just being thick sad

I was using this website - first one thrown up by pole when searching for online passport application sad http://www.uk-passport.net/forms.html

God help me I would have paid too if they'd taken paypal sad

ilovecolinfirth Mon 15-Apr-13 21:43:31

I don't think you can do it online. You need someone to sign the form to say they know you.

BabylonReturns Mon 15-Apr-13 21:43:51

www.uk-passport.net/forms.html

Sorry link fail sad

DeepRedBetty Mon 15-Apr-13 21:45:21

not possible to apply for the whole thing online. Apart from anything else the photo needs to be endorsed by the countersignatory in her or his own writing.

Get out of that site now and go and get the right form from the post office in the morning.

BabylonReturns Mon 15-Apr-13 21:46:05

Oh bejesus, I am totally thick after all!

I think I'll go the safe way and get a form from the post office.

DeepRedBetty Mon 15-Apr-13 21:46:09

xposted - well done OP!

Willdoitinaminute Mon 15-Apr-13 21:46:18

A child's passport is £46 or £54.75 if you use Post Office check and send service. I would be very wary of any online service simply because you need to have the application countersigned by someone who has known your child for 2+ years even if it is a renewal and you may be opening yourself/child up to identity theft.

CSIJanner Mon 15-Apr-13 21:47:26

I did my youngest's application today. It's £46 plus £8.50 if you want the Post Office to check it for you PLUS the cost of tracked delivery for the birth certificate being posted back should you want it.

The only way you can do it online is through the passport office website itself - they then print it off then charge you postage to send it to you for you to check, sign and send photos with supporting documents back to them. Which is a bit of an arse.

Anything that asks for more in admin is just like those reclaiming PPI companies - they're asking you for money for something that is essentially free on top of the real cost of the passport. Press "escape" and walk away.

ilovepowerhoop Mon 15-Apr-13 21:48:43

https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport - the official website to fill in the application. They will then send it out for you to sign, get countersigned, etc and take to the post office with your photos.

ilovepowerhoop Mon 15-Apr-13 21:50:02

p.s. they dont charge you postage to send the form to you

BabylonReturns Mon 15-Apr-13 21:50:17

Thank you.

I thought I was quite IT savvy, seems not.

Escape button has been pressed!!! smile

Willdoitinaminute Mon 15-Apr-13 22:06:16

Just checked with moneysavingexpert and though it is a service albeit expensive a lot of people are caught out paying double for something they can have checked for less than a tenner.

ShatterResistant Mon 15-Apr-13 22:50:30

I used that website the other day for my baby's first passport. I paid for it and everything, only noticed afterwards that I'd completely wasted 30 quid AND given all our personal details to some rogue firm. Felt completely duped. Oh well. At least the application form did arrive - so at least they're doing what they say they will, even if it is a totally worthless service... Must be more careful...

apostropheuse Mon 15-Apr-13 22:58:49

Someone mentioned that you need to get the form countersigned by a person who's known your child for two plus years. It's actually someone who's known YOU for two plus years, not the child.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: