Talk

Advanced search

To expect no or minimal periods if I have mirena?

(17 Posts)
Buggedoff Mon 15-Apr-13 18:53:33

I've had mirena for 9 months, so long past the settling in phase which was 6 weeks on non-stop bleeding.

So many people that I know in RL and on these boards either get no periods at all, or just a few days spotting with mirena. Not me. I get my period every 21-24 days. It is a proper period which lasts at least 6 days, with 2-3 days of soaking a towel or filling a moon cup every 3-4 hours.

Before mirena, I was filling a moon cup every hour, so I do acknowledge that there has been an improvement. I am no longer tied to the house on heavy days, and I don't think I am anaemic any more.

But I really hoped that I would not have any periods at all. So, AIBU?

I know that I am, but I hate hormonal contraceptives, so I had really hoped to be totally free of periods. If other mirena users still get periods, are they more than just spotting, and did you have bastard periods before you got your coil?

JackieTheFart Mon 15-Apr-13 18:55:02

YANBU.

Same here for me sad PLUS no sex drive whatsoever. Thinking of getting it removed as pissing me off mightily! At least without the Mirena I can judge when I will start and stop bleeding, it just seems to be random at the moment.

Iteotwawki Mon 15-Apr-13 18:59:18

Same here - normal bleeds every 24 days or thereabouts, lasting 4-5 days each. I thought I'd have none too but sadly it's not the case for most people. Depends on age, size of uterus, whether you've had children and random luck, apparently.

havingamadmoment Mon 15-Apr-13 19:01:55

I have the same but I would say the symptoms are far lighter even if the bleeding isn't far fewer days of cramping etc.

Buggedoff Mon 15-Apr-13 19:04:06

That's interesting. I'm 40, with 2 dc. I have no idea about the size of my uterus though confused.

I was wondering if it was to do with how heavy your periods were before the coil? Mine were awful, which is why I had the coil fitted. I will not get it removed, because I know that they would revert to type. I just had high hopes to be free of the bugger altogether <sigh>

Buggedoff Mon 15-Apr-13 19:06:44

One of my friends is not going to replace her coil when it wears out, because she misses having periods. She doesn't want to get to the menopause without another period. Strange.

Tee2072 Mon 15-Apr-13 19:08:14

I still get mine as well. No one said I definitely wouldn't.

Jestrin Mon 15-Apr-13 19:08:17

I was told I would have no periods too but I do but they aren't as heavy (sorry TMI) as before so I put up with it. sad

NeverBeenToMe Mon 15-Apr-13 19:09:44

You had 6 weeks non-stop bleeding after coil fitting? TRY SIX FUCKING MONTHS!!!!!

And, most months, a normal period sad if 11 days is normal

ShanksYoni Mon 15-Apr-13 19:11:02

YANBU.

I'm bleeding and without a sex drive too. Can't wait to get the damn thing out.

Buggedoff Mon 15-Apr-13 19:14:41

In fairness to the doctor, she told me that my bleeding would improve and may well stop. I was never promised that it would stop, it's just that everyone I know with a Mirena has no or minimal periods, so I hoped that I would be the same.

They have improved, so I know that IABU, but I just want rid like my friends <stamps foot>

Bloody hell Never 6 months non stop bleeding!

SagelyNodding Mon 15-Apr-13 19:40:17

With mirena I have v regular light periods, but the added joy of 3 days of spotting when I ovulate, so bleeding to some extent every 2 weeks.

Really annoying, but still better than anything else I have tried...

QueenofLouisiana Mon 15-Apr-13 20:12:05

I have no periods at all, but I have v light spotting once in a while. Mind you, I also bled for 6 months after the first fitting so I reckon that was quite enough! Interestingly, I didn't bleed for more than a day or so when it was taken out and replaced.

smokinaces Mon 15-Apr-13 20:19:40

Give it another few months. Mine was like that. I've had mine coming up 2 years now, and I get routine spotting every 4 weeks, but its light discharge, pantyliner style (still annoying) for 7 days. No need even for a mooncup. So it can keep lightening.

smokinaces Mon 15-Apr-13 20:20:26

Sagely, same as - I have spotting for a day or two when I ovulate too. And ovulation pain. And bloody spots.

But it all beats filling a mooncup within an hour and passing out :-/

auldspinster Mon 15-Apr-13 20:30:42

Stick with it, It took about a year for mine to go away completely. On my second now and have the occasional period but usually a slightly pinkish discharge.

Secondsop Tue 16-Apr-13 00:38:12

I bled on-and-off for over 9 months, including some weeks at a time of very heavy bleeding. I hated it, and felt not-quite-right throughout. Had it removed after a year. After which it took me 2 years to get regular periods back, and those 2 years were obviously brilliantly timed for when we wanted to conceive. Never again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now