Talk

Advanced search

My grapes are full of ants T-T

(10 Posts)
PrincessTeacake Mon 15-Apr-13 19:49:43

Its been a really long day at work, just got out of the shower and was looking forward to eating the full box. I'm staying in a b+b on work nights and left the grapes in a drawer. Now the box is full of fucking crawly black ant bastards.

Please talk me out of eating them anyway...

Euphemia Mon 15-Apr-13 19:50:58

Oh my goodness nooo! They'll have laid eggs in them and done poos and wees - nooooo!

HollyBerryBush Mon 15-Apr-13 19:51:01

Protein - just nibble 'em!

Yonirubbishnamesleft Mon 15-Apr-13 20:30:12

Just wash em and eat them. Ants were crawling on them before they were picked and bagged.

Mandy2003 Mon 15-Apr-13 20:32:48

I'd hide the grapes, tip the ants out of the box into the drawer and scream for the B&B proprietors - I reckon you'd get a free week's accommodation grin

But don't count on them not knowing you'd kept food in the drawer: my Nan used to have weekly lodgers and soon found out they were keeping butter in their drawers <boak> <nosy nan icon>

Lueji Mon 15-Apr-13 21:00:32

FGS!
Ants don't lay eggs. Their queens do.
And their poo can be washed.

Euphemia Mon 15-Apr-13 21:08:21

I know full well the reproductive cycle of the ant, thanks.

I was joking, being light-hearted. It's that kind of forum and thread.

Euphemia Mon 15-Apr-13 21:10:21

And I still wouldn't eat them! Yuk! grin

pigsDOfly Mon 15-Apr-13 21:21:36

Agree with Yoni, god knows what's on fruit before we buy it. Just give them a jolly good wash and enjoy them.

Just to put your ants in perspective OP. Long ago, my now exh, once put some grapes on the dining table at the end of a meal. I give him the 3rd degree about how well he'd washed them as I didn't trust him, but he insisted he'd cleaned them thoroughly. I sat there eating these delicious juicy grapes and suddenly noticed down among the bottom one some weird brown and yellow stripes. I lifted them out of the bowl and found the most enormous snail I have ever seen nestling there. I don't know if it was still alive as I didn't hang around long enough to find out.

Needless to say it was years before I could eat another grape.

Not to put you off or anything OP.

TigerSwallowtail Mon 15-Apr-13 23:08:53

I know full well the reproductive cycle of the ant, thanks.

For some reason I can't stop reading this sentence and laughing at the thought of an argument over the reproductive cycle of an ant from such an innocent thread, it's funny how threads can turn.

That's a shame about your grapes OP, make sure you give them a good wash before eating them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now